Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wheelgun Challenge II

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Officer Debbie Lokie, who instructed at the Houston PD Academy, in the Eighties, had a tip that I found useful. Before I had ever heard of the term “visualization” in a training context, she recommended that the shooter imagIne that the trigger is connected to the front sight, so that the front sight is being pulled into to the rear notch, as the trigger moves rearward. She, of course, admonished us to keep the top of the front sight even with the top of the rear sight, by smoothly and steadily moving the trigger. (This is all paraphrased, as I remember it, from 1983 and 1984.)

Of course, this was a way of combining concentration upon the front sight, with pulling the trigger steadily and smoothly.

Officers Debbie Lokie and Phil Bankston were my main instructors, in DA revolver. Wonderful folks; I am forever in their debt. (I grew up in a household without guns, and though I remedied that upon becoming an adult, I learned DA revolver shooting during the academy, as that is not something so easily self-taught; one really needs personal coaching.)
    RexG:

Thanks for sharing those insights. The hard won knowledge that Officers Lokie and Bankston shared with you is invaluable. Much of our collective knowledge and wisdom is disappearing with regards to fighting with revolvers. The result is that those lessons have to be re-learned. Memorializing these lessons for future generations is something I find very worthwhile.

Bruce
    Bruce Cartwright
    Owner & chief instructor-SAC Tactical
    E-mail: "info@saconsco.com"

Bruce: Another great write up. Side question: As part of the agent pre-hire process, I seem to remember reading an ‘80’s training article concerning the ability of the applicant to pull the double action trigger pull on a revolver. They would hand then an empty revolver and so many trigger pulls were required to pass. It was supposed to be an indicator of being able to pass the Academy. Do you recall the number of pulls to pass ?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Cartwright View Post
    JRV:

I have never had access to the Jet Loaders. If I am not mistaken these are also called SL Variant loaders and are/were made in Germany. I tried to acquire a set but haven't been able to find any. The result was I decide to stick with what I could find/buy easily.
    Bruce - I'm not @JRV, but the Jet Loaders and SL Variants are different products. The Jet Loader is made in Austria and is similar to the Comp III, but smaller. The SL Variant looks about like an HKS but functions differently, and is made in Germany.

I really enjoy your posts!

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Dont they make night sights for the MC?

My m66 has a meprolight front sight that quickly become my favorite front sight of all my guns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salamander View Post
    Yep. I have a Novak tritium front sight on my MC, huge improvement over the factory fiber-optic green blob.
    Brass bead is available, as well:

https://www.novaksights.com/Products.aspx?CAT=9509
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Site Supporter
    Two possible options for carrying speedloaders:

1. Aholster makes a pocket pouch for two speedloaders. I have one for my Detective Special, but have not yet used it since I have not carried this gun as a primary in almost 2 decades.

2. JOX Loader Pouches makes what I believe to be the best belt speedloader pouch I have seen. I do not yet own any, so I cannot comment from actual use. I just checked the webpage, and they have temporarily stopped taking orders, but apparently plan to be back up and running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Bruce - I'm not @JRV, but the Jet Loaders and SL Variants are different products. The Jet Loader is made in Austria and is similar to the Comp III, but smaller. The SL Variant looks about like an HKS but functions differently, and is made in Germany.

I really enjoy your posts!
    revchuck38:

Thanks for educating me on the differences between those two types of loaders. I'm glad you enjoy my posts.

Bruce
    Bruce Cartwright

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector71 View Post
    Bruce: Another great write up. Side question: As part of the agent pre-hire process, I seem to remember reading an ‘80’s training article concerning the ability of the applicant to pull the double action trigger pull on a revolver. They would hand then an empty revolver and so many trigger pulls were required to pass. It was supposed to be an indicator of being able to pass the Academy. Do you recall the number of pulls to pass ?
    Inspector71:

I believe the number was 60. I also think that deactivated red handle revolvers were used for that purpose. By the time I came into the hiring process, the switch to semiauto duty handguns had been underway for seven or eight years and the trigger pull test was being done away with. I am trying to remember if I had to do that test. I think I did, but I just can't be certain. Of course that was a mere 24 years ago....

Bruce
    Bruce Cartwright

I’d respectfully submit that part of the experience with your Wheelgun Challenge is dealing with quaint revolver quirks like DA triggers, no WML and learning to once again love your hand held light. Remembering the low light sessions with rookie (and some senior) officers trying to point a pistol with one hand and aim a flashlight with the other. It frequently resembled primates molesting sports equipment.

I also find myself thinking more with a revolver due to the reduced capacity, it might actually lead one to seek cover faster realizing that we’re going to need to reload sooner than later.

FWIW, I’m still looking for the perfect carrier for a couple loaded moon clips. Nothing I’ve found has really worked out better than just dumping them in a pants or jacket pocket.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    I’d respectfully submit that part of the experience with your Wheelgun Challenge is dealing with quaint revolver quirks like DA triggers, no WML and learning to once again love your hand held light. Remembering the low light sessions with rookie (and some senior) officers trying to point a pistol with one hand and aim a flashlight with the other. It frequently resembled primates molesting sports equipment.

I also find myself thinking more with a revolver due to the reduced capacity, it might actually lead one to seek cover faster realizing that we’re going to need to reload sooner than later.

FWIW, I’m still looking for the perfect carrier for a couple loaded moon clips. Nothing I’ve found has really worked out better than just dumping them in a pants or jacket pocket.
    RickR:

Agreed to the quaint challenges. As to seeking cover, I agree. I also think that most folks who carried revolvers and fought with them tended to carry multiple guns. As I recall, Jim Cirillo of NYPD carried three guns (S&W Model 10, Colt Detective Special and a Walther PPK) as did Pat Rogers (S&W Model 10, Ruger Speed Six and an S&W Chief Special).

I am a big fan of moon clip revolvers but until I find a way to safely carry a reload (where the moon clip is protected from being bent) I would be reluctant to do so. I was kicking some ideas around with some of the folks from Milt Sparks Holsters and we may have stumbled upon a promising idea. I am trying to convince a friend in the kydex holster business to prototype it for me. We'll see.

"Primates molesting sports equipment" Consider that stolen.

Bruce
    Bruce Cartwright

Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    Some thoughts:

1. DA trigger is “quaint?” Well, OK, I, too, thought revolvers were quaint, once upon a time. “Quaint” is the exact word I used. I started hand-gunning with a 1911, but soon had to learn DA six-gunning, to work as an LEO, and learned to like it.

2. Plug “Fear not the DA shot” into a search engine. There is an article by some obscure person named Ernest Langdon. (Actually, he is a member of this forum, and not obscure.) This is actually about DA/SA auto-loaders, but the DA part applies to revolvers.

3. I never stopped loving hand-held lights. Slender lights, with bright beams, and momentary-on switches, such as the Surefire LX and Aviator series, are sized just right for the size of my hands, and the length of my fingers. The 6P and 6Z were nice enough; the LX, better. It is quite possible to manipulate them with dignity.

It is not that I am a die-hard revolver-only guy, I still love my first love, the 1911, though they are newer and better, not the cheap junk with which I started. and, I have about eight Glocks.

Respectfully submitted.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

User Tag List