Page 5 of 101 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: General Holosun pistol optic thread

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911Nut View Post
    I would welcome any further comments or details that George or any other forum member might wish to add regarding opinions of the Holosun 407K vs. the Holosun 507K mounted on a carry gun like the Sig P365XL.

My optic experience on pistols is limited, with some experience with the Leupold DPP, the Trijicon RMR, and most recently, the Trijicon SRO. My personal preference among these three optics (all on "game guns" )is the SRO with a 5 MOA dot. The primary reason for this preference is the window size of the SRO, combined with the fact that so far I have encountered virtually zero issues with "finding the dot" in the SRO, even when shooting from awkward positions, WHO, SHO, etc. That was not the case with the DPP and RMR.

Considering the significantly smaller window of the mini Holosun optics, "losing the dot" may be a potential problem on a carry gun, so I am looking for every advantage I might gain by picking the Holosun that gives me the best chance to acquire and maintain visual contact of the dot. So . . . . 407K or 507K, and why?
    I'm waiting on a 407K, I wanted the bigger dot and have no interest in the circle.

Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    I'm waiting on a 407K, I wanted the bigger dot and have no interest in the circle.
    Have you tried shooting just the circle?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Have you tried shooting just the circle?
    No I haven't.

Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    No I haven't.
    You should!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    You should!
    What are we going to discover if we did shoot the circle

Aaron Cowan seems to be liking the 507K so far

Name:  8CF81638-5481-46D8-A697-BD323FD580A5.jpg
Views: 1302
Size:  37.8 KB

So everything I’ve found online about the 507C says it has a 2 MOA dot with 32 MOA circle.

Did I get a misprint on my box?

Name:  D0E52500-EB11-4EE6-9A75-00502BDA2E38.jpg
Views: 1167
Size:  45.2 KB

Checked all of my 507 boxes and they say 65.

That's amusing.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Sooo....tell me more about this “circle” that I have toggled thru and never used. I am “reticle curious”....
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

I've been a little slow to post in this thread because I usually post on my phone and wanted a chance to sit at an actual keyboard and talk about these sights.

I'm a very small time FFL, but I sell a fair amount of pistol red dots. I started looking at Holosun a few years ago when Travis Haley started speaking positively of some of their products for rifles (think T1 sized optics). When the 507C, 407C, and 508T showed up and got some good coverage from Aaron Cowan and Steve Fisher, I decided to give them a chance, especially after checking out a Nighthawk of Fisher's that had a 508T. I ended up owning a 2011 and a 507C within a week. That led to a second one on a Glock 26 with Brownells slide. After shooting them a fair amount, I started selling them. I would guess I've sold a few dozen - mostly 507Cs in red, a few in green, and a couple 508Ts and 407Cs. To my knowledge there has been ONE failure among these optics, many of which went to cops with a large PD in the southwest, and that was handled basically immediately by Holosun sending out a new sight, rather than waiting for the user to send it in.

I have found that I greatly prefer the "dot only" configuration. The circle-dot seems like a good idea, but in practice, I found it to be crowded. It is arguably faster to acquire if you are still trying to learn the system, but I just can't get on board with it. The dots have all been very crisp for me, which is saying something as I have a mild astigmatism. I really like the 2 MOA dot over my 3.25 MOA RMRs, so much so that I've picked up a 1.0 MOA RMR to try out (because: snobbery). I cannot prove or disprove Holosun's battery life claims as my two demo 507Cs were replaced when the V2 came out. Both were still on the original battery and were sent to new owners with brand new batteries. They had about a year on them.

Downsides? The biggest one to me is that I want the dot to be a little brighter on max brightness. This is only an issue in direct, bright sunlight. It's not even really an issue, I just notice that the RMR goes quite a bit brighter and aids some in faster shooting in high sunlight conditions. The buttons on the V1 were not the best in size or tactility, but I would go as far as to say that the V2 buttons are BETTER than the RMR's buttons. Probably the best micro red dot controls on the market. Not sure that that really means anything in the real world, but they are nice.

I have recently acquired a couple green dots and am excited to give them a shot. Just handling them, my impression is that the green appears brighter to my eyes in sunlight, possibly fixing the brightness shortfall mentioned above. I hope to do some testing starting this week. More to come, hopefully.

User Tag List