Page 33 of 101 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383 ... LastLast

Thread: General Holosun pistol optic thread

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Since this is an optics thread, compressed air from a compressor is ok for optics but don’t use canned air as sold for cleaning keyboards etc.

The canned air get cold when used and can damage optics /lenses.

https://sciencing.com/canned-air-cold-5157676.html
    I really appreciate you telling me this, I genuinely didn't realize this could do any damage. I read the compressed air thing somewhere on this forum and didn't realize it was referencing air from a compressor (which I don't have), so you may have just saved me some money/frustration dealing with a damaged optic.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
    I really appreciate you telling me this, I genuinely didn't realize this could do any damage. I read the compressed air thing somewhere on this forum and didn't realize it was referencing air from a compressor (which I don't have), so you may have just saved me some money/frustration dealing with a damaged optic.
    I believe e this was something I learned from @AsianJedi

It’s a topic of debate on camera and telescope forums.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ssb View Post
    Consider trying the 32MOA circle only reticle. Look at what you want to hit and your eye will center it in the circle.
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I believe that the circle only or circle dot reticle has utility for carry, because the circle helps you in an awkward position or with adverse lighting, like a low sun angle. I do not find a cluttered reticle to be an advantage in pure technical shooting, because it draws your focus to the reticle rather than beyond on the target. Just like obvious iron sights. No different than a dirty windshield on a car or aircraft — you end up focusing on the streaks or bugs and not the aircraft converging with you.
    Thanks. I had tried circle only, and had the same problem, but looking at it more closely, my test target was exceptionally dim, which I think was a big contributor to the problem. Circle only solved the issue in most circumstances, and seems good for fast acquisition while not getting in one's way.

I don't know what I'm talking about, really, but it seems like you could use the circle up close, and zero on the lower hash mark for longer range shots if you needed a more precise aiming point. Is this way off base?

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Why would you prefer a steel solution ?

The potential issue with an all aluminum plate is stripping out if you have steel screws repeatedly in and out of the aluminum plate with an optic like the RMR which had to be dismounted regularly for battery changes.

However, the current C&H plates, while made of aluminum, have steel inserts for the T posts. and the 507k doesn’t have to be dismounted for battery changes so it’s a moot issue.

The C&H aluminum plates are pretty well vetted at this point.
    Good to hear. I am glad that there are steel inserts in the aluminum C&H plate, that sounds like a more robust design than just aluminum by itself.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I believe that the circle only or circle dot reticle has utility for carry, because the circle helps you in an awkward position or with adverse lighting, like a low sun angle. I do not find a cluttered reticle to be an advantage in pure technical shooting, because it draws your focus to the reticle rather than beyond on the target. Just like obvious iron sights. No different than a dirty windshield on a car or aircraft — you end up focusing on the streaks or bugs and not the aircraft converging with you.

An Aimpoint is probably the only pistol optic I would consider used, and hopefully the seller didn’t pawn off a known bad unit on you. Bet Holosun takes care of you.
    Just filled out the RMA form so seems like I'll be sending it back in soon. I mentioned in my initial email that I bought it used and the tech didn't mention it, just sent me boilerplate with a link for the RMA request form. I thought it was kind of funny that they use Google polls for this....

I do like the eotech style reticle a lot in its role in an offset mount on a scoped 16" carbine. I admittedly haven' shot my only handgun with slide mounted dot enough to develop an opinion on how i'd like the reticle on a pistol..

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
    There are a few different ways of avoiding cold issues with canned air that are much cheaper than purchasing a compressor if you don't have a need for one/don't have space for one.

That said a little compressor is one of those things you find a lot of uses for once you have one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bio View Post
    Thanks. I had tried circle only, and had the same problem, but looking at it more closely, my test target was exceptionally dim, which I think was a big contributor to the problem. Circle only solved the issue in most circumstances, and seems good for fast acquisition while not getting in one's way.

I don't know what I'm talking about, really, but it seems like you could use the circle up close, and zero on the lower hash mark for longer range shots if you needed a more precise aiming point. Is this way off base?
    Some of the newer Holosun optics, like the 509T offer a dot or circle dot but not just a circle. If you do something like try to shoot Garcia dots, you will notice a lot of clutter with a circle dot that makes it hard to quickly find the two inch Garcia target as your eyes are drawn to the mass of red. I also find it is harder to accurately call shots with a circle or circle dot, as you don’t have a single dot to see lift. Fine for gross shooting, but not ideal for some technical shooting.

On the holdover, it is less offset than an AR, and I think your brain will learn to subconsciously calculate and immediately apply holdover with a single dot. Relying on the outside ring is slower and gets you reticle focused rather than target focused. That is the same reason I don’t want BUIS on a gaming optic pistol — anytime I am aware of the iron sights I am focusing on the wrong place.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

507C V2 - ajusting shake awake time

I have 3 different Holosuns and they all work fine. I can adjust the shake awake time on the other two, but the 507C no joy; hold "+" for ten seconds plus, but never get into the adjust mode, but no problem doing so on my wife's 407K. As an aside I'm going to swap the 510 on my HD SBR with the 507 on my competition SBR. I like the circle dot, but with the 510 shooting steel challenge the 65 (60?) MOA circle is too good a match to some of the 12" plates.

Hi Risk Customer Services

An Aimpoint is probably the only pistol optic I would consider used, and hopefully the seller didn’t pawn off a known bad unit on you. Bet Holosun takes care of you.
    This post made me go home and clean all the glass on my truck last night.

I switched off the 32MOA circle on my 507C and tried some dry practice with my G34. Headed to the range soon to shoot it that way. I seem to like the less ‘busy’ sight picture. I also will take off the trial front sight to do this eval.

With regard to putting a dot on my (to be milled) G48, are there any negatives to picking a 407K over a 507K, with just the 6MOA dot, if I end up liking to shoot USPSA with just the 2MOA dot, or will I get killed in the street?

User Tag List