Page 99 of 101 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101 LastLast

Thread: General Holosun pistol optic thread

Quote Originally Posted by ECK View Post
    Anybody have any feedback (good or bad) on the EPS?

I’m looking at that one because it uses the K footprint, which helps with direct milling on narrow slides such a 1911/2011 or CZ Shadows slides while still having a decent size window. Other reason it appeals to me is it’s one of the few red dots HS offers that is a 6MOA dot.
    I like the EPS. I have 3, and they have all been trouble free. I think they're the best general purpose carry optic available currently. For a hard use gun, I prefer the 509t because it's a bit more rugged, and the mount is bombproof.

For a gamer gun like a Shadow2, the EPS and 509 have too small a window. I have SROs on my S2s. One is direct milled and the other is on a CZ Custom plate. There hasn't been any issue with mounting a wider optic. If I had to replace one, I'd probably go with the Holosun 507 comp.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I think the 509T has some advantages in the field pistol role. Tougher material, larger more readily available battery, potentially stronger mounting system, and the big one -- the ability to have a zeroed spare that you could slap right on in the event of a failure.

Going for the EPS is a 6 moa dot option, lower deck height that plays with normal height sights, better concealment size, and lower weight which may enhance reliability.

By running an EPS on a G5 20 and Sig X Ten C, I will see how the EPS holds up to 10mm.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I have SRO’s on both my gamer Shadow 2’s. Fire4Effect did the direct milling using their system which inserts a couple of dovetails to make the slide wide enough to fully support the mounting screws. IMO that’s the best way to approach the narrow slide and the wide RMR/SRO/HS footprint. Sadly F4E is no longer in business but I understand that Impact Machine has taken over their design and offers it.

That said, I’m still looking for an option to direct mill a red dot onto a 2011 9mm slide, and the options are limited until I thought about the K footprint and the full size EPS. I’m fine with the EPS’ window size and am willing to accept a slightly smaller window than a SRO if it means I can get it direct milled. I did consider the DPP for the 2011 but I have issues their single button control.

A gunsmith I’ve chatting with says he could have direct milled my 2011 slide for the SRO had it not been for the rear serrations, but he says the K footprint shouldn’t be a problem.

If they fit your applications you could also consider the ACRO and 509 clamp mount footprints, which work on 1911/2011 and CZ thin slides.

I have 1911s that are carry guns and I went with the EPS Carry on them. But I do like that the existence of the EPS gives me more options if I want them.

https://www.vermilionchina.com/p/hol...se-or-american

Posted without opinion at this time as I'm still processing the article.

Quote Originally Posted by stomridertx View Post

Breaking news: water is wet. We’ve been discussing Holosun being a US based subsidiary of Huanic for years here. Pretty much everyone knows it’s a Chinese company and when you purchase their products you’re doing R&D for the PLA. I continue to not care. Their optics are better than those of their competitors.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Really wish a us based company would innovate

As noted by @WobblyPossum, there wasn't anything really groundbreaking in that post. The person behind Vermilion China seems to just be discovering the whole firearms/training niche, and while is putting in some impressive effort into research, they really seem to just be reproducing common knowledge.

As for their supposition that SIG had somehow helped out Holosun to become a better optics company, I somehow doubt that; SIG was still quite new to the electro-optics industry in 2016, and was very much considered just another budget brand when it came to RDSes for the most part. While SIG did poach some folks from Leupold, AFAIK that was mostly driven around the scopes and such; it's not like Leupold has done very well in the RDS realm either (LCO was a loser, while the Freedom RDS was straight up trash). Like their article about the guy that had done some open enrollment training, the analysis might seem reasonable to the outsider, but to folks with more than just passing knowledge, it doesn't really jive, and is much more hyperbole than any meaningful commentary.

It does also, at least for me (as I try pretty hard to overcome the Gell-Mann amnesia effect), degrade the rest of the analysis on that page; if they can't get this right, how much else are they also getting wrong?

I’d like to clarify my earlier comment. It’s not that I entirely don’t care that buying Holosun products and providing feedback to the company directly helps China’s military. It’s not my preference. The problem is many of Holosun’s products don’t have direct competitors from US or friendly foreign companies. Want an enclosed emitter optic that directly mounts to the footprint most common in micro compact guns? Holosun is the only game in town with the EPS Carry. If you’ve got the other really popular footprint, the RMSc, the EPS Carry comes with a shim plate. Want a truly simple product for the non-enthusiast shooter with an optic that directly mounts to whatever optic cut your gun has and doesn’t need to be adjusted for brightness or have battery maintenance issues? Holosun is the only game in town with the SCS series. Basically mount, zero, and forget. There seems to be a decent amount of variety in optics that are geared towards competition with Trijicon, Sig, and Holosun producing products but it still sounds like the 507 Comp might be the best one. I’m happy that there are US and friendly competitors for closed emitter optics meant for duty use with the ACRO, MPS, RCR, and the closed emitter Sig M17 optic but the 509T is still a great product with arguably the strongest mounting system available. Holosun seems to read the consumer market better than most of its competitors and is innovating faster than they are.

Site Supporter
    My experience with RMRs is that they were durable, but in nearly every other regard they sucked ass and any complaint you had was null and void because they were the only game in town until Holosun came out with something cheaper, had better battery placement, was just as durable, could offer multiple reticles...and used the RMR footprint.

There would be none of the current iteration of RMRs without Holosun...so if the complaint is that you're helping the communists by being a good capitalist...well just look at the newest RMRs you bought and know that Trijicon would never have made them unless Holosun existed, and you'd be stuck with bottom loaded batteries, sealer plates, and a single reticle unless you wanted to spend way more on an aimpoint and all the wackass shit you had to do to your slide to mount one.

User Tag List