Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: CT State Police No longer uses 1911

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    This thread illustrates why I lost interest in 1911s. I had some expensive guns, and they all had problems that needed solving by expert gunsmiths. But who to choose? Each claimed to be the one who had the secret sauce to make 1911s reliable. But none of it brought the magic.

Maybe I missed out on the one single 1911 design that actually works like a modern combat firearm? Honestly I don’t care at this point because I have 100’s of thousands of trouble free rounds through Glocks, Sigs, and CZs (steel and polymer).

If I want to pass on a polymer gun to my grandkids, and the nylon has decayed for some weird reason, I’m sure I’ll be able to 3D print a new frame.

If I were going to buy an expensive all-steel CNCed hipster gun, it would be a CZ Custom A-01 or an Alien.
    In my experience, a 1911 is just a little more likely to need attention/adjustment to make it run 100% than say a Glock. And that assumes one made by a good manufacturer, chambered for 45 ACP. They need lube. Other than that it's pretty easy. It's like my 45s don't know they're supposed to malfunction so they just keep shooting.

Now everyone, I am not the shooter CF is and I don't approach his round count. So don't take this as a dispute of what he posted. I respect your viewpoint CF.

Im just surprised that a police special tactics unit would be using anything in this 21st Century day and age that required proprietary hand fitted parts by master gunsmiths. I love my 1911's but jeez it's an antique. Even MARSOC had the good sense to dump the 1911 in favor of Glock 19's. Sounds like they had good sense and followed suit.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightvisionary View Post
    Im just surprised that a police special tactics unit would be using anything in this 21st Century day and age that required proprietary hand fitted parts by master gunsmiths. I love my 1911's but jeez it's an antique. Even MARSOC had the good sense to dump the 1911 in favor of Glock 19's. Sounds like they had good sense and followed suit.
    They bought them in 2008. Post 9/11, 1911s had a resurgence in popularity. Some guys in my department managed to get .45 1911s on our approved list for the first time in department history.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    I'm pretty ghey for 1911s but I see no logical reason to issue them en masse when there are FAR better options for a duty weapon. As for the Cer-tac guns/mags I've never heard of them, so l will just stick with the guns/mags I know.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Nightvisionary View Post
    Custom 1911s were all the rage among tactical units in the mid-2000s.

Also, MARSOC was using 1911s at the same time this purchase/usage by CSP occurred.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    I hope I'm not violating forum rules, but this link to a two page thread on another site is kind of informative. Started out pretty rough, them calmed at the end:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Handguns...-64680/?page=1
    It would appear that clear communication and interpersonal skills were lacking, even in 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    If I were going to buy an expensive all-steel CNCed hipster gun, it would be a CZ Custom A-01 or an Alien.
    don't forget the Phoenix Redback

Quote Originally Posted by Zirk208 View Post
    It would appear that clear communication and interpersonal skills were lacking, even in 2008.
    Not to mention flat out lying, such as "we make our own xxx" and then clarifying when pressed that the parts aren't actually made by them (and getting defensive over it).
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

The OP seems to have left the building.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Threads like this are why I like 1911s. Magic swords forged by secretive artisans with arcane rituals are just way cooler than boxes of plastic.

User Tag List