Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: All Electric Pickup Truck 2021

All Electric Pickup Truck 2021

I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Well that will be interesting.

So say I need to tow a travel trailer in the 5,000-6,000 lb range. Can an electric truck do that day in and day out, on Interstate grades of 6%? It would need to in my application. No physical motor in the front means when I sit my trailer down on the hitch and apply 600-700 lb tongue weight, I'll need to crank up on the weight distribution bars to transfer more weight forward, I am guessing? These things would also need to be able to haul/tow a load 300-400 miles, and/or be able to be recharged conveniently across, say, I10 in West Texas.

I mean, I hope it works out and all, but there's a different mindset for electric vehicles between people in SoCal who buy a Tesla, and sit on the 405 inching forward in traffic, and people and fleet operators who buy pickups to haul stuff.

Laughs in gooseneck trailer.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post

So say I need to tow a travel trailer in the 5,000-6,000 lb range. Can an electric truck do that day in and day out, on Interstate grades of 6%? It would need to in my application. No physical motor in the front means when I sit my trailer down on the hitch and apply 600-700 lb tongue weight, I'll need to crank up on the weight distribution bars to transfer more weight forward, I am guessing? These things would also need to be able to haul/tow a load 300-400 miles, and/or be able to be recharged conveniently across, say, I10 in West Texas.

I mean, I hope it works out and all, but there's a different mindset for electric vehicles between people in SoCal who buy a Tesla, and sit on the 405 inching forward in traffic, and people and fleet operators who buy pickups to haul stuff.
    True points.

I would imagine that these will be marketed to the crowd that buys trucks, then never hauls anything heavier than the groceries. Around here where I live, that's a pretty large market.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    True points.

I would imagine that these will be marketed to the crowd that buys trucks, then never hauls anything heavier than the groceries. Around here where I live, that's a pretty large market.
    Agreed. I believe the market for people who buy trucks to move the occasional piece of furniture is larger than the market for people who haul anything. Since El Caminos aren't cool (or produced), they drive trucks.

This is designed from the get go as a work truck. And there are already semis running all electric. Id say it will handle everything you need to do. Electric motors have an insane amount of torque.

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    This is designed from the get go as a work truck. And there are already semis running all electric. Id say it will handle everything you need to do. Electric motors have an insane amount of torque.
    Cool. In production? in routine use? Where? (it's a genuine question, I did a quick web search and didn't come up with anything that was actually in use.

Cummins has a prototype concept:

https://www.autoweek.com/article/gre...-haul-trucking

Here's a 2018 article about Freightliner teaming up with Penske.

https://www.fool.com/investing/2018/...st-teslas.aspx

Not sure what the status of this is.

I found an article about Tesla's truck here:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...ity/873162001/

This is from 2017.

Not trying to be a dick, an electric semi tractor that can tow a 53' trailer just isn't something I'm familiar with as being an operational thing, at least here in the US, and I'm hoping to learn more.

As far as trailers for pickups, my needs envision a standard 1500 pickup, but larger travel trailers and fifth wheels are on the order of 12,000-15,000 lbs with tougue weights up to 1,400 lbs. They need the duallie or 3500 chassis generally in order to handle the loads. Same for the folks towing horse trailers and the like, via gooseneck attachment points in the truck bed.

Like I said, it's a cool concept, I just hope it's design parameters include common or typical pickup uses. Of course it can be a car with a truck body on it for the Urban Cowboys, but to get the high sales, a pickup needs to be able to do pickup stuff. Ford sold around 186K F series trucks in the first quarter of 2020, Ram 129K and 144K Chevy Silverados were sold. That's a lotta trucks, if they can make an electric version of one that is useful, they should sell a bunch.

https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2020-u...ures-by-model/

Cool. In production? in routine use? Where? (it's a genuine question, I did a quick web search and didn't come up with anything that was actually in use.

Cummins has a prototype concept:

https://www.autoweek.com/article/gre...-haul-trucking

Here's a 2018 article about Freightliner teaming up with Penske.

https://www.fool.com/investing/2018/...st-teslas.aspx

Not sure what the status of this is.

I found an article about Tesla's truck here:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...ity/873162001/

This is from 2017.

Not trying to be a dick, an electric semi tractor that can tow a 53' trailer just isn't something I'm familiar with as being an operational thing, at least here in the US, and I'm hoping to learn more.

As far as trailers for pickups, my needs envision a standard 1500 pickup, but larger travel trailers and fifth wheels are on the order of 12,000-15,000 lbs with tougue weights up to 1,400 lbs. They need the duallie or 3500 chassis generally in order to handle the loads. Same for the folks towing horse trailers and the like, via gooseneck attachment points in the truck bed.

Like I said, it's a cool concept, I just hope it's design parameters include common or typical pickup uses. Of course it can be a car with a truck body on it for the Urban Cowboys, but to get the high sales, a pickup needs to be able to do pickup stuff. Ford sold around 186K F series trucks in the first quarter of 2020, Ram 129K and 144K Chevy Silverados were sold. That's a lotta trucks, if they can make an electric version of one that is useful, they should sell a bunch.

https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2020-u...ures-by-model/
    I just searched electric semis and theres a bunch of articles.
    Heres one https://www.google.com/amp/s/electre...ecascadia/amp/

The problem right now with full electric is fuel is cheap.

I really want a diesel hybrid pickup. You could put a small 4 cylinder diesel that puts out 200HP/350TQ and let the electric motor help with the heavy lifting. With a 30 gallon tank, I'm thinking a 600 mile range doable when towing a 4K load.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Ive told a guy building a house now that I would have the electricians size the service to include breakers for two chargers and have the wiring run to the garage. It only makes sense that this is coming soon.
    I have a buddy who has one of the BMW all electrics now as his commuter and he loves it. If they havent introduced it already they have a small SUV all electric coming.

User Tag List