Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: selling guns... a lot of guns

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Secure transaction and safe, professional management will be found in larger and older firms with an honorable track record. One of the nicest and up front guys in the business is the gentleman at Summit Gun Broker. He answers his phone. J&G Sales might be another to consult. You very likely may have to look in a state different than your own.
    Hmmm... you gave me an idea and reminded me that there's a big online retailer of new and used firearms and accessories fairly close. I may just give them a call.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Site Supporter
    I buy and sell off the "Outdoors Trader" in Georgia. They have a scoring system that clearly shows positive and negative feedback. I only deal with those with lots of positive feedback and no negative feedback. I do not deal with those with no feedback. I meet in locations that are convenient to both parties, in daylight, far enough from prying eyes not to alarm "Karens" but open enough to be "safe".

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    It depends on what you value more. Convenience or top dollar.

Paying a commission at a local gun shop gets a lot of eyes on the guns and somebody else takes care of all the bother. Like using a property manager for rental properties, the percentage you lose may be well worth the bother you save.

Maybe cull out the "special" ones to sell here or gunbroker, etc. and consign the commodity ones to an LGS?
    I put two excess handguns on consignment at a LGS which specializes in EBRs and accessories. One sold Tuesday and his percentage was 20%. That was worth it to me to save the hassle.

I always plan to offload and never do, so there might be some ignorance in this question, but -- if selling that large a number of firearms in a short time, is there any concern of crossing the legal threshold from "private seller" to "dealer" and the attendant issues?
    Hain’t we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain’t that a big enough majority in any town?

Quote Originally Posted by Wingate's Hairbrush View Post
    I always plan to offload and never do, so there might be some ignorance in this question, but -- if selling that large a number of firearms in a short time, is there any concern of crossing the legal threshold from "private seller" to "dealer" and the attendant issues?
    Personal collection disposal is an exemption.
    All the guns I am selling have been in my possession for an extended amount time so it'd be easy to demonstrate that they were not purchased with the intent to resell for a profit.
    Also, I'm guessing that even in a panic buying pre/post-election market I could demonstrate that I'm not making a profit (unless things really go crazy, then I might end up very slightly ahead).
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

No matter where you decide to sell them, I would love to see a list of what you have, condition, what it comes with and price.

Bob

rkittine@aol.com

Have you tried Mexico? The fed has had some luck moving guns down there. That's a joke.

Do they still do gun shows in NM? If you can sell to a private party without a BC that might be worth your time. My FFL used to load up a car full of guns and do the two day gun shows here until the state made that next to impossible. He said back in the day it was lucrative. Short of that I would just do a consignment with a dealer I trusted.

I wouldn't want to move all those guns either. Good luck.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    If I sell the Coonan, RevolverRob has first dibs... LOL.
    Unfortunately for you, I recently had it at the range and remembered how much fun that flame throwing beast is and it's currently on my probably keep list.
    I understand that man. Which is why I want it.

I'm thinking that instead of timing general public panic buyers I'd probably have better luck timing the P-F.com "gun of the month" club and riding that wave.
    Maybe I just need to sponsor a P-F.com "influencer" here on the forum to get everyone interested in what I'm trying to move at the time.
    Not a bad idea...I nominate...me.

So what do you want to start with Glocks, Berettas, or HKs?

I work at an LGS and have sold a fair number of guns in private transactions. If you choose to use Armslist or similar, be prepared for some serious clownery. One thing that helped was that I just deleted responses from people who could not put a sentence together (I'm sure now that I've said that, I'll miss some egregious syntax error in this post). If you can't match your subjects and verbs, I'm pretty sure the world would not be made better by me selling you a gun. So just deleting the "what U bottom dollar" e-mails saves a ton of heartache. Second, consider putting in your ad (if you venture that route) that you will meet at your LGS of choice where buyer will complete a 4473 and you will pay that fee. We do this at my shop for $35, but I imagine some places might do it for $15-25, and might just do one fee per buyer instead of per gun. But also just having that in the ad will cause a lot of people to self-select away from your guns, exactly the kind of people with which you don't want to deal.

At my shop, we've been paying a smidgen more for Glock 19ish guns lately. The supply chain is all wonky now, so you may be able to work a 10-15% commission on a good supply of solid guns. Accessories are best sold by themselves, almost always.

Have fun. You'll meet some nice folks along the way. And if you meet someone in a parking lot, be prepared: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdDl6mbcGtc.

Jon

My experience.

If it is a "commodity" gun like a G19, I usually sell it local to friends/family/co workers.

If it is a "enthusiast" gun like a Beretta PX4, I usually sell it on an enthusiast forum.

If it is something that is "collectable" in demand due to being out of production like a Marling 39a, I usually sell on Gunbroker.

I have personally done all of those listed above with those specific firearms.

What I have found is that used "commodity" guns won't sell for crap on Gunbroker and no one on a forum will do anything but lowball you for them so I do better selling local.

If it is an "enthusiast" gun that only certain groups use/like that doesn't have the name recognition of "commodity" guns but doesn't really qualify as "collectable", I will usually get no hits local and some interest on views on Gunbroker but significantly more on an enthusiast centered forum.

Things that are "collectable" always do better on Gunbroker. For instance the Marlin 39a that I listed on a local forum and put up for sale to friends/family/coworkers asking $600 with only a few lowball $350 offers sold for over $800 on Gunbroker.

Like others said, I would section it out and list them in various places based on what they are.

Unless you wait for a panic. Then all bets are off.

User Tag List