Page 73 of 101 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583 ... LastLast

Thread: General Holosun pistol optic thread

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Does the 8 MOA circle render cleaner for those with astigmatism?
    I'm a right-hand shooter who is left-eye dominant. I have astigmatism in both eyes but worse in my left (dominant) eye.

The 407CO looks awesome if I'm wearing contacts or glasses. It looks "ok" without if it's bright daylight. In any other light condition including indoors with lights on, it's a big blur around two rings. It sucks.

My 407CO is on my main range gun but it's either bright or I'm wearing contacts. I'm leery to carry it on or off duty because of my uncorrected vision should that be a thing.

If my eyes weren't as defective as they are it would probably be my all-around favorite reticle.

SoCalDep, thanks for that description!

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
    The 407CO looks awesome if I'm wearing contacts or glasses. It looks "ok" without if it's bright daylight. In any other light condition including indoors with lights on, it's a big blur around two rings.

SoCalDep, a follow-up question if I may - do handgun iron sights appear sharper with or without your corrective lenses?

Thanks again.

SoCalDep, a follow-up question if I may - do handgun iron sights appear sharper with or without your corrective lenses?

Thanks again.
    Just barely sharper with my glasses on... now. I haven’t worn my contacts in a bit but with those I have to sort of consciously focus to see the sights clearly.

Until a year or two ago, my glasses did not improve my close vision at all. It seemed to me that my perfect point of clarity in my uncorrected vision was my front sight. I could stare at the target (which was blurry) with both eyes open and even though the sights had that transparent look from both eyes open target focus the sights were still perfectly clear.

I thought it was rad and my eye doctor thought it was interesting that I purposely shot without glasses - partly for that reason. Then enter pistol optics, and my eyes were no longer “ideal” like they were for iron sights. So, I explored contacts but they have their own issues and I still shoot more without them. I may get some prescription shooting glasses at some point.

Anyway, I checked last night and the front sight is just a hair better with glasses on. Reading is also just a bit easier as is looking at a computer/device screen.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
    Until a year or two ago, my glasses did not improve my close vision at all. It seemed to me that my perfect point of clarity in my uncorrected vision was my front sight. I could stare at the target (which was blurry) with both eyes open and even though the sights had that transparent look from both eyes open target focus the sights were still perfectly clear.
    This is where I'm at now. Glasses make the target sharper but really blurs the irons. With no corrective lenses the target is clear enough to hit it where I want to with the irons in good focus.

I can function without my glasses but my situational awareness in public is obviously much enhanced with clear distance vision. So this is the dilemma: in public I wear my glasses but if I had to use the pistol, I'm far better off without them.

So in my analysis to move to a MRDS on a pistol, a dot appears as a cluster of grapes due to astigmatism. A 1 MOA dot becomes a 4 - 5 MOA cluster, but at least the cluster is circular. My thinking is that I'm going to roll with a 1 MOA RMR so I can shoot with my glasses on and have a 4 - 5 MOA aiming point on a sharply-focused target.

Thanks again for sharing the info!

507K vs. 407K

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't these otherwise identical other than the reticle?

Thanks.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't these otherwise identical other than the reticle?

Thanks.
    That’s my understanding. 407K only has the 6MOA dot. 507K has the option of 2MOA dot, 32 MOA ring, or circle-dot combo. 407K is less a little $$.

Majority of my red dots are 5 to 6.5 MOA, so for me it was a natural choice to go with the 407K’s 6MOA dot. I never really spent any time with the circle-dot reticle so didn’t want to confuse my pea brain with something new on an EDC gun.

407K Green 6 MOA

My sample arrived today and initial impressions are good. Shake-Awake works as expected and the dot is plenty bright. On blue-sky sun-lit snow, the dot is nuclear on max, is perfect one notch down and still usable two notches down. Two notches down the dot is bright enough to be seen on a white wall eight feet away illuminated with a Malkoff Super Hound Dog (1,600 lumens/75k candela). The 6 MOA dot looks crisp wearing my corrective lenses (for distance).

The CHPWS plate is perfectly sized for this optic. I secured the optic to the plate with the supplied hardware and then jury-rig taped it to my PPQ. From low-ready I had no difficulty quickly acquiring the dot, so it seems my countless target-focus presentation repetitions have paid off.

With optic and plate in-hand and all looking good, the slide is packed up and heading to CHPWS for milling.

Is there a consensus on whether the CHPWS RMR-to-509T plate is worth it over the factory Holosun plate? I saw some measurements earlier in the thread and I did my own comparison using a CHPWS MOS-to-509T plate I have handy. I really want the lowest dot I can get, but I don't know if the fraction of an inch justifies $50 and dealing with CHPWS. A friend mentioned that having a higher optic isn't the worst thing in the world if I plan to shoot suppressed (though my supressor is still in NFA jail), so I am leaning towards sticking with the factory plate. Interesedt in hearing from anyone else that bought the CHPWS RMR-to-509T and whether or not they regret the purchase.
    Last edited by Gaston; 01-25-2022 at 01:30 PM.

General Holosun pistol optic thread

Nice snowshoe trip on Mt. St. Helens today with Mrs. CF. P-07 / Holosun 509t2, AIWB.

“There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List