Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RFI: Engagement rings

RFI: Engagement rings

Alright...I’m finding myself in a situation I didn’t expect, exactly, but here goes.

It seems that I’m looking to purchase ring, and know pretty much...well, nothing about them, their purchase, or...anything else.

Realizing I’m looking at 5-10k most likely, I want to spend as wisely as possible, and get something that’s truly worth the asking price, and not paying just for a ‘name’. Certainly not enthused about manufactured diamonds either.

Is this a case of go to a big-name chain, or are there some better ways to go about such a purchase?

Given that there are more than a few fine watch enthusiasts here, it seemed a good idea to ask.

Thanks in advance.

Overwhelmingly, your best bet will be someone highly recommended from others you trust. If you don't know anyone in the jewelry field that can be your native guide, see if any female friends or family members can help you out. If the person in question has a BFF, they can be a good resource.

Otherwise, I would want an individual with a good rep that has access to the wholesale side.

Another way to go is see if there is a good place that deals with vintage or estate jewelry. If they deal with with higher end they will have a keen eye for stuff, and are more likely to be fair and honest (check reputations), because they want you to think of them later, for other jewelry, housewares, etc. They want a customer, not just a sale, like many diamond dealers who know they'll never see you again. You can find many classic style rings this way, or maybe do something a little different, if you know her tastes well enough.

That's if you want a pretty standard princess cut solitaire prong set on gold or platinum. If you want something more unique, let me know; I have two different ladies that I know and have worked with personally that do amazing work that I would recommend in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe S View Post
    Overwhelmingly, your best bet will be someone highly recommended from others you trust. If you don't know anyone in the jewelry field that can be your native guide, see if any female friends or family members can help you out. If the person in question has a BFF, they can be a good resource.

Otherwise, I would want an individual with a good rep that has access to the wholesale side.

Another way to go is see if there is a good place that deals with vintage or estate jewelry. If they deal with with higher end they will have a keen eye for stuff, and are more likely to be fair and honest (check reputations), because they want you to think of them later, for other jewelry, housewares, etc. They want a customer, not just a sale, like many diamond dealers who know they'll never see you again. You can find many classic style rings this way, or maybe do something a little different, if you know her tastes well enough.

That's if you want a pretty standard princess cut solitaire prong set on gold or platinum. If you want something more unique, let me know; I have two different ladies that I know and have worked with personally that do amazing work that I would recommend in a heartbeat.
    Yeah, the standard princess-cut isn’t quite going to ‘cut it’ here. I’d be very interested in who you would recommend and taking a look at their work!

QVC has them for 89.99 about once a week

Quote Originally Posted by Arbninftry View Post
    QVC has them for 89.99 about once a week
    I guess I understand why everyone here has so much money to throw at whiskey, watches, and boutique pistols now....

😂

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_S View Post
    I guess I understand why everyone here has so much money to throw at whiskey, watches, and boutique pistols now....

😂
    Thats how I got a TRIARC on order

Site Supporter
    Using a ring that’s already in your family is an option which some people don’t like for various reasons, but which others find very appealing, and which I thought I’d mention. Grandmothers, if you’re fortunate enough to have one or two still with you, can be good people to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Français View Post
    Using a ring that’s already in your family is an option which some people don’t like for various reasons, but which others find very appealing, and which I thought I’d mention. Grandmothers, if you’re fortunate enough to have one or two still with you, can be good people to ask.
    This is a great option, also. My sister-in-law wears the rock from one of my great-grandmother's rings on a new band.

Dan, PM incoming.

I got nothing except best wishes!

My personal experience: I bought a loose diamond and had it mounted on ring from a big chain store. I was lucky because my brother's best friend had family in the wholesale jewelry business. I had a caret size, clarity, shape and price in mind. I called that friend's brother and he said he could help. I drove from Phoenix to downtown LA. The place looked exactly like the opening scene of Snatch. I paid in cash (the most amount of cash I ever had on my person in my life up that point). I put the stone in a ziplock and drove back to Phoenix that same day. It was a hell of a deal. Prior to getting that lucky break, I would ask women I knew with diamonds where they got it from. They were more than happy share and show off.

One thing: my wife is a more cheaper bastard than me, but make no mistake; if I came back with a rock less than 1 caret, it would've been ugly. Broad judgmental strokes I know, but we are talking about women.

User Tag List