Page 90 of 194 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100140190 ... LastLast

Thread: Minneapolis PD Suspect Dies On Video While Handcuffed. FBI Investigating.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Classic, but a little old school.

The modern equivalent would have a levels with things like being placed on hold only to then speak to CS rep Bob, who sounds strangely like Apu and asks you the same questions time and time again; being forced to watch infomercials; and dealing with the DMV.
    Last edited by ccmdfd; 06-01-2020 at 07:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    There are enough police and NG to stop those riots. They stopped it before in the 60's without the military.
    Then why haven't they done so already? There has been more then enough time to do so. It's been almost a week or so?
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Trump posing w/ a bible and making cringe level statements about the 2A is just a pandering play to his base. Literally the last thing needed right now, but he cannot help himself.

The breitbart fans on twitter sure like it though, which isn't exactly the greatest indication.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Does the middle class not drink and smoke? Do they eschew debt? I dunno, maybe. I think most middle class folks are carrying debt, but perhaps have a better understanding of how to harness it. I have a mortgage and my house payment is significantly cheaper than an equivalent apartment, but it comes with debt. I think it's a bit simplistic to think it's that easy for many folks, especially those of limited intellect. I know that's a taboo topic, but when you stop and think that roughly 1/6th of the US population is rocking an IQ of 85 or less (and that IQ is relatively static) and the number of opportunities available for those folks to make a living is diminishing much more rapidly then it is for the more intellectually gifted and it starts to look like maybe just "work hard" etc. isn't going to work for more and more of the country. Work hard at what? That's why the industrial revolution was such a boon to the modern middle class, lots of jobs of limited complexity that the masses could do as well as complex jobs for the more mentally able. The Information revolution does not have that same distribution.
    In my experience, it's not the lack of hard work, but often a lack at persisting at work that hurts many people and drives them into poverty. Again, they don't show up. They show up late. They disappear. They show up drunk or stoned. They got arrested and can't come to work. They get into stupid dramas with coworkers.

But, to be fair, public school does a horrible job of getting people ready for life, even the good schools. If you come from a bad family background, yeah, you're not going to get taught how to get out in school.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    So the answer to people protesting (or rioting as you call it) someone being killed, is to call out the Army to kill skafs more of them?

When does that invoke the Second Amendment to restore the rights of the People to the First Amendment against a tyrannical government?
    You are right. Send the cops home and let the "protesting" continue.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    There are enough police and NG to stop those riots. They stopped it before in the 60's without the military.
    The National Guard is very much "the military". The National Guard has a unique role in that they report to the Governor in Title 32 status unless Federalized by order of the President. Watch the news and you will note that most of the ARNG E5s and higher are wearing combat patches too.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Classic, but a little old school.

The modern equivalent would have a levels with things like being placed on hold only to then speak to CS rep Bob, who sounds strangely like Apu and asks you the same questions time and time again, being forced to watch infomercials, and dealing with the DMV.
    He is also unable to understand what you are trying to spell.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

I went people-watching at our local, small protest yesterday. They started out during the day adjacent to a high-traffic intersection and after a few hours made their way to the police station for a more focused protest. Everybody was civil, with the exception of three obvious shit-stirrers who walked through yelling "fuck the police" for about two minutes. Our chief of police and sheriff jointly went up to the crowd and spoke with them for a few minutes. No vandalism, no trash left, no obvious problems -- just signs and chanting. In other words, textbook First Amendment thing going on.

There was a heavy police presence, which included both the county and city SWAT teams. Apparently some arson threats had been made. I don't know if that deterred anything, but judging by the crowd I saw, I didn't get the vibe that it was particularly necessary. But maybe the turds stayed away, who knows. Nevertheless, they stood around and watched.

Today, the same group was out but smaller this time. I highly doubt we'll see anything untoward out of them. Meanwhile, the nearby city is expecting things to get a little sporty. Yesterday, that city saw a small amount of violence and a bit of attempted arson, which generated some tear gas and some flash bangs -- as it should have. In another city, the National Guard was requested -- and called for.

I don't know what the answer is nationwide. Is the answer declaring this an insurrection? I kind of doubt that right now. What needs to happen is governors and mayors in some affected areas need to quit trying to dance on the "we're down with social justice guys, we promise" line, realize there are both protesters using their First Amendment rights and violent shitheads intermingled, and take steps to separate the two -- and break the latter. My gut says curfews to take away the violent folks' concealment in the affected areas. And, if and when things continue to get out of hand, yes -- come down on them hard. When there's a riot, the police ought to act accordingly. Whether there's the political will to do so in some places, I doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    Then why haven't they done so already? There has been more then enough time to do so. It's been almost a week or so?
    First I think you have to let the police stand down and many departments have done that. Police commissioners are in charge of the police and they get their orders from the mayor I believe. If the mayor doesn't feel a need then it's on the mayor for not getting the job done. After that fails I believe the governor has to get involved and state resources are used. State police and state troopers are called in. I've seen some of that already. Now the governor has mobilized the NG in some states. Order will be restored with the NG. They'll shoot people to restore order. They shot 9 people in the 67 Detroit riot. When they show up everyone needs to go home unless they like to dodge bullets instead of tear gas canisters.
    Last edited by Borderland; 06-01-2020 at 07:42 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Does the middle class not drink and smoke? Do they eschew debt? I dunno, maybe. I think most middle class folks are carrying debt, but perhaps have a better understanding of how to harness it.

I have a mortgage and my house payment is significantly cheaper than an equivalent apartment, but it comes with debt. I think it's a bit simplistic to think it's that easy for many folks, especially those of limited intellect.

I know that's a taboo topic, but when you stop and think that roughly 1/6th of the US population is rocking an IQ of 85 or less (and that IQ is relatively static) and the number of opportunities available for those folks to make a living is diminishing much more rapidly then it is for the more intellectually gifted and it starts to look like maybe just "work hard" etc. isn't going to work for more and more of the country.

Work hard at what? That's why the industrial revolution was such a boon to the modern middle class, lots of jobs of limited complexity that the masses could do as well as complex jobs for the more mentally able. The Information revolution does not have that same distribution.
    Well said, well said.

User Tag List