Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Benjamin Crump: When will African Americans have the right to self defense?

Benjamin Crump: When will African Americans have the right to self defense?

Can black Americans exercise their Second Amendment right to bear arms? Can they stand their ground? Can they claim self-defense in shooting someone who threatens them with physical harm? Does the castle doctrine, which grants a person the right to use deadly force to protect their home from an intruder, apply to them?
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...se/5277733002/

If I’m not mistaken, as reported during the Zimmerman trial, a larger proportion of black citizens in Florida had successfully used Stand Your Ground to avoid prosecution (and/or conviction) than white citizens.

Good grief.

He brings up two cases which have absolutely no relevance to the issues he raised.

Pretty sure castle doctrine doesn't apply to when the police are serving a warrant.

Now if you want to discuss whether or not we have no knock entries, ok, fair game.

The Arbery case doesn't have anything to do with stand your ground, castle doctrine, or even, RKBA.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Good grief.

He brings up two cases which have absolutely no relevance to the issues he raised.

Pretty sure castle doctrine doesn't apply to when the police are serving a warrant.

Now if you want to discuss whether or not we have no knock entries, ok, fair game.
    The Castle Doctrine would be relevant if the police raided a home at oh dark thirty, if someone is awakened out of a deep sleep and thought they were being set upon by home invaders because the police either didn't announce loudly enough or didn't announce at all...then, it would be a justification for the use of force.

Errors can be made on both sides of that ledger.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    The Castle Doctrine would be relevant if the police raided a home at oh dark thirty, if someone is awakened out of a deep sleep and thought they were being set upon by home invaders because the police either didn't announce loudly enough or didn't announce at all...then, it would be a justification for the use of force.

Errors can be made on both sides of that ledger.
    Are there many cases where homeowners are able to successfully make that claim for castle doctrine? Seems like it's going to be the homeowners word against the police's word as to the announcement being made or not.

Not saying there aren't, but they don't seem to get a lot of press

Are there many cases where homeowners are able to successfully make that claim for castle doctrine? Seems like it's going to be the homeowners word against the police's word as to the announcement being made or not.

Don't really know, personally. I would imagine someone like Andrew Branca or similar websites on self-defense matters might have some stats.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

I'd guess it would depend on the state. If it's a no-knock being served at the wrong address that would pretty much be a slam-dunk for the defense in GA.. that is... assuming the resident survived the encounter after opening fire. I doubt it would make it to trial.

If I had done or had been involved with something which warranted a warrant being served, ehhhhhh, that would be a hard sell regardless. I think the perception would be 'armed criminal' from the get-go and the trial would be the typical crap-shoot.

Also, if someone kicked my door in the alarm would be blaring inside and out likely making shouts of "Police" unintelligible at best.
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

John McNeil, an upper class black homeowner, shot an aggressive armed white trespasser in stand-your-ground Georgia and was convicted of murder & sentenced to life (the DA pressed charges despite police detectives ruling it self defense). It took 8 years before he won his release via appeal - just days after his wife died.

Don't even engage that race-baiter. He's trying to profit by literally sowing dissent in civil society.

Quote Originally Posted by critter View Post
    I'd guess it would depend on the state. If it's a no-knock being served at the wrong address that would pretty much be a slam-dunk for the defense in GA.. that is... assuming the resident survived the encounter after opening fire. I doubt it would make it to trial.

If I had done or had been involved with something which warranted a warrant being served, ehhhhhh, that would be a hard sell regardless. I think the perception would be 'armed criminal' from the get-go and the trial would be the typical crap-shoot.

Also, if someone kicked my door in the alarm would be blaring inside and out likely making shouts of "Police" unintelligible at best.
    No knock raid resulted in an innocent unarmed woman being killed here. I think that one cost the county several million about 20 years ago.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List