Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 3" sp101

Site Supporter
    https://atlanticfirearms.com/ruger-s...police-surplus

Looks like Atlantic Firearms got in some more of these French railway police SP-101s.

I bought one of the SP101 imported from France. My first experience with the 101, the gun is a little heavy and trigger was heavy ,also. I put Wolff main spring in and it helped. I ordered a letter from Ruger and it shows being shipped to a French importer.

Each of the listings for these guns (Centrefire Systems and Atlantic Firearms) states the barrel length as 3.07 inches. Is this a separate SKU for France? Or is the regular barrel just 3.07 inches and they're being sticklers about it?

This

[QUOTE=Dave T;1055332]I'm holding out for a 6-shot. Ruger could give Colt and Kimber, even Taurus, some serious competition with a 3", 6-shot, SP-101 and it wouldn't have to be much bigger than the current offering.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by JWintergreen; 08-10-2021 at 02:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    Each of the listings for these guns (Centrefire Systems and Atlantic Firearms) states the barrel length as 3.07 inches. Is this a separate SKU for France? Or is the regular barrel just 3.07 inches and they're being sticklers about it?
    The “three inch” SP101 barrels have always been three-and-one-eighth inches.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Damn this is tempting....
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    The “three inch” SP101 barrels have always been three-and-one-eighth inches.
    Not to niggle (ok, yes I am), the SP101 Ruger-specified barrel length was 3-1/16" or 3.06". It was back in 1995 when I bought my first sample. The older manuals back to 2002 show the 3-1/16" and 2-1/4" lengths whereas the most recent manual omits barrel length descriptions. I am not sure when the catalog spec changed to 3" other than after 2002.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Not to niggle (ok, yes I am), the SP101 Ruger-specified barrel length was 3-1/16" or 3.06". It was back in 1995 when I bought my first sample. The older manuals back to 2002 show the 3-1/16" and 2-1/4" lengths whereas the most recent manual omits barrel length descriptions. I am not sure when the catalog spec changed to 3" other than after 2002.
    True, it is three-and-one-sixteenth. I should not post before caffeine.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

I have one friend that used to shoot atomic +P+ reloads in his SP101 chambered in 38 spl... a lot of them, never a problem. I guess the pressure was easily in the 357 mag range.

What is the consensus regarding this practice?

Is the metallurgy the same as in the 357 models?

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    I have one friend that used to shoot atomic +P+ reloads in his SP101 chambered in 38 spl... a lot of them, never a problem. I guess the pressure was easily in the 357 mag range.

What is the consensus regarding this practice?

Is the metallurgy the same as in the 357 models?
    Ruger has never stated if there are or are not any differences in metallurgy between the .38 Special and .357 Magnum SP101 models. .38 Special pressures are considerably lower than .357 Magnum's, so Ruger might have saved a few pennies with a different heat treatment/metal spec. As such, no one can really make a definitive statement. It does stand to reason that for the sake of efficiency that both frames and cylinders would be designed and built to run at the same pressures, with only chamber depth, rifling rate, and markings different. Considering the 9x19 SP101 runs at similar pressures with no issues, I would expect the .38 Special model to do just fine. But that is no guarantee, and I would not do so unless I had no other options or choices.

If I was going to launch +P+ .38 Special rounds, I would expect the Ruger to handle them. I would still use something that I know would, such as a .357-marked SP101 or GP100.
    Last edited by farscott; 08-10-2021 at 01:05 PM.

User Tag List