Page 91 of 101 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293 ... LastLast

Thread: General Holosun pistol optic thread

Quote Originally Posted by Utm View Post
    While I am not anti holosun, I personally would not buy version 1 of an optic they put out. I would buy version 2 and buy a second for when the first goes down.
    I’m not as worried about Gen1 Holosuns - they have a good reputation for making things right.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Cross-posting this here for obvious reasons.
    I find that the circle is more likely to pull attention/focus to the RDS. Since it's big and has more defined points in the reticle, I tend to get sucked into it rather than staying really locked into my target point.

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    I find that the circle is more likely to pull attention/focus to the RDS. Since it's big and has more defined points in the reticle, I tend to get sucked into it rather than staying really locked into my target point.
    That’s defiantly a valid point/concern. But, I think it’s just like working on target focus with a 2moa dot too. It’s just a new approach I never thought of even trying. So I’m just giving it a try. And clearly it’s not for everyone. I do know running the circle dot reticle (due to a battery issue), I shot my best IDPA match ever. Didnt occur to me at the time it *could* of been the large reticle because I’ve been so sure the small dot was the only way.

Many very accomplished shooters prefer 6moa too (Kyle Defoor, Annette Evans). Which was odd to me also. I’m fairly new to RDO’s and have had a new world open to me after having cataract surgery. I’ve suffered from vision induced shooting deficiencies for a long time. So lots to take in.
    Aaron D.
    EvoSec
    Evolution Security Podcast

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    @JCL found that happened (at least at first) with his 509t2 with the ACSS chevron.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I think getting sucked into the reticle is something that even the elite shooters deal with or have dealt with. The not so recent trend of occluding the optic just goes to show that one has to practice these visual endeavors.

I actually have come to like the ACSS reticle on a carry gun.

I don’t experience any false dots or anything and the reticle shape/size helps when the optic gets foggy or wet(artificially when testing). I have the green version which I strongly prefer. At first with the optic turned up and the bright green reticle, it would grab my eye but working on target focus and getting used to the optic(or any optic) has paid off.

For strictly range/competition I like the 2.5dot SRO

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rawkguitarist View Post
    That’s defiantly a valid point/concern. But, I think it’s just like working on target focus with a 2moa dot too. It’s just a new approach I never thought of even trying. So I’m just giving it a try. And clearly it’s not for everyone. I do know running the circle dot reticle (due to a battery issue), I shot my best IDPA match ever. Didnt occur to me at the time it *could* of been the large reticle because I’ve been so sure the small dot was the only way.

Many very accomplished shooters prefer 6moa too (Kyle Defoor, Annette Evans). Which was odd to me also. I’m fairly new to RDO’s and have had a new world open to me after having cataract surgery. I’ve suffered from vision induced shooting deficiencies for a long time. So lots to take in.
    I strongly prefer a 6-10 moa dot. I think 2 is smaller than optimal, even on a carbine. I've always thought the "precision" argument is odd when you start think about what the bullet is doing in flight in relation to the dot.

I need to put some occluded practice in with just the circle to see if I can get the hang of it. But, I'd have to, you know, practice first . . .

I was locked into a "smaller dot the better" mindset when I first got into pistol dots and I was only running the 2 MOA dot option. I've read enough here from better shooters than me that I needed to open my mind a bit. I switched to the circle only reticle for the last few weeks and it is better for pistol shooting, and I've realized that a 2MOA or smaller dot is essentially putting a rifle optic on a pistol and doesn't match the gun. The circle only dot has a big weakness for me though, it only works with my vision corrected by glasses or contacts. It is a hot overlapping circles mess when my astigmatism is allowed to come out of hiding and just way too much going on visually.
    On my G19 carry gun, I got the EPS 6 MOA version. After working with that, it is my absolute favorite pistol red dot I've ever used. The 6 MOA dot works for me with either corrected or uncorrected vision, and I actually shoot more accurately with it because I don't have to crank the brightness to crazy levels. I really want the 6MOA dot on everything now but I'm not ready to give up the 509t on my G17. I never shoot that gun without corrected vision so I'm content to keep working the circle only for a while to see if Holosun is willing to offer the 6 MOA dot on more of their optic lines. I'm really hoping the EPS isn't going to be the only enclosed pistol optic with a 6 MOA dot option ever on the market.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    @JCL found that happened (at least at first) with his 509t2 with the ACSS chevron.
    Yes, it was definitely a distraction from target focus at first. Having mostly sorted that out I’m left with the question of what, if any attention is required to use the top of the chevron as the aiming point as opposed to treating it like a big, imprecise dot.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JCL View Post
    Yes, it was definitely a distraction from target focus at first. Having mostly sorted that out I’m left with the question of what, if any attention is required to use the top of the chevron as the aiming point as opposed to treating it like a big, imprecise dot.
    That was my conclusion with the Chevron. I thought the big circle was a great idea, especially for teaching shooters with little to no index to start with a dot gun, but I real wanted just a 6-10 minute dot as the center reticle.

Has anyone had a pistol machined to direct mount a 509t? I'd be curious to hear about how this worked out.

User Tag List