Page 51 of 194 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast

Thread: Minneapolis PD Suspect Dies On Video While Handcuffed. FBI Investigating.

'There are anarchists': Minnesota officials say 'outside agitators' are hijacking peaceful protests

"There are detractors. There are white supremacists. There are anarchists," Lt. Gov. Peggy Flanagan said Saturday afternoon.

However, a civil arrest list provided by the public information officer of the St. Paul Police Department shows 12 of the 18 people arrested from Thursday through 6 a.m. Saturday were from Minnesota. Five of them are from St. Paul, three are from Woodbury (part of the Twin Cities metropolitan area), two are from Minneapolis, one is from Mankato and one is from St. Louis Park. Four are from out of state and two did not have cities of residence listed. "

"Leggat, the security consultant, said intelligence reports from his colleagues indicate most of the hard-core protesters in Minneapolis are far-left or anarchists, and that far-right groups have not yet made a significant appearance. He said looting is typically done by locals – usually people with no criminal record who just get caught up in the moment."
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Any known or apparent flaws in the data or methodology here?

If not, should we go so far as to permit data to play any role in our perceptions of the world?

Reports of racially motivated, fatal shootings by police officers have garnered extensive public attention and sparked activism across the nation. New research from Michigan State University and University of Maryland reveals findings that flip many of these reports on their heads—white police officers are not more likely to shoot minorities citizens than non-white officers.

"Until now, there's never been a systematic, nationwide study to determine the characteristics of police involved in fatal officer-involved shootings," said Joseph Cesario, co-author and professor of psychology at MSU. "There are so many examples of people saying that when black citizens are shot by police, it's white officers shooting them. In fact, our findings show no support for the idea that white officers are biased in shooting black citizens."

The findings—published in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, or PNAS - are based on an independent database Cesario and his team created that catalogued each police shooting from 2015. The team—led also by co-author David Johnson from University of Maryland—contacted every police department that had a fatal police shooting to get the race, sex and years of experience for every officer involved in each incident. The team also leveraged data from police shooting databases by The Washington Post and The Guardian.

"We found that the race of the officer doesn't matter when it comes to predicting whether black or white citizens are shot," Cesario said. "If anything, black officers are more likely to shoot black citizens, but this is because black officers are drawn from the same population that they police. So, the more black citizens in a community, the more black police officers there are."
    https://phys.org/news/2019-07-white-...inorities.html

" La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Looks like they're setting up the anvil for the hammer here in MN;

(obtained from Minnesota Department Of Public Safety FB page)

"Alert!!:
    We know concerned community members want to help. The Department of Public Safety is asking all local communities to NOT be in the streets tonight, for any reason.
    •The situation has shifted. The coordinated response tonight will be different.
    •The coordinated National Guard, State Patrol, and Law enforcement presence will triple in size – and it continues to grow.
    •This response is to address a sophisticated network of urban warfare. We expect the individuals involved to use deadly force – both with fires and other weapons.
    •A primary tactic they have used is to locate civilians and use them as both shields from law enforcement and distractions to effective response.
    •YOU MUST STAY IN PLACE.
    •Do not patrol, do not be out walking, do not drive your car unless is it an emergency situation.
    •We cannot have innocent people caught up in the sweep of those inflicting violence and danger on our communities.
    •These people are sophisticated and coordinated and we need to allow our law enforcement to focus response and resources on the legitimate threats attacking our communities.
    •Just because you don’t see the coordinated response – such as National Guard soldiers, know that they are out in the community. DO NOT ASSUME THAT YOU ARE NOT BEING SEEN BY THEM. Our response teams have airborne surveillance. If you are out patrolling the street, our response teams cannot know if you are there to do damage or to protect and will divert resources to find out.
    •If you are out, you are making the response operation more difficult. You are taking resources and attention away from effectively responding to threats.
    •Protecting and keeping watch from safe, non-mobile locations is fine.
    Governor Walz will be holding a press conference at 6:30pm to provide an update on the state’s response to protests and public safety concerns in Minnesota.
    Follow DPS
    Nicole L. Archbold
    Community Affairs Director
    Minnesota Department of Public Safety"

and all highways in the metro area, save part of one 4 lane e-w route, and highway 51/Snelling Ave (busiest stretch of road in the whole state) are closing at 7 PM:

Name:  MNDOT_map.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  52.3 KB

What is left unsaid is how they'll control the many bridges between 7 PM and 8 PM when the mandatory curfew starts. I expect they'll be blocking those approaches with military vehicles.

Re: the narrative shift- yeah, I don't think Hollywood types are going to bail out Proud Boys or Aryan Nation types. Plenty of time to cry bullshit, even if the Gov and MPLS political critters are scrambling to deflect.

And yeah, the Governor's daughter running her yap on Twitter is....dumb? Unfortunate? A boon to the Governor's political opposition?
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Name:  94DB76AC-01F4-4BFC-B1A6-CAEB9DBF7AB8.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  34.0 KB

Name:  AF7C339A-50DD-4BBD-82CB-1FBBE043F1C6.jpg
Views: 541
Size:  35.7 KB

Name:  2359F361-AD1A-4FEF-97D4-01BB3920A5ED.jpeg
Views: 525
Size:  33.4 KB
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    This might be painful for the NPR types who are here....The media should be held responsible for the damage to the cities for the spread and promotion of these riots.

Antifa should be labeled as a terrorist organization and be hunted down and killed or jailed.

Soros is a clear and present danger.

We the tax payers will pay for this fuck-fest and whitey and white privilege will shame all the straw-banners into voting for more social justice expecting a different outcome.

It would have been cheaper to mow 30-50 of these thugs (sorry Billie) down and write the check than pay for what is going on.

The real shit show is when they release the Popo involved.
    There are a number of reasons why the above things cannot be done, most of them are outlined in this document; I suggest you read it and perhaps try to understand why the things you've outlined above cannot be done.

___

Pat, Lon, @andre3k - Any one else who may be headed out there today/tonight - be careful, I wish you luck.

This might be painful for the NPR types who are here....The media should be held responsible for the damage to the cities for the spread and promotion of these riots.
    I'd agree with almost all of what you've written. With my simplistic limited experience mindset - I don't think the media should be held responsible for reporting facts - regardless of what people do with them. I'm not an American - but I am jealous about your constitution - including it's amendments , and I support it. As such I don't think the media should be held responsible for reporting the truth.

HOWEVER - any and all media that has been found fabricating lies or false reporting, or performing other acts outside of reporting the truth (the reporter with his gunfire sound-clip is only one that comes to mind) - should be held accountable for the damage they have contributed to from their acts.

Keep the constitution - while at the same time dealing with the trash. Finding evidence of media reporting falsely shouldn't be too difficult to prove.

Maybe this isn't possible (as mentioned - I have limited education) - but I don't want to see your constitution torn up because of the abuse. Start with one, and the rest of it will get torn up quickly - and I suspect that's what a lot of people behind this would like to see happen.

Antifa should be labeled as a terrorist organization and be hunted down and killed or jailed.

Soros is a clear and present danger.

We the tax payers will pay for this fuck-fest and whitey and white privilege will shame all the straw-banners into voting for more social justice expecting a different outcome.

It would have been cheaper to mow 30-50 of these thugs (sorry Billie) down and write the check than pay for what is going on.

The real shit show is when they release the Popo involved.
    Putin is that you? I don't care what you say. Deep Eddy's is the best vodka!

Site Supporter
    This is an aside, just thinking about the aftermath re: destroyed businesses. Skip if not interested.

I'm a business owner, nothing special, it's just me and some equipment. But it's all I've got, and I've worked hard for it. Trying to replace it would be an uphill battle for sure, if it were possible. I'm going through a divorce that's going to make me basically have to buy half of it again, a second time. But I'll do that, and I won't complain about it, because our society has decided that's what's fair. So who am I to stand up and say it's not? The reality is that any hopes I had for ever being able to retire are now out the window. BUT. I do still have the means to keep body and soul together.

I'm not really smart enough to know the hows and whos, but I do know that if my business were destroyed by rioters, *somebody* would be paying for it. I can understand acts of God and accidental damage, but this is malicious intent directed against people whose only 'crime' was trying to earn a living in a particular area. That sort of thing doesn't square with me. If state gov'ts can afford to force businesses to severely limit or shut down their income streams and idle along while bleeding money, and pay previously employed people to sit on their butts at home, then those same state gov'ts can darned well either protect or rebuild the businesses being destroyed because their localities decided to let civil unrest go unchecked.

I get the arguments for why things have been allowed to go this way, I just hope that the same people who made *that* decision will, in the future, man up and take full responsibility for their decisions' consequences. Buy out the business using last year's property tax values plus a few % if those values are generally lower than actual. OR if the business wants to go back there again, put up another equal-quality store at the city or state's expense. And either way, pay for lost inventory and lost income from the day after the store's destruction until the settlement is reached.

To be clear, I'm not advocating for the same type of thing for coronavirus relief, and yeah, I lost one potentially big contract because of it, lost it because outside contractors were shut out the day I needed to get final measurements. Nobody saw that coming, but it's 'act of God' to me and I haven't taken one gov't penny for it, nor did I get any stimulus check. But this riot stuff? Society hinges on us being able to live together peaceably, and we have hired people to help enforce that. When the peace fails, we all lose. We all know that some elements of society *have* to be controlled or we'll have anarchy. Whoever decides to release control and allow a peaceful society to degenerate is indebted to those whose lives and livelihoods they've destroyed. In my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by -ad- View Post
    Finding evidence of media reporting falsely shouldn't be too difficult to prove.
    My guess is that the difficult part, assuming it is in fact illegal to produce non-satirical news reports which are untrue, which I'm not at all certain of, would be proving intent.

I expect in order to actually get a conviction, you'd likely have to prove that they knew they were lying, in much the same way use of force is judged on a "reasonable man" standard of what a person knew/observed rather than what was factually true. In reality, most of it probably isn't outright lies, but rather carefully produced spin and/or creative editing to show only certain, usually inflammatory, parts of an event.

User Tag List