Page 31 of 101 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181 ... LastLast

Thread: General Holosun pistol optic thread

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Ok, cleaning: So I had a range session today and the front of the lens of the optic is full of crap.

The manual says lens cleaner or water, but nothing with alcohol or acetone:

Attachment 68219

I have this Zeiss lens cleaner spray for my glasses I was going to use. It has a cocktail of chemicals but I have no idea if any of this is "acetone" or "alcohol", or otherwise not advised for the Holosun sight.

Attachment 68220

What do you guys use? I'm probably just going to dampen a clean microfiber cloth with water and gently rub the surface.
    Not sure what all is on the dot but I always go compressed air to knock out any lose debri/avoid scratches, Leupold bristle brush, Leupold lens brush or a microfiber. Might use lens cleaner if there is a lot of junk in the optic, but that is pretty rare for me

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
    Thanks for the information! I'm not super surprised, if I was traveling to majors I'd probably be running Romeo 3s. Like GJM mentioned, Holosuns are common at local matches in my area but like he says, more popular with newer competitors. I've basically decided to run Holosuns on all of my guns, competition or carry lol. I realize it is a clear drawback vs the SRO/Romeo 3 but I really like the optics.

Not to get off-topic but seeing Brian Nelson come in 13th at CO Nats with an Acro was very impressive imo.
    No problem.

Despite me living about an hour and a quarter from Frostproof, I have as much chance of shooting Nationals there as I do getting into Carnegie Hall with a Violin. . Still, I’m always amazed at how fast M/GMs shoot Alphas - and they’re aiming. Geez lol.

As soon as I get my butt back in gear this summer/fall (taking a break from USPSA because:reasons) I’ll be very curious to see how I do in CO. Right now I’m at 36% in P. So far I’m very encouraged with the 507c v2 on the G34. I’m going to take my iron sight G48 to Rangemaster Tactical Conference later this month, but after that, am either getting the slide milled or buy a 48 MOS. Most likely getting a 507K to continue learning the dot life for CCW. So far as I can tell, Holosun is about the best set of features for the price point.

Name:  004210F6-A20B-443E-B756-D0DDDC38F5BC.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  58.2 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Anyway, I'll give it a shot shooting soon. My photog skills suck, so I can't show the sight picture, but the front sight appears in the window of the 507c v2 at just around the bottom of the 32 MOA circle. I will try some sight pictures using that and the sight body as a reference, in case I need to use the front sight (only, I haven't put suppressor height rears on yet) in case of a failure of the dot.
    Shot the G34 with the 10 8 sight today, I’m super happy with it. Stone cold, first mag of 10 on The Test got a 97-5X, very good for me. Looking at last sessions targets, I’d put +one click elevation and windage on the optic before the range visit, and I think I’m good with the zero now.

Name:  8435EE75-404A-4FAA-B216-FB8A8AFF32DA.jpeg
Views: 499
Size:  77.8 KB

The front sight kind of peeps into the sight picture as I’m target focused on the dot. It’s right at the bottom of the 32 MOA circle,for me. I think it helped me keep the gun tracking in recoil as I had a solid physical index (maybe blurry but it was there). I quite like the height. I didn’t miss having visible rear sight posts. Later in the session I just lined up the body and front sight, it didn’t seem to change my shooting much.

Shot the G34 with the 10 8 sight today, I’m super happy with it. Stone cold, first mag of 10 on The Test got a 97-5X, very good for me. Looking at last sessions targets, I’d put +one click elevation and windage on the optic before the range visit, and I think I’m good with the zero now.

The front sight kind of peeps into the sight picture as I’m target focused on the dot. It’s right at the bottom of the 32 MOA circle,for me. I think it helped me keep the gun tracking in recoil as I had a solid physical index (maybe blurry but it was there). I quite like the height. I didn’t miss having visible rear sight posts. Later in the session I just lined up the body and front sight, it didn’t seem to change my shooting much.
    If you want to do it the timmie way, taking 5X the time and ammo, keep focusing on iron sights. Or you can learn what you need to do with a dot, which is shoot target focused. I would recommend pulling the band aid off by removing your sight, unless you plan to carry the 34.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    If you want to do it the timmie way, taking 5X the time and ammo, keep focusing on iron sights. Or you can learn what you need to do with a dot, which is shoot target focused. I would recommend pulling the band aid off by removing your sight, unless you plan to carry the 34.
    Where did I say I was focusing on iron sights?

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    That wasn’t very nice or kind.

Nice work on The Test! I've been in a heavy dry fire phase the last several months and I'm really starting to clamor to get back to the range more often.

To GJMs point, I think you'll eventually get to a place where you don't even notice the iron sights in your sight picture at all. You probably aren't doing this, but some shooters that are new to dots will still use irons as a reference point, but the problem there is that when you are shooting really fast on multiple targets, it can slow a shooter down/move their focus away from the target to reference the irons. That's why it can often be really beneficial to people unfamiliar with red dots to train without BUIS if they are having that issue.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    That wasn’t very nice or kind.
    I have read 90 + percent of everything Rich has written since he joined the forum. It is not nice to let people waste their time, and since I am married to an engineer, I understand when you need to give them a bonk on their helmet to get their attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
    You probably aren't doing this, but some shooters that are new to dots will still use irons as a reference point, but the problem there is that when you are shooting really fast on multiple targets, it can slow a shooter down/move their focus away from the target to reference the irons. That's why it can often be really beneficial to people unfamiliar with red dots to train without BUIS if they are having that issue.
    No worries. I can see how I probably should not have included a post on my dot shooting experience, which obviously so far is almost nil. There are plenty of other places I can do that, so I'll let the discussion get back to Holosun pistol optics.

User Tag List