Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Grammar. Punctuation or at least a space or 2 FFS

a way a lone a last a loved a long the

Wait, @Duke, I thought you were the guy that was all verklempt over people "analyzing fail" and being negative and stuff?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I don't know, if you all know it: The song is about a criminal investigator (plainclothes detective, in German "Kommissar") from the view of a youth clique or gang. Perhaps some drugs are involved, it does not get totally clear from the lyrics even for me as a native German speaker. The refrain means: "Don't turn around, the detective is going around." I would say, it's 100% nazi-free. It was an extreme hit here in Germany in the early 80s. My mother liked it very much and still likes it.

The singer, Falco, was an Austrian. The song is derived from a children song and catchgame. Another big hit by Falco was "Rock me, Amadeus" (original version, US version), which is a song about Mozart.
    Last edited by P30; 05-30-2020 at 03:50 AM.

Extended US version, it rocks:

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by P30 View Post
    I don't know, if you all know it: The song is about a criminal investigator (plainclothes detective, in German "Kommissar") from the view of a youth clique or gang. Perhaps some drugs are involved, it does not get totally clear from the lyrics even for me as a native German speaker. The refrain means: "Don't turn around, the detective is going around." I would say, it's 100% nazi-free. It was an extreme hit here in Germany in the early 80s. My mother liked it very much and still likes it.

The singer, Falco, was an Austrian. The song is derived from a children song and catchgame. Another big hit by Falco was "Rock me, Amadeus" (original version, US version), which is a song about Mozart.
    Deer Kommissar was quite popular in the US in the 80s. You have ear-wormed me, in fact, dear sir. LOL!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by EricP View Post
    My father is a chemical engineer and a pretty smart guy. When he retired, he gave up on punctuation with the exception of randomly placed strings of hyphens and the occasional ellipsis.

He is quite capable of writing a structured sentence or paragraph with the correct punctuation. He just chooses not to.

It drives me nuts.
    Is he a Cormac McCarthy fan?

Site Supporter
    Another big hit by Falco was "Rock me, Amadeus" (original version, US version), which is a song about Mozart.
    I was stationed in (then West) Germany from '83-'86 when this came out. I bought a cassette of this album at the PX only to find that the US version of Amadeus was in English, and poorly done.

Quote Originally Posted by scjbash View Post
    Is he a Cormac McCarthy fan?
    @scjbash

I am. Big time.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

The singer, Falco, was an Austrian. Another big hit by Falco was "Rock me, Amadeus" which is a song about Mozart.
    I was aware, but thank you for posting the info.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    @scjbash

I am. Big time.
    There are more periods in those two sentences than in The Road.

User Tag List