Page 12 of 101 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: General Holosun pistol optic thread

Quote Originally Posted by DaBigBR View Post
    How does the 509T mount? Initial stuff talked about it coming with an MOS plate but the press stuff says "RMR adapter."

Hoping these will be in the wild soon. I saw that C&H will get their first shipment on Monday.
    We mounted our T&E on the C&H plate. It was rock solid, I initially thought at times it was on there a little crooked but Steve said he thought the same thing when he started. I screwed up the directions on zero'ing but he squared me away and once there I believe I took the top gun on the 25 yard 10 round slow fire drill we did to end the day. C&H was awesome to deal with as well when I ordered. I told them I needed the plate quickly as when we got the notice for the 509 being shipped it was just a few days before the class. C&H shipped it quickly, I not only got multiple emails but also a text that the order was received, mailed and a tracking number. I had a question upon receipt and the owner responded with a text. I don't know how long they can do that as they grow but I couldn't of been more impressed, customer service goes a long way with me and they knocked it out of the park. We plan to make C&H plates a requirement for any future rds program for our agency. The MOS plates were okay, but none sat flat on the gun when mounted, one was bent and we just never had any confidence in them. The C&H plate for the 509 was an easy install and like I said it feels like its part of the gun and not an add on. I'd buy with confidence.

My 509T just arrived this week and I mounted it up on a MOS with the CHPWS plate as well. Very slick. I'm very impressed with the form factor, features, battery tray. If they have the battery life right it will be an Acro killer. My only "complaint" is the buttons are not as nice to adjust as the Acro, but otherwise it's pretty cool.

Yeah, Beau is a squared away cat. I've bought several plates from them.

One other thing we've noticed that is odd - the front glass is slanted back toward the shooter and this causes some distortion with the image you see through the sight. I'm going to get to shoot some 25y stuff with it next week, but it is distracting.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. No View Post
    One other thing we've noticed that is odd - the front glass is slanted back toward the shooter and this causes some distortion with the image you see through the sight. I'm going to get to shoot some 25y stuff with it next week, but it is distracting.
    That's a necessity with red dot sights. Here's an excerpt from Holosun's FAQ:
    "Why is my front (objective) lens canted (angled)?
    A canted objective lens is part of the design of a reflective/reflex sight. The objective lens must be canted to properly reflect the dot/reticle back to the user's eye."

Quote Originally Posted by stomridertx View Post
    That's a necessity with red dot sights. Here's an excerpt from Holosun's FAQ:
    "Why is my front (objective) lens canted (angled)?
    A canted objective lens is part of the design of a reflective/reflex sight. The objective lens must be canted to properly reflect the dot/reticle back to the user's eye."
    Neither the rmr nor the acro have this distortion issue, so no it is not part of a reflex sight design. It is part of the Holosun design, but whether it is truly detrimental remains to be seen.

Neither the rmr nor the acro have this distortion issue, so no it is not part of a reflex sight design. It is part of the Holosun design, but whether it is truly detrimental remains to be seen.
    It's part of the reflex sight design. When the T-2 and MRO's came out, the same question would always pop up on forums about the canted front lens. Aimpoint even addresses it on their FAQ for the MRO. Another reason for the perceived distortion is that Holosun's aren't a true 1x.

Quote Originally Posted by andre3k View Post
    It's part of the reflex sight design. When the T-2 and MRO's came out, the same question would always pop up on forums about the canted front lens. Aimpoint even addresses it on their FAQ for the MRO. Another reason for the perceived distortion is that Holosun's aren't a true 1x.
    Maybe I'm arguing semantics here, but the correct phrasing would be "It is part of *some* reflex sight designs". C-more, acro, rmr, deltapoint, I could go on .... none of them use a canted lens.

IMO, as I have run a T2 as my primary optic on my duty rifle for the better part of 5 years, there is little to no distortion noticeable through that optic. Everyone that has picked up the 509T has commented on the distortion, so it seems to be a bit more prevalent.

Maybe I'm arguing semantics here, but the correct phrasing would be "It is part of *some* reflex sight designs". C-more, acro, rmr, deltapoint, I could go on .... none of them use a canted lens.

IMO, as I have run a T2 as my primary optic on my duty rifle for the better part of 5 years, there is little to no distortion noticeable through that optic. Everyone that has picked up the 509T has commented on the distortion, so it seems to be a bit more prevalent.
    Is the "distortion" the magnification, about 1.1x? Holosuns do have that IME, but I dont think it has anything to do with the lens angle.

If so, I think you will find your brain creates a composite image when actually shooting with both eyes open, and the distortion will not be noticeable when shooting. The only exception may be precision shooting with one eye closed. If that is the case, my suggestion would be to always have both eyes open and use a target focus, regardless of shot difficulty.

Actually, all of them, including your T2 use a lens that is angled (canted). It is a necessary element of the collimating mirror design. Some may have a visual distortion due to other aspect of the lens construction but all modern LED-based reflex optics use an emitter Located somewhere offset from the center of the window. The light emitted is reflected in a collimated beam (the light is reflected in parallel so the dot stays small rather than increasing like a flashlight as the eye gets further from the lens) back to the shooter’s eye via coatings (dielectric dichroic coatings) that reflect light at certain wavelengths...so you see the dot reflected but can still see through the transparent window.

Just like looking out your rear view mirror from the offset driver’s seat in your car, in order for the beam of light from the offset emitter to align with your eye, the lens/mirror must be angled properly. In most pistol optics the emitter is centered at the bottom of the unit, so the lens is angled/canted back to align the dot with your eye. In the case of the T2/H2, the emitter is located in the bottom corner so the lens is angled back and canted toward the emitter.

User Tag List