Page 53 of 101 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast

Thread: General Holosun pistol optic thread

Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    Zeroed a 508T on this "Roland Special" today and fired this 10 shot group. Need to tweak the zero a small amount. I think I prefer the 508T to my RMR's. Attachment 73057
    I agree. I am about to put a 508t on my full size 320 which has had an RMR for well over a year.
    www.hero911.org
    Hero911 when seconds save lives.

So about a month into owning and using a 509t I had to replace the battery. I guess I should have just got the ACRO.

I'd say you got a bad one. Mine is also a little off... zero seems to wander. My plan is to wait a bit until the Gen 2 509Ts come out, and then send mine in for repair, fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ski View Post
    So about a month into owning and using a 509t I had to replace the battery. I guess I should have just got the ACRO.

Wanting to get my gen 5 26 cut for a 507. Any recommendations on a company with a fast turnaround time, have a class July 31st
    EMS, Rescue, Fire, fun stuff

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Westtexasrancher View Post
    Wanting to get my gen 5 26 cut for a 507. Any recommendations on a company with a fast turnaround time, have a class July 31st
    Maple Leaf Firearms got my Glock 26 back to me in about 5 weeks. They have a very nice package - for $225, they will cut for an RMR footprint, cut enhanced fwd/rear serrations, and re-nitride for $225 base price. They'll also install aftermarket suppressor height sights that they stock for the price of the sights, no labor fees.

Here's a photo with 3 of my slides that got this package, including a Glock 26. Very, very pleased with their work, the finish is great and the machining is impeccable.

You will have to purchase a separate set of screws from Maple Leaf for the Holosun as they use slightly different heights, but they're only a few bucks.

+1 on Maple Leaf for a G26.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Speaking of Holosuns and slide work, I got these two back yesterday. Unfortunately as mentioned in the Glock photo thread, the 507k on the G48 failed within just 10 minutes of getting it on the slide, so that is going back to California. Hopefully the unit on the 43 does OK.

Comparing them side by side, the Holosuns clearly have better glass and a better feature set than comparable Trijicon products. I can totally see why @GJM likes their Eotech reticle for CCW too, it is very fast to pick up from the draw, and particularly on the little guns I can see how this would really make a difference in tracking the dot during recoil.

So even though so far I have had 2 out of the box failures of the 4 Holosuns I have purchased so far, I ordered a 508t yesterday to go on my other G26 as I am confident that eventually I will get a working unit that will be a better optic than the RMR for the price.

Also for those looking for shops to machine their slides, these two were done by Jagerwerks. I opted to cheap out and get front serrations cut without any extra slide work, but unlike Maple they just milled right through the OEM engraving (as they clearly stated on their website). I was worried it would bother me but it doesn't.

The nitride refinish they did seems a little thinner than Maple's as I've already got a couple scratches on the slides, but their machine work was solid. They have better packages for the single stack Glocks in my opinion, and offer machining services for a wider variety of optics/guns, too. If I were to do it again I would probably send all of my doublestack guns to Maple Leaf and the single stack glocks to Jagerwerks.

If you guys don’t know/follow @AsianJedi (Modern Samurai Project) I’d suggest doing so. He sees A LOT of optics in his classes since that’s really all he does - teach RDS classes. The last time I talked to him (last summer at RDS Instructor class) he really only recommended 2 brands as duty optics - RMR and Holosun. The DPP and ACRO he sees each have their own issues. He’s running a 509/Walther PDP right now (he is part of the Defense Division).

I’m really hoping our new duty pistols come in soon. My 509 belongs on a pistol, not sitting in a desk drawer.

I’m hoping that Vortex gets their MRDS squared away soon. I’ve heard they’re working on it.

I just mounted up a Holosun micro w green circle dot on one of our new 40mm LL launchers. Can’t wait to get that out and get it zeroed.

Name:  12BE5812-B802-4EBD-BC53-07830CD0A08B.jpg
Views: 750
Size:  100.1 KB
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Speaking of Holosuns and slide work, I got these two back yesterday. Unfortunately as mentioned in the Glock photo thread, the 507k on the G48 failed within just 10 minutes of getting it on the slide, so that is going back to California. Hopefully the unit on the 43 does OK.

Comparing them side by side, the Holosuns clearly have better glass and a better feature set than comparable Trijicon products. I can totally see why @GJM likes their Eotech reticle for CCW too, it is very fast to pick up from the draw, and particularly on the little guns I can see how this would really make a difference in tracking the dot during recoil.

So even though so far I have had 2 out of the box failures of the 4 Holosuns I have purchased so far, I ordered a 508t yesterday to go on my other G26 as I am confident that eventually I will get a working unit that will be a better optic than the RMR for the price.

Also for those looking for shops to machine their slides, these two were done by Jagerwerks. I opted to cheap out and get front serrations cut without any extra slide work, but unlike Maple they just milled right through the OEM engraving (as they clearly stated on their website). I was worried it would bother me but it doesn't.

The nitride refinish they did seems a little thinner than Maple's as I've already got a couple scratches on the slides, but their machine work was solid. They have better packages for the single stack Glocks in my opinion, and offer machining services for a wider variety of optics/guns, too. If I were to do it again I would probably send all of my doublestack guns to Maple Leaf and the single stack glocks to Jagerwerks.

What do you mean by "better glass"? I have both ( and have had just about everything) and don't understand that comment. If you mean clearer I will grant you that, but the Trijicon are not clear on purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    What do you mean by "better glass"? I have both ( and have had just about everything) and don't understand that comment. If you mean clearer I will grant you that, but the Trijicon are not clear on purpose.
    I agree. Almost all of the 7 Holosuns I’ve owned have clearer glass than an RMR, but have significantly more distortion. The degree of distortion and fish eye varied pretty heavily across different models and even different units that were the same model.

The only exception is the 507k I have on my 43x. I don’t notice much distortion with it at all and am pretty happy with it so far. Seeing so many reports of them falling makes me nervous, but that gun doesn’t get a lot of use.

I’ve since gotten rid of all of the Holosuns except for the 507k and replaced them with RMRs or Aimpoints.

The reticle options and battery tray just aren’t that big of a deal to me. I prefer to use just the dot so the other options on the Holosuns are just wasted for me. While I’d rather be able to change the battery without removing the optic, having to take the optic off hasn’t been an issue for me since every time I’ve changed the battery on my RMRs they have maintained their zero perfectly. That may not be the case for MOS type guns, but my Jagerwerks and ATEI milled slides haven’t required a single adjustment.

I wouldn’t blame anybody for deciding that those features were advantages for them and choosing Holosun though. I just prefer there less distorted view of the RMR and better build quality so that makes them the best option for me.

User Tag List