Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: All Electric Pickup Truck 2021

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    The problem right now with full electric is fuel is cheap.

I really want a diesel hybrid pickup. You could put a small 4 cylinder diesel that puts out 200HP/350TQ and let the electric motor help with the heavy lifting. With a 30 gallon tank, I'm thinking a 600 mile range doable when towing a 4K load.
    Maybe its cheap now but you also have to figure the inevitable price increase once the world is back in full swing. Also maintenance cost have to be figured in.
    Assuming all electric is viable for that individual.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

I drove through LA the other day and was surprised by how much smog there was given the lockdown. Apparently cars now contribute relatively little to smog, but diesel trucks have become the largest source. https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...on-not-so-much

Name:  Screenshot_2020-05-27-12-50-59-1.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  35.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Maybe its cheap now but you also have to figure the inevitable price increase once the world is back in full swing. Also maintenance cost have to be figured in.
    Assuming all electric is viable for that individual.
    By maintenance, do you mean batteries vs oil changes?
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

This looks like it has excellent potential. I love the idea of an electric truck. There are a lot of potential advantages:

-lower maintenance since electric engines are inherently simpler than ICE's , due to the fact the conversion of fuel into energy happens in a power plant and not under your hood
    -lower maintenance since you dont have all the complex emission systems attached to your motor.
    -max torque at 0 rpm, an advantage in offroading and general fun-to-drive-ness, and perhaps even in towing.
    -potentially awesome off road, since each wheel can get power independently without the need for lockers or complex 4wd systems. Also, could be designed to ford water like a boss since the motor doesnt breathe air.
    -badass for SHTF, since you can charge it from your house if you have solar panels or some other off grid energy source.

What im looking for is something that is tough and capable off road, durable and easy to wrench on, and obviously affordable. What I dont want is excessive gadgetry. Will this truck deliver that? The CEO's comments in the article imply it will, but i wont get my hopes up.

Quote Originally Posted by TicTacticalTimmy View Post
    -potentially awesome off road, since each wheel can get power independently without the need for lockers or complex 4wd systems. Also, could be designed to ford water like a boss since the motor doesnt breathe air.
    You've also got a lot lower center of gravity so you can sidehill on steeper slopes (plus ascend & descend with more stability). The underbody can be a lot smoother - basically a giant skidplate. And it will be super quiet when scouting for game.

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    By maintenance, do you mean batteries vs oil changes?
    I mean the whole gamut of fluids and mechanics. Oil gas coolant transmission fluid differential fluid. Not sure how braking and steering work in these but I assume a lot of the braking could come from the motors.
    And a note Im not portraying myself as an expert just referencing my time in industrial maintenance to these all electric vehicles.
    My buddy was telling me his BMW all electric has a heat pump for cabin heating and cooling. I thought that was pretty cool. I think it also has an option for a tiny gas generator.

This looks like it has excellent potential. I love the idea of an electric truck. There are a lot of potential advantages:

-lower maintenance since electric engines are inherently simpler than ICE's , due to the fact the conversion of fuel into energy happens in a power plant and not under your hood
    -lower maintenance since you dont have all the complex emission systems attached to your motor.
    -max torque at 0 rpm, an advantage in offroading and general fun-to-drive-ness, and perhaps even in towing.
    -badass for SHTF, since you can charge it from your house if you have solar panels or some other off grid energy source.

What im looking for is something that is tough and capable off road, durable and easy to wrench on, and obviously affordable. What I dont want is excessive gadgetry. Will this truck deliver that? The CEO's comments in the article imply it will, but i wont get my hopes up.
    The Rivian has a fording depth of 39.4 inches and after that it will float. Im assuming that means you can drive it through water. https://www.motortrend.com/news/2020...-pickup-truck/

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    The Rivian has a fording depth of 39.4 inches and after that it will float. Im assuming that means you can drive it through water. https://www.motortrend.com/news/2020...-pickup-truck/
    Wow that looks pretty impressive. Adjustable ground clearance up to 14" beats my dirt bike!

However, at 70K+ I doubt it would make sense for me personally over a gasser at under half the price, plus it looks like it may be aiming for the luxury truck market and only offering a crewcab, which is not my preference as I need a full length bed and dont really want the extra wheelbase length.

What I find most intriguing about the truck in the OP is that they are (according to CEO) designing it with fleet buyers in mind, which bodes well for cost-effectiveness, real world utility, ease of maintenance, etc.

Wow that looks pretty impressive. Adjustable ground clearance up to 14" beats my dirt bike!

However, at 70K+ I doubt it would make sense for me personally over a gasser at under half the price, plus it looks like it may be aiming for the luxury truck market and only offering a crewcab, which is not my preference as I need a full length bed and dont really want the extra wheelbase length.

What I find most intriguing about the truck in the OP is that they are (according to CEO) designing it with fleet buyers in mind, which bodes well for cost-effectiveness, real world utility, ease of maintenance, etc.
    Buying directly from them is like buying a tesla. They had a partnership with one of the big three but its on hold for the moment.
    Im sure they will come down in price Id say a lot, in the not too distant future. I agree There is no way Id buy in at that price but consider how much cheaper these will be to build the price has gotta come down.

2022 Ford Lightning all electric

With so many car and truck threads, wasn’t sure if we were discussing this yet. Thought I’d add it here

https://www.ford.com/f150-lightning/

Apparently the rumors so far is dual motor, AWD, “more powerful than any other F150 on the market today” (this was said at a time when the most powerful was 450hp, as I understand it), and. Ore “street” oriented than “off-road”.

I’m actually rather excited, however I expect it’ll be $70k.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

User Tag List