Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which CZ to test the waters?

Which CZ to test the waters?

I know I should focus on my 9mm glocks.

I shot a p06 years ago and I remember how soft recoiling it was for a .40.im hoping for something that can speed up my time between shots VS glock.

If I wanted to try a cz should I get a P01 or p07? I'm leaning towards an omega trigger so I can have the option to carry cocked and locked.
    I sold some guns and now I'd like to toy around with something new. Thoughts? No cz rentals near me that I know of.

Site Supporter
    I use the P-07 as a duty weapon. It’s boring but it works.

There are a few changes I would make to it, but not changes most would be interested in.

If I had to carry a current production gun, in its stock form, I’m not sure anything else would meet my needs the way the P-07 does.

@Clusterfrack is the guy to ask about CZs.

Neither is going to be a bad choice. If carry is in consideration, the P01 is a little “slicker” As far as contours, but the P07 is a little lighter. I don’t know that either will improve your split times on follow up shots, unless recoil recovery is your issue. The trigger reset is longer than most Glocks and may not be as tactile. Some custom parts can improve this, though.

That being said, the P07 is one that I carry and I get good follow-up times (split times) with it in practical drills. It does shoot flat, and just seems to come back on target almost automatically. I don’t have a P01 to compare shot times with, and have only shot one belonging to a friend. I do have an SP01 and a 75B but the comparison may not be fair there. I do shoot my P07 more than the metal frame CZs, but that is because it is a carry gun so I prioritize my ammo use there.

No experience, but the P-10S Optic Ready jobber interests me as CCW gun.

I have a very strong preference for the P-07 over the earlier CZ compacts. The ergos are better for me, and the design has some significant advantages for a high round count carry or duty gun. The action is very simple and easy to detail strip--significantly more so than a CZ-75 decocker gun. I like the replaceable steel rail inserts of the P-07 better than an aluminum frame. It just has a more 'modern' feel to me than the P-01, probably because it is.

I've never used thumb safeties on my P-07s. I think I threw them away.

There are a few aftermarket parts that are worth putting in a new P-07, and the list can be found in the P-07 thread. As well, some lubrication and break-in smooths the action, especially in DA. If needed, I can dig all that info out of my notes and re-post.

FYI, I don't own any CZs other than P-07s and Shadow2s. I don't think either is at all boring.

About split times: They aren't very important, and I wouldn't buy a gun based on faster splits. On the other hand, fast splits can be an indication of a gun that returns naturally to the same point of aim, and that's what I find the P-07 does for me. It's not hard for me to rip 0.15-17s splits with it, and I don't find it easy to do that with a Glock 19.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 05-29-2020 at 01:42 PM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

I like the traditional decocking CZs, so I like the P01. The safety models and the Omega switchable levers are just out of reach for my thumb so cocked and locked doesn't work for me (my hands are a bit small.) If you can't find one to live-fire, I would definitely check to see if you can manipulate the safety before buying the Omega model. Then be prepared to buy another, and so on!

Site Supporter
    If you use the gun as a DA/SA vs a DAO, I think you’ll find the P-07 decocker lever easier to use.

My personal preference is the P-01 platform. I shoot them far better. The aluminum frame models are acceptable for EDC weight.

Might consider posting what area you're in, might be a forum member nearby that is also a CZ owner/shooter. Might also do the same over on the CZ forum, most of us are always on the lookout for a new shooting buddy, and a chance to play enabler . I currently own a PCR, owned a P0-7 for awhile, but I just like the feel of the PCR better. That said, it's getting ignored due to my love affair with my Sig P220, I shoot it better, and just prefer .45 ACP to 9mm. Later.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by daved20319 View Post
    Might consider posting what area you're in, might be a forum member nearby that is also a CZ owner/shooter. Might also do the same over on the CZ forum, most of us are always on the lookout for a new shooting buddy, and a chance to play enabler . I currently own a PCR, owned a P0-7 for awhile, but I just like the feel of the PCR better. That said, it's getting ignored due to my love affair with my Sig P220, I shoot it better, and just prefer .45 ACP to 9mm. Later.

Dave
    I second this advice, def worth it to try before you buy if possible.

If you found the P06 to be soft recoiling then that frame shape must work well with your hands, and I bet you would love a P01.

Whichever CZ you get, so yourself a favor and buy the improved firing pin retaining pin (FPRP) from Cajun Gun Works or CZ Custom. This simple mod is necessary to do large amounts of dry fire without parts breakage. Personally I put the Cajun short reset kit in all my CZs. It includes the FPRP and enables you to use a lower powered hammer spring and still get reliable ignition on hard primers.
    Last edited by TicTacticalTimmy; 05-29-2020 at 02:48 PM.

User Tag List