Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Wheelgun Challenge II

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    I've owned more than half a dozen 45 ACP revolvers: 1950s Model of 1955; three M25-2s; three 325s; and a very tired 1937 Brazilian (and something tells me there's another one I've forgotten over the years.) I've shot them in competition, carried one as a truck gun for several years, and had one as a bedside gun for another few years. I practiced with them all and it was all with moon clipped ammo (always thought AR brass was a bigger pain than the moon clips). In the years of doing that the only moon clip I ever had bend was when an RO stepped on one of my ejected empties (gravel doesn't give much). I pounded it flat on the back of my bench vice and it still works.

These days I'm carrying a 386 NG that I had machined to take 7-shot Moonclips. Haven't bent one of them either.

Del Fatti Leather makes a little pocket holder for 45 ACP and 5-shot 38/357s for those who worry about bending.

http://www.delfatti.com/PMC-PO%20Page.html

Dave
    Yep, and nothing we haven't said in other threads :-)

It's common wisdom that is totally at odds with my experience. First Smith 1917 in the mid-90's. Since then another 1917, a 1937, a couple 25-2's, and a Colt 1917 Fitz clone. In past time I've gone years without shooting anything but .45 ACP revolvers. I have many thousands of rounds down range and have carried loaded moon clips various ways including loose in a pants pocket while hiking. I've seen more magazines fail than moon clips.

I've got to wonder if it's half moons that started the bad rep or if some of the moon clips in other calibers were really that flimsy. I'd hope there was something behind the rep but just haven't seen it with anything I've shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    It's common wisdom that is totally at odds with my experience.
    Well, you two have helped my confidence in moonclipped carry. The OEM Ruger moons are pretty flimsy and I could see rounds falling out of them if pocket carried. The Ranch Product and TK moons are quite stout, any force applied sufficient to bend one in my pocket would probably bend me too. If ya know what I mean...

In order to understand its reputation, I think we should consider where the moon clip came from. It was originally designed as a stop gap measure during WW1. As such, it saw far harsher treatment in that environment than it ever has in the pocket of Joe Public, or on the belt of Greg Gamer. When troops came home from the trenches with the opinion that moon clips were fragile, that experience was undoubtedly parroted throughout the years by those who heard it, but never lived it.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    In order to understand its reputation, I think we should consider where the moon clip came from. It was originally designed as a stop gap measure during WW1. As such, it saw far harsher treatment in that environment than it ever has in the pocket of Joe Public, or on the belt of Greg Gamer. When troops came home from the trenches with the opinion that moon clips were fragile, that experience was undoubtedly parroted throughout the years by those who heard it, but never lived it.
    That's part of what I wonder. WW1 issue would have been half moons which ARE fragile. To be fair at least part of that is reuse wearing the sheet metal plus half moons being unsupported at the crescent edges exposing then to greater leverage impacts. My understanding anyways is - the halfs as used in WW1 were intended as single use disposables with ammunition issued preloaded in the clips but still are a weaker design. Full moons didn't come till later. I want to say the '20's but wouldn't swear to it. They may have inherited the stigma though.

Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    That's part of what I wonder. WW1 issue would have been half moons which ARE fragile. To be fair at least part of that is reuse wearing the sheet metal plus half moons being unsupported at the crescent edges exposing then to greater leverage impacts. My understanding anyways is - the halfs as used in WW1 were intended as single use disposables with ammunition issued preloaded in the clips but still are a weaker design. Full moons didn't come till later. I want to say the '20's but wouldn't swear to it. They may have inherited the stigma though.
    All very true. There's also a chasm of difference between a doughboy jumping into a hun trench and falling onto, thereby bending, his moon clips carried on his belt in a soft pouch and Joe Blowjob dropping a moonclip in the pocket of his cargo shorts for a trip to the Piggly Wiggly. One's likely to stress any piece of equipment to its failure point, the other's only likely to stress his waistline. I know which category I'd fit into these days. C-O-N-T-E-X-T.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

User Tag List