Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: selling guns... a lot of guns

Site Supporter
    I have been slowly over the last 5 years getting rid of 1500 things. I am just shy of 1400 right now.

It has been a pain in the ass, figuring out online selling and shipping and packing and buying my 80th roll of packing tape.

PF has been a solid and easy venue for gun related items.

I would pick a bunch of the good stuff and post it on PF - 10 to 20 items. Stock up on boxes and tape.

The rest go to a gun store for someone else to sell.

Use the funds for ammo and a good training class.

I’ve had good luck renting a table at a couple of local gun shows. I’ve split a table with my buddy and sold most everything I brought. I had fun hanging out at the show and talking to fellow enthusiasts. I wasn’t trying to get top dollar for what I sold and I think that helped a lot. Good luck with your sale, whatever route you take.

Hammertime
    I good friend moved a ton of guns. A hundred and I would estimate in the $200,000 range as a lot were very collectible and some were transferable machine guns etc.

He used one of the big auction houses like Rock River and was really happy with it. They actually came with a truck and grabbed everything. Sold it and that was that. No idea on commissions.

You have to consider the size and make up of your market. If you lived here in Phoenix, you can probably unload all of them via gun shops. I don't know if you will have that opportunity in New Mexico which has a population half the size of Maricopa County AZ. The internet market is probably the best best. You can probably sell them as lots. You can sell the more pedestrian guns on Gunbroker and offer the more interesting stuff on forums and auctions houses where more appreciative eyes are available. Of course it is always a better cost savings to order boxes from Uline and get a rental truck when you move.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    I have been slowly over the last 5 years getting rid of 1500 things. I am just shy of 1400 right now.

It has been a pain in the ass, figuring out online selling and shipping and packing and buying my 80th roll of packing tape.

PF has been a solid and easy venue for gun related items.

I would pick a bunch of the good stuff and post it on PF - 10 to 20 items. Stock up on boxes and tape.

The rest go to a gun store for someone else to sell.

Use the funds for ammo and a good training class.

That is an amazing number.

I have an internet dealer who sells exclusively on gunbroker who operates on a 10% consignment cut. She has a huge following (12,000+ feedback) and I learned that she can attract thousands more eyeballs with her auctions on GB than I ever will. Tens of thousands of people tune in every Thursday evening to see her new listings and have her on their saved search. My observation is she gets me at least that 10% more in terms of price than I would on my own, plus I don't have to deal with FFL's, shipping, packing, etc. She handles it all.

I get more on the national market for anything I sell than I would in the local market here in Central AL which is always awash in used guns compared to the number of buyers.

For large collections, she or her husband take a truck to come pick them up.

For a certain class of collectables there are internet dealers who specalize and sell on consignment too. E.g. Woodlawn Boys for S&W and Colt revovlers, Collectors Firearms (both the Houston group and Simpson Ltd. up in IL) for C&R type stuff, etc. The things that are just below the threshold of the Auction groups. Those groups get the expected prices for the guns because they have such a huge following.
    Last edited by fatdog; 05-29-2020 at 06:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I want the Coonan.

Otherwise, I’d say - local gunshop that does consignments. You might throw the LEMs and things here on P-F where you know people might buy them faster than the LGS.
    If I sell the Coonan, RevolverRob has first dibs... LOL.
    Unfortunately for you, I recently had it at the range and remembered how much fun that flame throwing beast is and it's currently on my probably keep list.

I'm thinking that instead of timing general public panic buyers I'd probably have better luck timing the P-F.com "gun of the month" club and riding that wave.
    Maybe I just need to sponsor a P-F.com "influencer" here on the forum to get everyone interested in what I'm trying to move at the time.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Site Supporter
    If several guns are left with a dealer, ask how you would be compensated if loss to fire or theft. Consider that insurance settlements involve deductions which would reduce coverage. Businesses close for many reasons. Mismanagement, divorce, and recession are three. Bondage storage is one option if a move is imminent. I used to keep some handguns in safe deposit boxes. If Glock slides with barrels could be sold separately and profitably, these transactions are easily handled. Frames can be sold later and take up little space. Secure transaction and safe, professional management will be found in larger and older firms with an honorable track record. One of the nicest and up front guys in the business is the gentleman at Summit Gun Broker. He answers his phone. J&G Sales might be another to consult. You very likely may have to look in a state different than your own.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Maybe I just need to sponsor a P-F.com "influencer" here on the forum to get everyone interested in what I'm trying to move at the time.
    Uh, dude, you one of the influencers.....

And I am in the market for a G19...

pat

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    If several guns are left with a dealer, ask how you would be compensated if loss to fire or theft.
    I have a full coverage, no deductible, pretty much all inclusive policy for all my firearms (and watches).
    The easiest "sell" of all would be for the gun shop that had them on consignment to get sideways with some mobsters.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

User Tag List