Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Grammar. Punctuation or at least a space or 2 FFS

Quote Originally Posted by scjbash View Post
    There are more periods in those two sentences than in The Road.
    Oddly enough, it's not what I remember about the book. But I read it right after it came out. I love his writing. From Suttree, Blood Meridian and the Border Trilogy to The Road and No Country For Old Men. I've read most all of 'em.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

There are more periods in those two sentences than in The Road.
    And probably a tie for capital letters,.as I recall [emoji23]
    I read that damn thing right after my daughter was born. Huge mistake.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Oddly enough, it's not what I remember about the book. But I read it right after it came out. I love his writing. From Suttree, Blood Meridian and the Border Trilogy to The Road and No Country For Old Men. I've read most all of 'em.
    I finished The Road and started Blood Meridian. It always takes me a few pages to get into the rhythm of his writing but what he writes his excellent.

I thought The Road wasn't anything special. Blood Meridian was odd. I tried to describe it to someone and just couldn't get my arms around it.

I finished The Road and started Blood Meridian. It always takes me a few pages to get into the rhythm of his writing but what he writes his excellent.
    If you haven't read the Border Trilogy, I really feel you must find the time. It's beautiful, lyrical, fantastical, and full of pathos. Plus, it's a great story.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    If you haven't read the Border Trilogy, I really feel you must find the time. It's beautiful, lyrical, fantastical, and full of pathos. Plus, it's a great story.
    Of his books, I enjoyed the Border Trilogy the best.

Blood Meridian and The Road, are arguably the most "significant" in the way lit majors find book significant.

I have referred to Blood Meridian as the best book I never want to read again.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by P30 View Post
    The song is about a criminal investigator (plainclothes detective, in German "Kommissar")
    I thought that, for the PPK, the K stood for "Kriminal"... ie, plainclothes cops, AKA Kripos; the Kommissar was the one who used a PPK to shoot dissidents.

Maybe it's because of the times that I grew up in, or my own ethnic background, but to me, singing in German sounds as though somebody put the orders to a Panzer division to music.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I thought that, for the PPK, the K stood for "Kriminal"... ie, plainclothes cops, AKA Kripos; the Kommissar was the one who used a PPK to shoot dissidents.
    Yes, the PPK was the service pistol of the "Kriminalkommissar" after world war 2. Then dissidents were not shot anymore (in West Germany). I've only known good police, here. I don't know so much about Nazi germany, it was long before my time.

Maybe it's because of the times that I grew up in, or my own ethnic background, but to me, singing in German sounds as though somebody put the orders to a Panzer division to music.
    That hurts my German soul. May I prove the opposite? I think, I can:

Nena - Irgendwie, irgendwo, irgendwann
    Last edited by P30; 05-30-2020 at 01:33 PM.

Musik discussions can go no further without talks of Rammstein.....

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Musik discussions can go no further without talks of Rammstein.....
    They are a truly excellent live show, and so is KMFDM. Germany has definitely gifted the industrial/metal end of the music spectrum with some good stuff.

User Tag List