Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Grammar. Punctuation or at least a space or 2 FFS

I've read the trilogy twice. I guess I'd need to read it again to make it a true trilogy.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by P30 View Post
    Wow, this section from chapter 2 of "All the pretty horses" is great (a little abbreviated by me):

I think, I get what you've written about the punctuation (some commas missing at least in the PDF that I've found via Google?). But listening to the audiobook, I don't notice it.
    Yeah, it's easy to get lost in any given sentence of that excerpt without a little bit of punctuation to break it up and indicate how the sentence is supposed to flow. My guess (I haven't read the book, so I'm basing this purely on the section you posted) is that it's an intentional, stylistic choice, but it seems to me that reading a whole book written that way might feel like a bit of a chore.

I don't remember it being a challenge.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

For me it is a bit challenging to understand everything from the audiobook. But because it is read pretty fast and I'm not a native English speaker. But that's part of what I was looking for (improving my English).

What I really like very much about the book so far is its atmosphere. Listening to it in my living room in Germany, I felt like I'm in Texas a hundred years or so ago: The connection with its nature and also a bit of the hardships the early settlers had to endure.

This better re-integrated me into the universe, especially because I did some yoga-like exercises when I listened (not gay yoga but healthy gymnastic exercises, some of them from martial arts that I've practiced). I needed this improvement of integration into the universe (maybe because in my job in the last months, I felt a bit out of place sometimes, no big deal).

The part, which I've quoted above about the boy's relationship to horses, reminded me of my relationship to motorbikes. It's very important to have some things, persons or animals in your life that make you a whole, that integrate you into the universe. Like pistols.

PS:
    I've just read in wikipedia that the title "All the pretty horses" is probably derived from a lullaby. Just like the refrain of "Der Kommissar" is derived from a children's song. I like such circles or symmetries in life. The small in the big or the big in the small.
    Last edited by P30; 05-31-2020 at 03:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Deer Kommissar was quite popular in the US in the 80s. You have ear-wormed me, in fact, dear sir. LOL!
    At one of my first bartending jobs back in the university years, the English version was on a jukebox that blasted throughout the bar. Covered by a group called After the Fire. That along Duran Duran's "Reflex" were played so many times that I still want to seek and destroy a jukebox anytime I hear 'em.
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

Quote Originally Posted by critter View Post
    At one of my first bartending jobs back in the university years, the English version was on a jukebox that blasted throughout the bar. Covered by a group called After the Fire. That along Duran Duran's "Reflex" were played so many times that I still want to seek and destroy a jukebox anytime I hear 'em.
    When I was in HS and my first year of college, I was a dishwasher in a restaurant-bar. After food service ended around 9pm, I would be there until 11pm or midnight washing leftover dishes and the cooks' pots and pans. We had a nice little bar area, and often there would be a guy playing a guitar and singing to entertain the patrons. It was nice background music, but I swear-to-God if I hear G-L-O-R-I-A again I'll go Bluto Blutarski on the guy's guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by trailrunner View Post
    When I was in HS and my first year of college, I was a dishwasher in a restaurant-bar. After food service ended around 9pm, I would be there until 11pm or midnight washing leftover dishes and the cooks' pots and pans. We had a nice little bar area, and often there would be a guy playing a guitar and singing to entertain the patrons. It was nice background music, but I swear-to-God if I hear G-L-O-R-I-A again I'll go Bluto Blutarski on the guy's guitar.
    HAH! I'll be sure to request "Mickey" for you instead...
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by critter View Post

pat

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    They are a truly excellent live show, and so is KMFDM. Germany has definitely gifted the industrial/metal end of the music spectrum with some good stuff.
    If you're serious about Industrial Musik you must include the fathers... Einsturzende Neubauten.
    https://youtu.be/arf1pF9PzLI

User Tag List