Page 70 of 101 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280 ... LastLast

Thread: General Holosun pistol optic thread

Thanks for the info guys.

MVS I know the reticle is 10 MOA, do you find it too big? What about the reticle that you don’t care for?

I know when I checked out the 509t green with circle and dot reticle it was like video game cheat mode compared to the RMR.

Quote Originally Posted by EVP View Post
    Thanks for the info guys.

MVS I know the reticle is 10 MOA, do you find it too big? What about the reticle that you don’t care for?

I know when I checked out the 509t green with circle and dot reticle it was like video game cheat mode compared to the RMR.
    It was fine for standing still on open targets. When I was moving or shooting at speed on partial targets it was clumsy. Maybe it is just because I have been shooting round dots for over a decade.

Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    I can't photograph worth a crap or I would post comparison pics, but I would say yes the 507c seems larger than the RMR when I look through mine. Some of that has to do I think with how thick the surround is on the RMR. Eventually you don't notice it. If you are really used to regular dots, you may not like the Vulcan at least that was my experience.
    If you look at our display thread, you will note the Holosun 507C is larger than the RMR, and even more so when you consider part of the RMR display is blocked by the emitter housing.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I dig circle only for general purpose shooting, what are your current thoughts on it for competition?

@GJM, @Clusterfrack, whoever. . . .
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    I dig circle only for general purpose shooting, what are your current thoughts on it for competition?
    I prefer a dot only. I can react quickly to a streak arriving on target. Maybe I’m not used to the other reticles yet but they seem too complicated.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post

My thoughts are that there are better competition optics than the Holosun, because the Holosun displays are relatively small. If I was using a Holosun multi reticle like the 507C, and there was an adverse sun angle, I would select circle only, to avoid splatter and multiple dots. However, I find a single dot easier to shot call.

If I had to use a Holosun for competition, it would be the 407CO with the 8 moa circle, which has the best attributes of a dot and circle. I would also remove BUIS, if they obscured much of the Holosun display.

I do like circle only for EDC, for reasons I have described previously (adverse sun angles, weird grips, support hand, better in a variety of lighting conditions). Aiming at a coyote about 100 yards away, I noted that the circle, especially with the brightness high, obscured more down range view than I like, but there are inevitably compromises with reticle selection and dot intensity.

In the fall of 2020, I sent YVK a 43X slide with a direct milled 507K on a long term lend basis. It was zeroed with 115 Gold Dot, and he said he never touched the zero. He carried it nearly a year, and just sent it back to me now that he is 365 centric.

I figured I better shoot it, after all his regular hijinks. Here is the first and only five shots of 115 Gold Dot at 20 yards.

Name:  58CDB170-0229-4EE2-A480-9B4E88F6ABD4.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  31.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    My thoughts are that there are better competition optics than the Holosun, because the Holosun displays are relatively small. If I was using a Holosun multi reticle like the 507C, and there was an adverse sun angle, I would select circle only, to avoid splatter and multiple dots. However, I find a single dot easier to shot call.

If I had to use a Holosun for competition, it would be the 407CO with the 8 moa circle, which has the best attributes of a dot and circle. I would also remove BUIS, if they obscured much of the Holosun display.

I do like circle only for EDC, for reasons I have described previously (adverse sun angles, weird grips, support hand, better in a variety of lighting conditions). Aiming at a coyote about 100 yards away, I noted that the circle, especially with the brightness high, obscured more down range view than I like, but there are inevitably compromises with reticle selection and dot intensity.
    Did you hit the coyote?

Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    Did you hit the coyote?
    My wife would beat the crap out of me if I shot one that was not threatening Astro, so no I didn't shoot, although I peeked "just in case."

Dirty lens and all, the 407 CO 8 moa circle works great in a low sun angle. No question where the circle is.

User Tag List