Page 50 of 101 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100 ... LastLast

Thread: General Holosun pistol optic thread

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post

To the extent I can do it in a hotel room () I'll get my 507c and 507k out and see if I can gueestimate parallax on mine.
    Ok, in my room, at a distance of 9 or 10 yards from the far wall, I braced my 507k / G48 on the bathroom door and held it on a circular target (a clock) the other end of the room. I have it set for circle only. I centered the doughnut on the clock, and then moved only my head side to side, and up and down, to the edges of the display window, trying to see a shift of the doughnut in PoA on the clock center. There was none.

I did the same test with my 507c / G34, which is set to dot only. Same results; moving my head side to side and up and down if the dot is centered on the target, I don't see the dot move anywhere, it just sits in the middle of the target, throughout the envelop of the 1X glass of the RDS, edge to edge and top to bottom. In other words the dot is on target no matter where I look.

So in conclusion, I don't observe / see "any" parallax in my two Holosun RDSs. I suspect if I mounted the gun in an vice, and used a calibrated target, and had a bunch of people take observations, over a number of samples there would be some parallax, even if a little (it seems hard for me to believe it's possible to get to 0.) But based on this, and unless I am missing something (could be) I would describe mine as essentially "parallax free" at this range. My G48 was direct milled by PM, and my 34 uses a FCD plate; maybe these are low relative to deck height over bore, which may help (I confess I dunno). But at least if parallax is there, it's well below the significance of my poor trigger control, when it comes to getting an effective first time A zone shot. Obviously this is highly unscientific, non-calibrated, just a random observation of one sample, etc.
    Last edited by RJ; 06-16-2021 at 11:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I’ll let you bug brains do the math but is it just me or does Holosun seem to be “blowing out” their current stock of optics, particularly the 509’s like they are getting ready to drop something new / improved ?
    One of the places that was selling the 509t for $299 was calling it a closeout. Don't know if that was just marketing or they know something we don't.

I just got a 509T, and have to say I'm fairly unimpressed. First of all, it only has two reticle options - the circle dot, and the 2MOA dot. The former is too busy for my tastes, and the latter is too small for anything except deliberate accuracy-based shooting. Not sure why this model does not include the "donut of death" that I love on my 507K carry sights.

The auto adjust is decent, if moving from bright to dim, dim to dimmer, or dim to bright, the sight "keeps up" pretty well. The problem, as with any other auto adjust, is if you're in the "dim" shooting into the "light," you're pretty well fooked with a nearly impossible to find reticle.

The killers for me, though were (a) a canted reticle (about 10 degrees to starboard, confirmed by my better half and then by my shooting partner), and the fact that the sight has a magnification problem, like the MRO. It's slight, but it's there - causing distortion when you snap the optic onto target and see the target in two different sizes through your eyes until your brain superimposes them. Never had that issue with any other open emitter red dot, or the Acro I played with briefly.

Super sad face, I was all set to send a Glock slide off to Jagerworks for their insanely deep direct mill, but, looks like I need to keep searching for "the" optic for me.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    I

Super sad face, I was all set to send a Glock slide off to Jagerworks for their insanely deep direct mill, but, looks like I need to keep searching for "the" optic for me.
    When you find "the" optic please let me know. I have been through a number of them in the last 11 years and like some better than others, but still haven't come close to funding "the one".

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post

Since Holosun advertises a "parallax-free" design, it may be that particular optic is not within the specification? .

Many (most?) red dots, both pistol and rifle, advertise themselves as parallax free, but there is often fine print associated with that claim. What they actually mean is it is parallax free at a specific (often unadvertised) distance. I seem to recall hearing the RMR's specified distance is 25y, so that would work well with the common 25y zero. Perhaps Holosun is either not meeting spec, or their spec'd distance is something weird.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

I think the 509's are being cleared out for a new updated 509T. From what I heard it has clearer glass (I think reducing the magnified aspect) and updated circuit board that gives you the dot, dot with circle or just a circle. Should be out in a month or two.

Quote Originally Posted by cpd2110 View Post
    I think the 509's are being cleared out for a new updated 509T. From what I heard it has clearer glass (I think reducing the magnified aspect) and updated circuit board that gives you the dot, dot with circle or just a circle. Should be out in a month or two.
    Interesting. Any chance you could give more details about the clearer glass or where you heard that? That was the issue that had me get rid of the 4 that I owned.

It definitely feels like this is a response to the new ACRO being announced. They probably felt they needed to step up the quality to compete.

Quote Originally Posted by dontshakepandas View Post
    Interesting. Any chance you could give more details about the clearer glass or where you heard that? That was the issue that had me get rid of the 4 that I owned.

It definitely feels like this is a response to the new ACRO being announced. They probably felt they needed to step up the quality to compete.
    It came from a rep from the company. I personally would doubt it is about the Acro, more likely just them improving the product and they seem to be able to adjust quickly. The only thing i was told is that the new glass reduces the magnification.

At the end of my practice session today, I decided to shoot a five shot group with my 365XL/507K with just the circle reticle, followed by just the dot. The distance was twenty yards and I was using 115 American Eagle.

Here is the group with just the circle.

Name:  5363B93E-B409-401A-97F8-7D4B2726BFB3.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  38.0 KB

Then a group with just the dot.

Name:  14D20B71-18A2-4D92-956E-A0FE8F40982A.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  37.7 KB

Assuming the POI of my 115 Gold Dot is the same, and I need to check this, it looks like I need 2 or 3 clicks left in windage. Otherwise, nothing jumped out to me in terms of parallex, and this is acceptable for my uses for a slimline pistol.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

My 507K green and 407CO arrived today from Kenzie’s.

I like the green, but quickly noted there is a lot of green in Montana and Alaska, and green might be a better desert color where red a better AK/MT color. I REALLY dig the 8 moa circle on the 407CO and look forward to shooting it.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List