Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Central Park Karen is a racist

In any interaction with a stranger there is an element of risk. Paraphrasing William Aprill.

There are 300 million people in America.

Every day*

There are 1 million encounters between people out and about, walking their dog, watching birds, going to work, or shopping.

999,000 of those encounters between people are resolved without incident.

In 1,000 of those encounters between people, angry words are exchanged.

In 1 of these encounters between people, someone has a video camera, and posts the encounter in the "public meltdown" or "road rage" section of YouTube.

And every now and then, one of those encounters between people that is filmed perfectly fits a narrative, and gets extrapolated to somehow be representative of the entire nation.

??

----------------
    * Note - I made up these numbers. And "interactions with police" could be substituted for "encounters between people."

Quote Originally Posted by trailrunner View Post

And every now and then, one of those encounters between people that is filmed perfectly fits a narrative, and gets extrapolated to somehow be representative of the entire nation.
    Not really the “whole nation”. More like “ liberal white bitches with cushy jobs that would profess to be not-racist all day long but when encountering a black guy calling them out on their privilege she plays the race card as a means to get him to leave her alone so she can go back to breaking the rules that don’t apply to her.”

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    That dog was out of control. As previously noted, that’s a sign of a bad owner.
    I saw a dog reflexively freaking out because the handler was holding his forelegs off the ground via the collar (a different sign of a bad owner).

Watch again. The dog was strangling.
    Hain’t we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain’t that a big enough majority in any town?

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Not really the “whole nation”. More like “ liberal white bitches with cushy jobs that would profess to be not-racist all day long but when encountering a black guy calling them out on their privilege she plays the race card as a means to get him to leave her alone so she can go back to breaking the rules that don’t apply to her.”
    This is indeed being extrapolated beyond her to the nation as a whole.

Read the article that LL linked in the first post. Of the many straw men in that article, one of them is that we are a nation of racists. Here are two quotes:

...in a country well-known for allowing fatal police brutality against unarmed, innocent Black people.
    But Amy Cooper is not an anomaly. She is, unfortunately, the norm.
    Exactly because she is not a Trump supporter, this is being used as proof that the entire nation is racist.

Quote Originally Posted by trailrunner View Post
    This is indeed being extrapolated beyond her to the nation as a whole.

Read the article that LL linked in the first post. Of the many straw men in that article, one of them is that we are a nation of racists. Here are two quotes:

Exactly because she is not a Trump supporter, this is being used as proof that the entire nation is racist.
    listen, you wear your tinfoil hat of indignance your way, and I'll wear mine my way.
    Last edited by rob_s; 05-27-2020 at 09:22 AM.

I'm not certain that we are a nation of racists...but we're certainly a nation of (too many) finger pointing, virtue signaling, other shaming, Constitution forgetting, mealy mouthed, pusillanimous bitches.

We opened Pandora's box with ridiculously unchecked "political correctness" and now we're stuck with the monster we let loose among us.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I'm not certain that we are a nation of racists...but we're certainly a nation of (too many) finger pointing, virtue signaling, other shaming, Constitution forgetting, mealy mouthed, pusillanimous bitches.

We opened Pandora's box with ridiculously unchecked "political correctness" and now we're stuck with the monster we let loose among us.
    that goes both ways.

For every person that looks at the video and goes "see, see, the whole country is racist" there's someone else going "see, see, the whole country is mad because one lady is racist". It's all just nutty.

Both sides are running around looking for shit to get worked up about. I guess the big takeaway for me is that life in America is *too* good, since we all have time to worry about two people in NYC that none of us know or ever will, the President had beers with two folks having a local dispute a few years ago and we all watched online, etc. etc. If motherfuckers had real shit to worry about like where to get their next meal and how to pay their rent (and doing those things required them to work not teat-suck) nobody'd be worried about any of this shit.

The month(s) leading up to 9/11 the big news story was shark attacks, despite the fact that shark attacks were down for the year, because the 24-hour news couldn't find anything else bad to talk about. Then shit got real.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    While I feel quite alienated from the modern GOP, and I think Trump is a turd, I would observe that many of the "progressives" I know are some of the nastiest, most socially and emotionally violent people I know.

Also, I wonder if her employer said (off the record) "Holy shit! This is the chance we've been waiting for!"
    I got a big chuckle out of that. Made my day.

Yuge investment company, check. Lots of money to pay out for a settlement, check. Needs to find some reason to terminate without looking like total jerks. Bingo.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    that goes both ways.

For every person that looks at the video and goes "see, see, the whole country is racist" there's someone else going "see, see, the whole country is mad because one lady is racist". It's all just nutty.

Both sides are running around looking for shit to get worked up about. I guess the big takeaway for me is that life in America is *too* good, since we all have time to worry about two people in NYC that none of us know or ever will, the President had beers with two folks having a local dispute a few years ago and we all watched online, etc. etc. If motherfuckers had real shit to worry about like where to get their next meal and how to pay their rent (and doing those things required them to work not teat-suck) nobody'd be worried about any of this shit.

The month(s) leading up to 9/11 the big news story was shark attacks, despite the fact that shark attacks were down for the year, because the 24-hour news couldn't find anything else bad to talk about. Then shit got real.
    The problem is that these things have real consequences in the lives of individuals, corporate and government entities and how we conduct our lives. It's not "just" social media.

Now that woman is receiving death threats. Is that the appropriate response to prejudice and poor decision making, however reprehensible?

The problem is that in the extreme effort (by some) to put things right in the social democratization arena, they've become blind to the fact that they've gone so far to the other extreme that they are now no better than the lynch mob they were purportedly trying to eradicate.

Right and wrong are no longer the measuring sticks...optics, narrative and being seen as being on the right team have supplanted them.

Hooray for us.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List