Thread: S&W 642-1 (J -Frame) frame wear

Site Supporter

S&W 642-1 (J -Frame) frame wear

Was shooting the 642-1 today and notice the cylinder was hard to close after approx 15 or so rounds. After wiping some of the soot off, I noticed that the front of the cylinder/yoke seems to be wearing a gouge into the frame (see pic). It is less than 1mm deep. Cause for concern? I should be able shim the cylinder back to alleviate the issue, correct?

Name:  IMG_0215.jpg
Views: 1066
Size:  54.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by bajasr100 View Post
    Was shooting the 642-1 today and notice the cylinder was hard to close after approx 15 or so rounds. After wiping some of the soot off, I noticed that the front of the cylinder/yoke seems to be wearing a gouge into the frame (see pic). It is less than 1mm deep. Cause for concern? I should be able shim the cylinder back to alleviate the issue, correct?

Views: 1066
Size:  54.4 KB
    Can you highlight the area you are concerned about so folks can assess? I can't determine a problem from the photo. You're probably ok as long as you don't get a frame crack below the barrel/forcing cone. There are flukes from the factory, but despite the hyperbole on the interweb, I'm starting to believe that absent the lock & the mim, the overall tolerances on the current S&Ws is pretty good. After you "wiped off the soot" things were fine as far as function, correct?
    Last edited by Willard; 05-27-2020 at 09:54 PM.

Assuming its not a bent yoke that should fix it. High round count gun?
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Mine looks exactly the same and has been like that since new. No cause for concern in my opinion.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Site Supporter
    Total round count is unknown, bought it used. My rounds thru it have been roughly 300ish.

Yoke does not appear to be bent, every thing lines up as it should. Its just a bit tight on closing with no perceptible cylinder endshake (cant find my feeler guages to get a good measurement.

@Willard ... the area I am concerned about is the silver crescent shape below the barrel (hopefully the attached pic has the area highlighted). The cylinder seems to be wearing the groove in it and once the powder residue builds up it will not close however once cleaned, she is good to go.

Think I am going to tear it completely down for a thorough cleaning and see where that leads.

Views: 572
Size:  54.6 KB

Barring someone else spotting something I'm overlooking, that looks like normal wear to me.

You'll see some initial wear and then it evens out and doesn't progress.

Not same thing at all, but I had an early Glock 22 .40 that had the "bump marks" on the slide from the locking block. Really looked off to me with burrs and wear, but as Glock indicated (though they later modified that area to eliminate the issue altogether) it wore to a point and stopped & never affected function. Honestly, don't see an issue. Enjoy your revolver. Just don't "flick" the cylinder closed (you probably know that, but now days you never know).

User Tag List