Page 3 of 194 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Minneapolis PD Suspect Dies On Video While Handcuffed. FBI Investigating.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Well, other than not having roll calls because of the COVIDs...
    Sure, throw that in my face. From this and other discussions, it sounds like your department has squared away GOs.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Very informative for a non-LE as myself. Follow up - could a blood choke for that length of time be fatal?
    What is a "Blood choke"?

If you're talking about collapsing the carotid arteries, performing a lateral vascular neck restraint ... Chuck Haggard is the SME on that ... if applied correctly, it should be effective in seconds, not minutes. If it's effective, you move to cuffing; if it isn't, like before the 30-second mark, either re-position your arm or try something else. That's not at all what was depicted in the video. The officer didn't appear to be doing anything along those lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    What is a "Blood choke"?

If you're talking about collapsing the carotid arteries, performing a lateral vascular neck restraint ... Chuck Haggard is the SME on that ... if applied correctly, it should be effective in seconds, not minutes. If it's effective, you move to cuffing; if it isn't, like before the 30-second mark, either re-position your arm or try something else. That's not at all what was depicted in the video. The officer didn't appear to be doing anything along those lines.
    Yes blood choke is what we called carotid sleeper chokes. Wind chokes on the trachea. I thought the knee in the vid might have put pressure on the carotids. Guess not. Been reading up on the delirium syndrome
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Yes blood choke is what we called carotid sleeper chokes.
    Calling it a choke implies that the airflow is cut off and its a prelude to strangulation. The carotid restraint, LVNR, etc only impacts blood flow. So, it isn't a choke. I get the common use aspect but this is one of those times where words have meaning in police use of force world. Far too many agencies have lost the ability to use the carotid restraint because of drama & flawed perceptions - misuse of language plays a part in that.

Y’all know I’m not a cop, and not in my lane, so to speak. That said, I had a second row seat to watching a long-time career cop with a good work reputation lose both his job AND his freedom over an excited delirium death in custody. Hemmed the guy up big time; biiiiiig news in my neck of the woods. I know his attorney well enough to know that it was a tragedy on all sides, all around; no winners. The officer actually went to prison over excessive force charges not relating to the death, but no doubt things would have looked better if the subject hadn’t of died while in restraints lying on his stomach.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRoland View Post
    As a non-LEO it can be hard to take talk of excited delirium deaths seriously because it mostly seems to come up when police are doing something they probably shouldn’t be doing. It didn’t seem to prevent him from forging checks or whatever he was doing before kneeling on him.
    That's because it's what the media puts in front of you vs what they don't and how that alters your perception. If sumdood gets doped up, runs around naked, then locks himself in his car and dies all by himself it's just reported as an overdose death and the media doesn't report it because nobody gives a shit about overdoses. It's a statistic, not a story, unless his toddler was in the backseat or something. I've had sumdood down and out from fighting the air, or whatever his hallucinations were most likely, when I got there. Get police involvement, though, now it's controversial and sexy. Same as the heart-string-tugging little kid in the backseat. It gets eyeballs so it's news.

For Excited Delirium itself, how it was explained to me: In the same way adrenaline can let you overcome your body's natural resistance to self-injury by overtaxing your muscles (letting you exceed your normal strength but at the cost of damage to your muscles), certain drugs do the same thing. You overtax yourself through exertion to the point your muscles get too tired/damaged to keep going, your diaphragm stops, your heart stops, whatever. Ordinarily we pass out before we can do that much damage to ourselves. The drugs override that.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

This seems like it was avoidable.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    And the underlying crime being investigated was forgery? Jesus.
    What he was being investigated for has absolutely nothing to do with his behavior leading up to being arrested, or the amount of violence he used in resisting. Maybe you're in a sheltered part of the country, but in the cities, it's pretty common for dumbshits to successfully escalate "hey, stop walking in the middle of the street, get on the sidewalk" up to resisting arrest and assault on an officer. They're not high, drunk, or crazy, they're just dumbshits.

BONUS ROUND FOR LE: Why are you walking in the middle of the street?

Spoiler (highlight to read):
    A: Because you want me to walk on the sidewalk, motherfucker!

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    This seems like it was avoidable.
    It very likely was.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by TheRoland View Post
    As a non-LEO it can be hard to take talk of excited delirium deaths seriously because it mostly seems to come up when police are doing something they probably shouldn’t be doing. It didn’t seem to prevent him from forging checks or whatever he was doing before kneeling on him.
    Your comment is utter bullshit, and displays a complete lack of knowledge on this particular subject.

A very real issue with excited delirium is that the person's mental and physical status can change unbelievably fast.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

User Tag List