Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's Light This Candle, Part Deux

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    That's a tailor, @Trooper224.

"I'm a Space Tailor...."
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    "I'm a Space Tailor...."

"Not for nothin', but that suit does make your ass look big!"

"You're just jealous."
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I'm more curious about the space ninjas behind them.

We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Quote Originally Posted by randyho View Post
    Well done on the thread title, Stephanie. You were quoted.
    Credit goes to Alan Shepard, may peace be upon him. He said it on May 5, 1961 during an unplanned hold of the launch of Freedom 7.

Beautiful launch, great video feed from inside the capsule, and a successful recovery of the first stage.

Good movie, greater book...

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post

"Not for nothin', but that suit does make your ass look big!"

"You're just jealous."
    I dunno, those suits look like “space casual”. Sorta like 5.11’s for the astronaut crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    I'm more curious about the space ninjas behind them.

5 of 8 standing there on the right.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Elon Musk is, apparently, an insufferable prick. But his company developed a new and partially-reusable booster. SpaceX did it for about 60%, give or take, of what Boeing is being paid. Not to mention Boeing is basically flying a booster that was first developed over sixty years ago and, in its current configuration, uses Russian rocket engines (and the cheapest software engineers available).

Right now, if you're going to space, a good motto would be "if it's Boeing, I ain't going".
    Boeing is dying. Soon they'll be just another defense contractor. The main facility in Everett will make some nice low rent housing.

Years ago I was talking to a Boeing facility manager about Airbus. He refereed to Airbus as Scarebus, never would us the company name. Now this.

https://youtu.be/QrMf6ys3yj4
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Don't mean to be a killjoy and I'm really a fan too. I have been since I was a kid watching the moon landings in awe. I was expecting to be close to shedding a tear myself and just didn't. I should have but the coverage just killed it for me. Definitely not a fan of the constant non-stop yammering by the commentators, the background music after ignition and to add to it the thumbnail screen on top of the split screen showing the event. I want to hear the dialog between launch control and the crew. I want to hear the roar of those engines. I want to see it all. Didn't get that and it was sorely disappointing. It was almost a bad sci-fi movie experience. Is it just me or was the prior launch attempt coverage much better? The commentators would shut up when it got close to a checklist event being confirmed, but yesterday they wouldn't shut up at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Jfpatch View Post
    I dunno, those suits look like “space casual”. Sorta like 5.11’s for the astronaut crowd.
    It looks like a spacesuit for a Hollywood flick where the costume designer spent all the budget on the helmet, then whipped out the suit at the last second and said "ah, good enough."

But who cares as long they get our folks there and back safely! USA!
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    Don't mean to be a killjoy and I'm really a fan too. I have been since I was a kid watching the moon landings in awe. I was expecting to be close to shedding a tear myself and just didn't. I should have but the coverage just killed it for me. Definitely not a fan of the constant non-stop yammering by the commentators, the background music after ignition and to add to it the thumbnail screen on top of the split screen showing the event. I want to hear the dialog between launch control and the crew. I want to hear the roar of those engines. I want to see it all. Didn't get that and it was sorely disappointing. It was almost a bad sci-fi movie experience. Is it just me or was the prior launch attempt coverage much better? The commentators would shut up when it got close to a checklist event being confirmed, but yesterday they wouldn't shut up at all?
    A more cut down format would have been more enjoyable to me too.

But, I think they made the right choice by having commentators who seemed to be genuinely emotional and did a good job making the whole thing more accessible to people with minimal interest in the space program who probably would have just turned it off if all they heard were checklists and rocket noise. A second feed would have been cool, but if they can only have one I would rather occasionally hit the mute so they can put out a product that has wider appeal.

User Tag List