Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 3" sp101

It's been my understanding that Ruger heat treats the 38s and 357s cylinders to the same level. What I would worry about would be over pressure in the 38 case due to compacting the powder charge. A 357 level load of Unique in a 38 case with a heavy jacketed bullet could be disasterous. But 38/44 level loads would be great. Then to separate those loads from 38 J frame Airweights.

I use a nickel case for 38/44 loads and a brass case for standard 38s. Immediate recognition of power levels.

My wife carries a stainless 2.5" Factory DAO SP-101 in .357mag. She prefers to practice with the .38sp +P and is very good with it. Here it is with my stainless 3" Factory DAO GP-100 also in .357mag. It is a repatriated Canadian Mounted Police gun. I got it 10 years ago through CAI. I've done some work on the action, trigger, bead blasted and dehorned it for carry.

Name:  GP100_SP101.jpg
Views: 1129
Size:  47.3 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tex41mag View Post
    My wife carries a stainless 2.5" Factory DAO SP-101 in .357mag. She prefers to practice with the .38sp +P and is very good with it. Here it is with my stainless 3" Factory DAO GP-100 also in .357mag. It is a repatriated Canadian Mounted Police gun. I got it 10 years ago through CAI. I've done some work on the action, trigger, bead blasted and dehorned it for carry.

DAO revolvers with a bobbed/spurless hammer are among the best looking guns out there.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    My wife carries a stainless 2.5" Factory DAO SP-101 in .357mag. She prefers to practice with the .38sp +P and is very good with it.
    I frequently carry the same gun, but with its factory CTC lasergrips. The standard front sight blade was not my bag of chips, so it was replaced first with a tritium Meprolight, then a regular-size 24/7 XS dot; vast improvement, that.

It is not as pocketable as a J-frame, but it can be done. With all the .38 Special loads I have had the cojones to run through it, it is very controllable; with factory wadcutters it is almost absurdly user-friendly. Anything other than a mild .357 load is more entertainment than I care for. Should Ruger ever offer a .38 Special ONLY version of this in DAO with a Novak-style rear sight, it would be the cat's pajamas for duffers like myself. Actually, as I begin to age out, a 2.25" or 3" SP101 with a Novak rear and in the 8-shot .22LR chambering would not be a bad option.

Too bad I will never live to see it.

SP101s remain sort of an underrated "sleeper" among handguns in these parts, what with the average LGS strongly pushing LCRs onto people just getting into CCW.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Site Supporter

Beautiful looking Ruger. What are the grips it's wearing? I've been looking at replacing my Lett compact stocks

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Beautiful looking Ruger. What are the grips it's wearing? I've been looking at replacing my Lett compact stocks

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
    Her grips on the SP101 are from Hogue, mine on my GP100 are no longer made but they are from Uncle Mikes.

Site Supporter
    Centerfire now has these for $399 but w/o the holster.

https://centerfiresystems.com/produc...product_detail

Damned, damned tempting.

Edit:

To anyone who's bought one of these; I'd be real interested to know how the sights are regulated on these particular SP101's.

@JRB

Front sight on mine was filed down and it shoots low.

Filing-down the front sight raises the point of impact. A taller front sight lowers the point of impact.

Heavier-bullet ammo tend to shoot better, to point-of-aim, with fixed-sight SP101 revolvers. Of course, any one individual SP101 could be a law unto itself, and perform otherwise.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    Centerfire now has these for $399 but w/o the holster.

https://centerfiresystems.com/produc...product_detail

Damned, damned tempting.

Edit:

To anyone who's bought one of these; I'd be real interested to know how the sights are regulated on these particular SP101's.
    Very tempting.
    #RESIST

User Tag List