Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wheelgun Challenge II

Wheelgun Challenge II

As I mentioned in the first installment of this series, I was challenged to carry a revolver as my primary defensive handgun for an extended period (My challenger and I, by mutual agreement, ended this experiment at the six month mark). As I wrote this installment of the Wheelgun Challenge, I had been carrying a Ruger Match Champion for two months.

Here are a few things I have observed.

First, the most significant deficiency I have found is the lack of a white light attachment. I carried Glocks at work, and after I retired from the FBI, I transitioned to the S&W M&P series autoloaders in 9mm. Both systems have integral frame rails that readily accept white lights; being older technology, most revolvers do not have this feature. While I don’t find this a big handicap when actually carrying the gun, it is a decided handicap when I take the gun off at night. My Glocks and M&Ps allow me to have a high intensity white light attached to my bedside handgun, which simplifies the identification of potential threats. With the GP100, I have to carry a Surefire 6P or Streamlight 1L 2AA Pro-Tac.

Second, my Glocks and M&Ps are equipped with night sights. Night sights have a fairly small window of usability, but it is a capability that I don’t have on my revolver. I became accustomed to being able to access a handgun which carried night sights and a white light not to mention 18 rounds of on board ammunition capacity.

Third, carrying reloads sucks. I use a combination of Bianchi Speed Strips (Whoever named them Speed Strips, like “Near Beer’ was a damn poor judge of speed and distance…) and Safariland Comp III speed loaders. The Safariland Comp IIIs are probably the fastest way to reload a revolver but they are bulky. I will qualify my comments by saying this covers conventional speed loaders. Revolvers using full moon clips easily beat conventional speed loaders in my hands. It is relatively easy to carry a spare Comp III during cooler months, but it will be an interesting task during warmer months. Packing my M&P autoloader and a spare magazine was easy and very concealable. That let me carry 35 rounds of ammo. Doing that with a revolver means I have to carry a combination of 5 speed loaders or strips. Good grief!

Fourth, revolvers are harder to shoot than autoloaders, but this is a two-edged sword. Revolvers, when properly run are shot in double action or trigger cocking mode. The pull weight in DA generally is between 9 and 12 pounds. That requires lots of concentration. My M&Ps are set up with 5 pounds triggers. This combined with a very short arc of trigger travel contributes to an easy to shoot gun. Shooting upper 90s on the “Test” drill is pretty easy with a gun set up like that. Doing that well with a revolver is doable but it takes time and practice. The other side of that two edged sword I mentioned is that knowing you have only 6 rounds before you need to reload reinforces the need to really focus on your trigger control. Double action shooting tends to instill good habits. Habits like smoothly pressing triggers and really watching the sights.

On the positive side of the ledger, training with a double action revolver has the benefit of making you a better shot with other types of weapons. My observations are that if a person can fire a double action revolver well, there is nothing, in terms of firearms, that cannot be mastered by that person. As an example, at one point, I set a goal for myself: I wanted to fire a passing score on the FBI Bullseye course with a 2.5 inch barreled S&W Model 19 shooting double action only. It took a bit of practice, but I achieved that goal. One lesson I learned from that experience was that shooting a short barreled revolver really well requires a laser like focus on fundamentals. The upside to my experiment was that I shot better across the board with other guns.

Part of the reasoning for me carrying a 4.2 inch barreled Ruger Match Champion was that the longer sight radius significantly improves my ability to hit. I figured anything that aided my ability to shoot very precisely would help me if I ever had to fire in defense of myself or others.

I have often recommended a double action revolver for shooters that are struggling with a semi-auto pistol. Initially these folks think you are asking them to take a step backward. What I find, is, even with a bit of double action dry fire, struggling shooters get an intuitive feel for proper trigger manipulation when they have to keep a revolver’s sights aligned during a long double action trigger pull. I routinely use a revolver in my own training program. If I find I am not happy with my level of precision fire, a bit of double action revolver work, sets me back onto the right path.

Carrying a magnum revolver filled with magnum ammunition, gives you magnum level power. Ballistics are the subject of another article, but if I can only have six rounds on tap before I have to reload, I want them to be as powerful as possible. I did a fair bit of shooting with magnum ammo. I had forgotten the amount of recoil and noise that magnum loads generate. I had become accustomed to full power 45 ACP and 9mm Parabellum loads. The reciprocating slide of the autos soaks up some of that recoil. Like any tool, you have to come to terms with the issues surrounding its use. I thought about carrying 38 Special loads, but never felt comfortable doing so. All of that said, because of a misspent youth reading Elmer Keith, Bill Jordan, Skeeter Skeleton and Col. Jeff Cooper, I had done a fair amount of shooting with magnum revolvers and quickly re-acclimated to the noise and recoil.

Revolvers are a hoot to shoot. There is something fun about them. Shooting them takes me back to a simpler time in my life. Americans were the good guys. Communists were the bad guys. It was okay to win. People weren’t all wrapped up in themselves and good guys carried magnum wheel guns. I find it a worthwhile endeavor to shoot the same courses with a revolver that I routinely easily shoot with an autoloader. Sort of nice being pushed out of my comfort zone.

More to follow.

Name:  Ruger Match Champion SAC Patch and loadout.jpg
Views: 638
Size:  99.9 KBName:  Ruger Match Champion and SCT IWB Holster.jpg
Views: 649
Size:  98.7 KB

Bruce
    Bruce Cartwright
    Owner & chief instructor-SAC Tactical
    E-mail: "info@saconsco.com"

Dont they make night sights for the MC?

My m66 has a meprolight front sight that quickly become my favorite front sight of all my guns.

Another great write-up. Any thoughts on or experience with JetLoaders for your carry setup? I have found them to be slightly lower profile on the belt, inside the waistband, or in a pocket than Comp-IIIs, but they don’t sacrifice reload speed. They are pricy, though.

As to the challenge of carrying a loader, they’re, size-size, not much harder to carry than a mag. The options are crap, though. A CD-2 IWB in the hip pocket is fine, as are the Jox loaders, but the aftermarket support is truly piss poor. I have resorted to custom leather out of necessity.
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post

My m66 has a meprolight front sight that quickly become my favorite front sight of all my guns.
    Yep. I have a Novak tritium front sight on my MC, huge improvement over the factory fiber-optic green blob.

Very honest review, Bruce, and well-written. I truly prefer shooting revolvers over semi-autos, but it makes no sense for me to ever carry a revolver for reasons you indicated. YMMV

Re: “Speed” Strips

So true about “Speed” Strips. They should have been called Slow Strips, perhaps?

Well, actually, for a two-round partial reload, a strip can be quite fast. Two rounds, from cartridge loops, can be reloaded together, quite fast, but a Speed Strip does enable keeping those cartridges together, as a handy unit, in a pocket, or such, without using a belt slide cartridge loop holder, or 2x2x2 holder.

A speed strip, holding five or six cartridges, can really cause a shirt pocket to droop excessively. A strip with two rounds causes less droop. For some time, I carried one speed strip in each uniform shirt pocket, each with two cartridges. These cartridges complemented the speed loaders, and cartridge slide or 2x2x2 carrier, on the duty belt.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Re: DA Revolver For Struggling Shooters.

Officer Debbie Lokie, who instructed at the Houston PD Academy, in the Eighties, had a tip that I found useful. Before I had ever heard of the term “visualization” in a training context, she recommended that the shooter imagIne that the trigger is connected to the front sight, so that the front sight is being pulled into to the rear notch, as the trigger moves rearward. She, of course, admonished us to keep the top of the front sight even with the top of the rear sight, by smoothly and steadily moving the trigger. (This is all paraphrased, as I remember it, from 1983 and 1984.)

Of course, this was a way of combining concentration upon the front sight, with pulling the trigger steadily and smoothly.

Officers Debbie Lokie and Phil Bankston were my main instructors, in DA revolver. Wonderful folks; I am forever in their debt. (I grew up in a household without guns, and though I remedied that upon becoming an adult, I learned DA revolver shooting during the academy, as that is not something so easily self-taught; one really needs personal coaching.)
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post

03RN:

Good point. I believe night sights are available for the Ruger Match Champion possibly from Novak's. I didn't avail myself of one because I think night sights have a fairly limited window of "usability" and because I was in the middle of moving and building a home. If I was going to seriously carry this gun all the time, I would grab a front night sight and drive on.

Bruce
    Bruce Cartwright

Quote Originally Posted by JRV View Post
    Another great write-up. Any thoughts on or experience with JetLoaders for your carry setup? I have found them to be slightly lower profile on the belt, inside the waistband, or in a pocket than Comp-IIIs, but they don’t sacrifice reload speed. They are pricy, though.

As to the challenge of carrying a loader, they’re, size-size, not much harder to carry than a mag. The options are crap, though. A CD-2 IWB in the hip pocket is fine, as are the Jox loaders, but the aftermarket support is truly piss poor. I have resorted to custom leather out of necessity.
    JRV:

I have never had access to the Jet Loaders. If I am not mistaken these are also called SL Variant loaders and are/were made in Germany. I tried to acquire a set but haven't been able to find any. The result was I decide to stick with what I could find/buy easily.

As to carry methods I whole heartedly agree. I am working on a possible solution. I have to see if my local saddle maker can whip me up a prototype. If it works out, I will share the details with everyone here.

Bruce
    Bruce Cartwright

Quote Originally Posted by sparkyv View Post
    Very honest review, Bruce, and well-written. I truly prefer shooting revolvers over semi-autos, but it makes no sense for me to ever carry a revolver for reasons you indicated. YMMV
    sparkyv:

Agreed.

Bruce
    Bruce Cartwright

User Tag List