Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Training for ECQC in a BJJ gym

Training for ECQC in a BJJ gym

I get a lot of questions about training for an ECQC type event - entangled fighting in a weapons based environment - all the time. Generally the complaint/request for help from the person revolves around the idea that they know they need BJJ but that the only academies available to them are focused on competition. Rather than type the same response over and over, I made this video where I go over some fundamental concepts on how to accomplish this task, and why that particular issue is a moot point for beginners.

Hopefully this will help some folks.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

I had to turn the volume all the way up to hear you in this video. I am fortunate in that my BJJ coach is a proponent of conceal carry and has an orange gun ready for use. A year and a half into BJJ (3 stripe white belt) and I still feel barely competent. So much to learn! I work in security and my coach has encouraged my co worker and I to use the orange gun and feel free to practice defensive tactics and such. But I am still trying to just get the fundamentals of BJJ. I can see how adding a gun to the mix is an entirely different level. We do the Gracie GST program at my work, but that seems very basic compared to ECQC. I am interested in starting up kickboxing, as I want stand up skills, but I am not exactly looking forward to sparring with the purple belt or above equivalent of a kickboxer...

A weapons integrated grapple was probably one of my biggest fears. I had no idea how to deal with it, how to prepare for it, how to train for it, or if I had a snowballs chance in hell at surviving it.

I took Cecil's class last weekend. While it is still a nightmare scenerio, I have a functional framework of how to deal with it in a pressure tested way. How can I learn and improve? I hope to enroll in BJJ classes - because exposure to the basics of grappling will carry over and that was obvious in class.

If armed clinch and grapple are serious deficits, and you don't know what you don't know, get to a class with Cecil. You'll learn a ton and be constantly rewarded for doing well.

Very helpful. I will be forwarding this video to multiple people.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    ...get to a class with Cecil. You'll learn a ton and be constantly rewarded for doing well.
    Your reward is doing more, with your eyes closed...

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    Your reward is doing more, with your eyes closed...
    While denying weapon access from multiple opponents.

You're welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Burch View Post
    While denying weapon access from multiple opponents.

You're welcome.
    THANK YOU SIR MAY I HAVE ANOTHER

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

I've previously done several standing arts. Got my black belt in Taekwondo, background in boxing, and some small experience with BJJ. And while I'm relatively comfortable on my feet, I tend to overthink and hesitate when rolling. I'd really love to find something like this around me especially if they cover ground encounters with a CCW. I normally carrying wherever I go, and I'd hate to be put in this situation untrained.

Quote Originally Posted by BrassSlapper View Post
    I've previously done several standing arts. Got my black belt in Taekwondo, background in boxing, and some small experience with BJJ. And while I'm relatively comfortable on my feet, I tend to overthink and hesitate when rolling. I'd really love to find something like this around me especially if they cover ground encounters with a CCW. I normally carrying wherever I go, and I'd hate to be put in this situation untrained.
    Red Beard Combatives in Auburndale does rolling with CCW on a frequent basis I believe. If thats not something you can get to, Cecil said he plans to come back next year.

Quote Originally Posted by BrassSlapper View Post

I would second Cory's suggestion of looking to train with Ben at Redbeard.

Ben is doing good work in this area, and has regular dedicated sessions for it. Having met and talked to him and having in my course, I can endorse him with no caveats.

If Auburndale is too far away for weekly training, I would suggest making monthly or even every other month trips to train with him. You will at least be on the right track under a good coach's guidance.

User Tag List