Page 193 of 194 FirstFirst ... 93143183191192193194 LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,930 of 1937

Thread: Minneapolis PD Suspect Dies On Video While Handcuffed. FBI Investigating.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Man Winter View Post
    Several updates on this case today...

1. Joint trial for all four officers.
    2. Denied change of venue.
    3. Allowing cameras in court room during trial.
    4. Anonymous jury with partial sequestration.
    5. Vacated order removing Hennepin county attorney and three others from prosecution.

https://www.fox9.com/news/judge-orde...e-floyds-death
    Looks like good rulings.

A joint trial for all four is a huge blow to the defense, particularly for the 3 that are only charged with aiding and abetting.

I do not see where they could possibly find a location where media coverage would have had no impact.

Allowing cameras was wise. Whatever verdict results, more people will understand why that verdict was reached.

They are going to have a terrible time selecting jurors, and sequestering the jury will not help with jury selection. It may be necessary to avoid outside influence, but if there is an acquittal, the jury will have paid the highest penalty for what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    That's fine, but when I'm riding on pavement, I keep asking why I'm doing it. The answer is usually to get to the dirt.
    To each their own. Dirt has little appeal to me, and I get enjoyment out of going fast (or at least whatever constitutes "fast" for a 42-year old who has never been a bike racer and is in it for fun and fitness), hence road bikes are the plan for me.

Most of my scornful attitude regarding MTBs and fat bikes has to do with the fact that the majority of people who own them just ride on pavement anyway, and they are absolutely the wrong tool for that. If you're not down with drop bars, they make flat bar road bikes, and if you're actually riding off road/in the snow/whatever, then I have no quarrel with using a MTB or fat bike for that, because then you're using the appropriate tool for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    They are going to have a terrible time selecting jurors, and sequestering the jury will not help with jury selection. It may be necessary to avoid outside influence, but if there is an acquittal, the jury will have paid the highest penalty for what happened.
    I would not call you a liar if you said it would be impossible to find twelve people who could be truly objective on this case. If I got called to be a juror, I would do my absolute best to be objective, but I could never honestly respond "no" to the question "have you formed any opinion on this case before the trial."

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    I would not call you a liar if you said it would be impossible to find twelve people who could be truly objective on this case. If I got called to be a juror, I would do my absolute best to be objective, but I could never honestly respond "no" to the question "have you formed any opinion on this case before the trial."
    The objectivity of the jurors is not what I question. I question how many people are going to be willing and able to completely put their lives on hold - as sequestration would require - for however long this trial takes.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    The objectivity of the jurors is not what I question. I question how many people are going to be willing and able to completely put their lives on hold - as sequestration would require - for however long this trial takes.
    That's a fair point, but I'd be worried about both. Seems like whatever happens, it's going to be a shit show one way or another, and your absolutely right about the jurors paying a price in that way.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    I'm struggling with that decision. It seems like an automatic new trial if they get any convictions and there are appeals.

Really adds to the "railroading" narrative.
    I can't imagine there's a location anywhere in the state where you could find jurors that haven't been influenced by the media in this case. Jury selection would be very interesting to watch on this one.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA

My concern - no matter the verdict - is your definition of "the highest penalty." I was on a jury, years ago, that was high profile for the Mayberry-ish location where I live. When the locals, including some friends, found out I was on the jury after it was over, they were relentless. I can't imagine being on the jury for this trial and have my identity "discovered."
    "We are the domestic pets of a human zoo we call civilization."

Laurence Gonzales - "Deep Survival."

Attorney General Merrick Garland to probe Minneapolis PD.

Man, if the remaining good citizens and LE haven't fled Minneapolis; I feel for them.

https://apnews.com/article/george-fl...95fa1e0271f492

Attorney General Merrick Garland is expected to announce that the Justice Department is opening a sweeping investigation into policing practices in Minneapolis a day after a former officer was convicted in the killing of George Floyd.

Wednesday’s announcement comes after former officer Derek Chauvin was found guilty of murder and manslaughter in Floyd’s death last May, setting off a wave of relief but also sadness across the country. The Black man’s death prompted months of mass protests against policing in the U.S.

The Justice Department is already investigating whether Chauvin and the other officers involved in Floyd’s death violated his civil rights. The investigation being announced Wednesday is known as a “pattern or practice” and will be a more sweeping probe of the entire department and may result in major changes to policing there, a person familiar with the matter told The Associated Press. The person had direct knowledge of the matter but was not authorized to speak publicly about the upcoming announcement, planned for Wednesday morning.

The investigation will examine practices used by police, including the use of force, and whether the department engages in discriminatory practices, according to the person. It will also look into the department’s handling of misconduct allegations among other things, the person said. It’s unclear whether the years under investigation will begin when Floyd died or before.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Attorney General Merrick Garland to probe Minneapolis PD.

Man, if the remaining good citizens and LE haven't fled Minneapolis; I feel for them.

https://apnews.com/article/george-fl...95fa1e0271f492
    Do we need a reminder that Minneapolis has been under Democrat control since at lest the mid 70's? So who's to blame here?
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

The investigation will examine practices used by police, including the use of force, and whether the department engages in discriminatory practices, according to the person. It will also look into the department’s handling of misconduct allegations among other things, the person said. It’s unclear whether the years under investigation will begin when Floyd died or before.
    *muses aloud* “I wonder if the Garland DOJ will dig back far enough to also look at discriminatory hiring and retention practices that lead to wrongful death and record settlements...”
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List