Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Central Park Karen is a racist

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    That's all you need to know. Point taken.

Whether her employer felt that way or simply decided not to fight the unpopular fight in the media, and take the expedient way out...is up for debate.

I'm not defending her, I'm saying that all the facts matter.
    What are the facts? Will we get those from her attorney when she sues that dude for posting her melt down and causing her to lose her job? No doubt she'll sue her employer.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I know how she handled her dog. She proceeded to approach the guy and drag the dog around after she was triggered and went bat shit crazy.

That right there tells me all I need to know. She's not playing with a full deck. Obviously her employer had the same opinion.

She lost custody of the dog as well. Good.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    I have an extremely cool sister-in-law named Karen. She's been a corporate vice president, later a practicing psychologist, and became a vocalist and semi-professional level rock, blues, & bossa-nova/jazz bassist and bandleader starting in her 40s, learned to tap dance and speak Portuguese after her retirement. Totally low key and easy-going. She's cringing at the term right about now.

And yeah, the article is a bit biased. So is the subject. The fact that her dog seemingly wanted to avoid her speaks volumes.
    Same. I know an extremely cool lady named Karen. I cringe at the term because I feel bad for her. I don't cringe for my friends Carl and Kyle, because their name is usually used in comedy. Karen not so much

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    She lost custody of the dog as well. Good.
    That dog was out of control. As previously noted, that’s a sign of a bad owner.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    What are the facts? Will we get those from her attorney when she sues that dude for posting her melt down and causing her to lose her job?
    Why ask me what the facts are? Gather all the available (existing) evidence...evaluate it and make a determination.

How many different ways could this matter have gone? Could both parties have taken steps to avoid it? Could the gentleman have walked away and reported the matter to the police or park officials? Could she have walked away, especially once she found herself in a "threatening" situation based upon the comments attributed to both parties in the USA Today article?

Facts and evidence have a funny way of showing that oftentimes neither party is entirely wrong, or entirely right. I'm not backing either horse in this race.

Labeling people, white or black is bad. Imagine if the news were calling someone of color by a pejorative term.

When we attempted to right the ship that is the USA, we forgot to turn the wheel to set the course to straight ahead instead of going off course in an equally unacceptable direction.

It's not okay with me. Same rules for everyone. No special rules for anyone.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I think both Coopers made errors in how they handled themselves in this matter. I have no dog in this fight.
    I think we're in for a summer of this, provided people stay cooped up and out of work. Anything not well-secured is going to come loose from its moorings, and folks that normally would have had the good sense to walk away are going to stand there and get in a dumb argument.

While it sure sounds like he said something stupid--"if you're going to do whatever you want, then I'm going to do whatever I want, and you won't like it"--I think that she may have felt threatened but responded with aggression. Christian should have walked away from the crazy lady instead of getting into the NYC equivalent of a "muh rights as an American" fight. And I'm pretty sure that we're not seeing the real Amy Cooper here, but rather, someone that's under some stress and not coping well. Unfortunately for her, the merciless internet exists--whatever happens to one of us, happens to all of us, and none of us is as terrible as all of us.

I have never been one to phone police to report suspicious activity, maybe doing so once or twice in my entire life. At this point, honestly, a black person could be doing absolutely abhorrent criminal acts and I'm not calling police. It's not worth losing my job and showing up on CNN over.

Sure, there's a difference between calling police on a black person for "bbq in a park" versus "raping an unconscious person behind a tree" but there's lots of shades of grey in between and as a white person, if there's any slim percentage the person can call it racism, I'm totally boned now.

So, I say this in all seriousness, I don't care what criminal actions a black person is doing, I'm looking the other way. It's clearly what society wants. I know this sounds like I'm trolling, but I'm not. African American teen snooping around bushes in front of people's houses at night? Not my circus, not my ponies. I'm no George Zimmerman.

Racism does exist, has always existed and will always exist, and in most cases there's a clear distinction between criminal activity and "stupid stuff that annoys Karens" but the pendulum has swung so far in the opposite direction that I can't risk losing my job, having my family be subject to death threats, and being posted on reddit to be doxxed.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise_A View Post
    I think we're in for a summer of this, provided people stay cooped up and out of work. Anything not well-secured is going to come loose from its moorings, and folks that normally would have had the good sense to walk away are going to stand there and get in a dumb argument.

While it sure sounds like he said something stupid--"if you're going to do whatever you want, then I'm going to do whatever I want, and you won't like it"--I think that she may have felt threatened but responded with aggression. Christian should have walked away from the crazy lady instead of getting into the NYC equivalent of a "muh rights as an American" fight. And I'm pretty sure that we're not seeing the real Amy Cooper here, but rather, someone that's under some stress and not coping well. Unfortunately for her, the merciless internet exists--whatever happens to one of us, happens to all of us, and none of us is as terrible as all of us.
    Not to mention overly sensitive dog owner phenomenon.
    The worst situation I ever found myself in was in a confrontation like this.

Why ask me what the facts are? Gather all the available (existing) evidence...evaluate it and make a determination.

How many different ways could this matter have gone? Could both parties have taken steps to avoid it? Could the gentleman have walked away and reported the matter to the police or park officials? Could she have walked away, especially once she found herself in a "threatening" situation based upon the comments attributed to both parties in the USA Today article?

Facts and evidence have a funny way of showing that oftentimes neither party is entirely wrong, or entirely right. I'm not backing either horse in this race.

Labeling people, white or black is bad. Imagine if the news were calling someone of color by a pejorative term.

When we attempted to right the ship that is the USA, we forgot to turn the wheel to set the course to straight ahead instead of going off course in an equally unacceptable direction.

It's not okay with me. Same rules for everyone. No special rules for anyone.
    Unfortunately all we have is the video. She was triggered by that dude and he recorded it.

She'll probably get a nice settlement from her employer for being fired without cause.

And that dude will probably continue to record people in Central park until somebody puts him on life support.

Life goes on.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

While I feel quite alienated from the modern GOP, and I think Trump is a turd, I would observe that many of the "progressives" I know are some of the nastiest, most socially and emotionally violent people I know.

Also, I wonder if her employer said (off the record) "Holy shit! This is the chance we've been waiting for!"
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

User Tag List