Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Safariland's way forward with ALS vs GLS?

Question Safariland's way forward with ALS vs GLS?

I plan to be overhauling my pistol collection this year, and due to the generally great reviews of the ALS system, I hoped to be able to standardize on an ALS belt slide holster for all my handguns. Consistency and all that. But looking at Safariland's website, its not clear which system is going to be Safariland's future.

Their selections seem all over the map. Kind of a crap shoot for gun model and WML support. I would think it would be uneconomical to develop designs for common guns and configurations for both product families.

Is there any indication whether Safariland is going one route or another?

I don’t see anything overtaking the ALS for the Duty holster market. And there’s no other option for pistols w/ WMLs. The GLS won’t work with a WML.

What is the purpose of the holster? If you need true retention because you’re worried about a gun grab then look no further than the ALS. A GLS offers very minimal protection against gun grabs if you ask me.

If you need a holster with retention just so it does not get inadvertently knocked out then I don’t think you can go wrong either way.

I have both.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Site Supporter
    I recently faced this very issue. In the end, I went with GLS. In fairness, My needs were for an OWB holster with some level of retention to be put on a training belt when shooting in an educational setting and/or bad weather.

As I am not a LEO/MIL, a hostile gun grab is a low percentage issue for me such that the extra retention of the ALS given its location and avail. security hood was not driving the train.

I would also note that many agencies running ALS holsters hard, are also installing the aftermarket oversized knob on them for more positive release. I have seen this most recently with the USMS as they have rolled out their new Glock 9mm.

Finally,I found GLS holsters for my Glock 34/35 and 1911 (It is the same model btw.) a bit cheaper than ALS models when I purchased them in the past 8 weeks.

YMMV Greatly.

I’ll stay ALS.

To me the GLS is barely better than a regular molded Kydex holster for a retention standpoint. Someone grabbing for your gun is going to defeat it pretty much automatically.

If I’m not worried about a gun grab I’m also not going to use a mechanical retention holster.

I’ve literally fallen down a flight of stairs and ended up upside down with a molded kydex holster on and no mechanical retention and the gun stayed in place. (It was a rough way to go down into my basement, but stuff happens)

Quote Originally Posted by CouchTater View Post
    I plan to be overhauling my pistol collection this year, and due to the generally great reviews of the ALS system, I hoped to be able to standardize on an ALS belt slide holster for all my handguns. Consistency and all that. But looking at Safariland's website, its not clear which system is going to be Safariland's future.

Their selections seem all over the map. Kind of a crap shoot for gun model and WML support. I would think it would be uneconomical to develop designs for common guns and configurations for both product families.

Apparently Safariland is also confused, because their “holster (no) finder” is one of the worst designed things I have ever used. Recently I searched for a RDS holster for a Glock 17 with a RMR and X300, and the holster finder told me that combination was unavailable. HolsterOps previously was the only way I could find a Safariland product, but since they bought it, they screwed that up too.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Apparently Safariland is also confused, because their “holster (no) finder” is one of the worst designed things I have ever used. Recently I searched for a RDS holster for a Glock 17 with a RMR and X300, and the holster finder told me that combination was unavailable. HolsterOps previously was the only way I could find a Safariland product, but since they bought it, they screwed that up too.
    The best way to find a holster option is to google “Safariland will fit chart”. Go there. Find the appropriate numbers and then google them.

Anything else is a waste of time.

https://www.safariland.com/holsters-...it-charts.html
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    The best way to find a holster option is to google “Safariland will fit chart”. Go there. Find the appropriate numbers and then google them.

Anything else is a waste of time.

https://www.safariland.com/holsters-...it-charts.html
    ^this

I don’t even bother with their useless holster finder.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CouchTater View Post

GLS exists for Safariland to compete in the multi fit market and have a slimmer option for applications like concealment where gun grabs as less of a concern.

The ALS needs a fairly gun specific fit.

1) what is your use for the gun / holster ?

2) are you running weapons Mounted lights ? because there are some good, non-safariland holster options out there that index/secure on the WML instead of the gun itself including the PHLster Flood light and the "not a serpa" omnivore from Black hawk.

I think they both have their uses.
    #RESIST

My use cases don't involve wrassling with suspects/assailants, so I don't need the anti-grab benefits of the ALS. But in an ideal world I'd have a Crimson Trace LaserGuard Pro on almost all of my autopistols.

Applications are home defense, shooting classes and eventually 3-gun, zombie apocalypses, and hiking.

The mechanical retention of the ALS is appealing to me specifically for the scenario vcdgrips mentioned (though in my case, more likely an ass-over-teakettle spill on a trail). I think the GLS system would be fine for that, but not handling WML is a serious downside for the home defense application. OTOH, no basement or stairs to worry about, and in my current abode I don't need to worry about carpet snakes because I have wood floors.

There's probably a simple combination of kydex and GLS holsters that check all the boxes...

User Tag List