Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Grammar. Punctuation or at least a space or 2 FFS

Grammar. Punctuation or at least a space or 2 FFS

Cheebus folks.

I’m no grammar nazi. In truth I’m not even a native engrish speaker.

The your/you’re to/too thing is simple enough to ignore. We’re all on tiny screen devices. I get it.

But for the sake of sanity - if you’re going to trouble yourself to post some long tangent at least put a space or 2 in the damn shit.

No one’s got time the time to translate 17 sentences all strung together like a teenage girl all caps angry text.

Thanks.

From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

^^^.

I have a 1941 München printed Deutsch language Original of that book.

The editing is what you’d call interesting.
    Last edited by Duke; 05-29-2020 at 03:40 PM.

Oh. My. God.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Speaking of language...

How did words like "thug" and "gangster" become culturally appropriated by blacks. I grew up around thugs and gangsters and most all of them were white.

When did it become no longer appropriate to use the term?

Of course I'm referring to the anger at the president, (who I make no excuses for and am not a big fan of), but really, where does this end?

Was there a saxophone before John Coltrane? A trumpet before Miles? Who gets to decide what words are appropriate for me to use?

I just don't think folks get to bend the language in a way that results in only certain groups being able to use certain words or terms.

This is a problem which is self-created, imho.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I just don't think folks get to bend the language in a way that results in only certain groups being able to use certain words or terms.
    I don't think "thug" and "gangster" are appropriated such that it is only acceptable for them to be used by black Americans. It seems to me somewhat the opposite; because of the history of racism towards black Americans in the US, using these terms to describe black Americans is much more racially charged than if you were to use the same terms to describe a white, asian or latino American.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I don't think "thug" and "gangster" are appropriated such that it is only acceptable for them to be used by black Americans. It seems to me somewhat the opposite; because of the history of racism towards black Americans in the US, using these terms to describe black Americans is much more racially charged than if you were to use the same terms to describe a white, asian or latino American.
    It shouldn't be. The standard for being a thug or gangster is not race or skin color. Words have meanings. As in thuggish behavior.

My people have been discriminated against in America and Europe, I don't have an issue with Jewish or Sicilian thugs or gangsters being referred to as such when they fit the bill. Have Jews not been discriminated against widely? Italians have had their share, much like the Irish.

If one wants to be offended, one can find any number of ways to satisfy the goal. But it doesn't make them legitimate.

Some things are real. Some things are b.s.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    It shouldn't be. The standard for being a thug or gangster is not race or skin color. Words have meanings. As in thuggish behavior.

My people have been discriminated against in America and Europe, I don't have an issue with Jewish or Sicilian thugs or gangsters being referred to as such when they fit the bill. Have Jews not been discriminated against widely? Italians have had their share, much like the Irish.

If one wants to be offended, one can find any number of ways to satisfy the goal. But it doesn't make them legitimate.

Some things are real. Some things are b.s.
    I don't really have any opinions on the matter to be honest - just my interpretation of that position.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I don't really have any opinions on the matter to be honest - just my interpretation of that position.
    Not picking on you, Neph. I'm a fan of what you bring to the forum. Keep up the good fight.

Quote Originally Posted by duke View Post
    cheebus folks.

I’m no grammar nazi. In truth i’m not even a native engrish speaker.

The your/you’re to/too thing is simple enough to ignore. We’re all on tiny screen devices. I get it.

But for the sake of sanity - if you’re going to trouble yourself to post some long tangent at least put a space or 2 in the damn shit.

No one’s got time the time to translate 17 sentences all strung together like a teenage girl all caps angry text.

Thanks.
    how dair u come two are country and criticalize are lazy grammer and righting!!!

If you not liking it hear, try germany where this entire post would be won single word.

User Tag List