Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W 340

S&W 340

I bought a 340 about a month ago. Immediately I noticed the trigger wouldn't reset all the time so I sent it off to S&W. 3 weeks later it came back with a note saying they replaced the extractor. Since then I have dry fired it a few thousand times with no issues what so ever. This morning I go shooting (first time for this gun) and after the first shot the trigger is stuck. This time is wasn't that it didn't reset is was like it got stuck on the way back to the forward position. The cylinder was locked in place and I could not pull the trigger back so I opened the cylinder and the trigger reset. Shot it again and the same thing. Opened the cylinder again the trigger reset and then I proceeded to fire 50 rounds or Precision Delta wadcutters and 20 rounds of Critical duty +P with no issues at all. When I got home I cleaned the gun and dry fired it a few hundred times more with no issues either.

What could of caused that? Could there have been something under the extractor or a burr somewhere that came loose after the first few shots?

After it got back from S&W I did open it up and cleaned and lubed the internals as well as installed the Apex spring kit.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hammertime
    It could be your ammo. Something is sticking up after your shoot and lodging between the cylinder and the frame. The lack of the ability for the cylinder to freely turn is causing the lack of reset.

I don't think I'd want to carry that gun until it's proven itself over many, many rounds of your chosen carry ammo. I wish I could help you diagnose it, but I simply lack the expertise.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

The Apex spring kit is just too light for a carry gun, in my opinion. The trigger return spring does not give a brisk return, and if there is a burr the rebound slide might be hanging up on it. The Apex mainspring gave me about a 2% failure to ignite Gold Dot. Just a big Nope all around...

In 20 years of devoted J-frame use I arrived at the following formula: Wolff 14# trigger return spring (leave the other springs alone) and thousands of dry fire reps to slick things up.

I can't find the thread right now, but I had the same problem with an APEX kit in my 638.

Did you follow the APEX instruction video on the install, which directs you to use grease on the rebound slide?

If so, take the grease out. That's bad advice.

If I were in your shoes, I'd put the stock parts in and see what happens.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Could there be enough roughness or a big enough burr on the ratchet for the hand to hang up on it?
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Link doesn’t work.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I can't find the thread right now, but I had the same problem with an APEX kit in my 638.

Did you follow the APEX instruction video on the install, which directs you to use grease on the rebound slide?

If so, take the grease out. That's bad advice.

If I were in your shoes, I'd put the stock parts in and see what happens.
    I did not use grease. I’ve had the Apex spring kit in a couple j-frames and have never had an issue. I just ordered another 250 wadcutters. I’m going to run through those and see what happens before I change anything.

does this work:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....en-gun-is-cold

Kind of a moot point since you didn't use the grease..

User Tag List