Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ohio Peace Officer Training Academy lays off all their LETO’s

@John Hearne,

When I was there, the firearms staff was really short and took people from other divisions who could shoot at least a 255/300 cross-train as FIs. No interest, skill or particular background in guns. It's probably the reason my experience with the FLETC firearms program was so exceptionally poor compared to all the other divisions, most of which I felt were adequate and some quite excellent.

The ORT guys taught the medical stuff as well. It was pretty....lacking. I hope that's something that has changed, since they've got a stand-alone division for medical stuff these days and by all reports I've heard are pretty superlative. I was slated to take their Tac-Med instructor class back in 2018 but a government shutdown had other plans for all of us....
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

When I attended FITP in Artesia, the FI staff was qualified and knowledgeable. I had some ideas to tweak one or two very minor issues I had with the curriculum taught. I was advised by staff that any deviation had to be sent up the chain, approved by a committee, and then disseminated to all the FLETC locations. This is good for consistency's sake across ALL training blocks within FLETC, but evolution is an uphill battle. Institutional inertia at its finest.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    When I attended FITP in Artesia, the FI staff was qualified and knowledgeable. I had some ideas to tweak one or two very minor issues I had with the curriculum taught. I was advised by staff that any deviation had to be sent up the chain, approved by a committee, and then disseminated to all the FLETC locations. This is good for consistency's sake across ALL training blocks within FLETC, but evolution is an uphill battle. Institutional inertia at its finest.
    The committee meaning it has to be approved by all 80 partner agencies....

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    A retired IRS Agent ran our poaching/deer decoy operation practical exercise at FLETC. His views did not seem to be consistent with reality as I understood it. (How's that for diplomatic?)
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    @John Hearne,

When I was there, the firearms staff was really short and took people from other divisions who could shoot at least a 255/300 cross-train as FIs. No interest, skill or particular background in guns. It's probably the reason my experience with the FLETC firearms program was so exceptionally poor compared to all the other divisions, most of which I felt were adequate and some quite excellent.

The ORT guys taught the medical stuff as well. It was pretty....lacking. I hope that's something that has changed, since they've got a stand-alone division for medical stuff these days and by all reports I've heard are pretty superlative. I was slated to take their Tac-Med instructor class back in 2018 but a government shutdown had other plans for all of us....
    FLETC has full time Firearms instructors who work directly for FLETC, rehired annuitants (sometimes) and FI’s supplied by participating Agencies. Participating agencies have to either pay FLETC, give FLETC full time augmentees, or both.

The augmentees must all attend FLETC’s FITP regardless of other certifications so they are somewhat on the same page but they all bring their agency baggage.

I attended FLETC FITP at Cheltemham. The staff was mostly very good with the exception of the one retired Army MP / former Army MP school instructor who was like a walking collection of negative Army stereotypes. To include telling people to scrub the finish off the bolts of brand new M4s until they were silver......

User Tag List