Page 184 of 194 FirstFirst ... 84134174182183184185186 ... LastLast
Results 1,831 to 1,840 of 1937

Thread: Minneapolis PD Suspect Dies On Video While Handcuffed. FBI Investigating.

Quote Originally Posted by tjmitchem View Post
    So, the question: what were Lane's options at that point? Should he have Gibbs!slapped Chauvin? Yelled at him? Called it in?
    I don't know the answer to this. The closest I've come to something similar, (at least that comes immediately to mind), was when I was acting group supervisor for my unit, and following an undercover op we swept up a number of perps in the parking lot of the location where the meet went down. (Including ramming a vehicle to get it to stop before exiting the lot.)

When one of the guys in my group smacked one of the perps already in custody and handcuffed, I put hands on him and rather forcibly pulled him aside and let him know that it wouldn't fly at any time...let alone under my (temporary) watch. There were no lasting hard feelings as I recall. (This is going back some years.) But I was pretty steamed at the time.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Also, I have a question for the LEOs on the forum. Officer Lane apparently said something to Chauvin about rolling Floyd onto his side once they had him cuffed, and he got ignored. So, the question: what were Lane's options at that point? Should he have Gibbs!slapped Chauvin? Yelled at him? Called it in?
    I think that is going to have to be something that is considered in the context of what is transpiring:

In the snippet below you have Lane questioning and Chauvin answering, when Lane questions again Chauvin answers:

Name:  Lane 1.JPG
Views: 661
Size:  31.3 KB

Lane's inexperience is seen earlier in the transcript when he is asking about PCP and nystagmus, so in the back of his mind there may be some niggling feeling that this isn't what to do for an arrested subject, but he's not sure enough to say 'no, we need to put him on his side.'

I'd be willing to bet that if Lane had a little more time on the road he would have said something like 'okay, humor, me, we're going to roll him up on his side, I'll get him.' But at this point he's still operating on woobly new-born police legs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    I think that is going to have to be something that is considered in the context of what is transpiring:

In the snippet below you have Lane questioning and Chauvin answering, when Lane questions again Chauvin answers:

Lane's inexperience is seen earlier in the transcript when he is asking about PCP and nystagmus, so in the back of his mind there may be some niggling feeling that this isn't what to do for an arrested subject, but he's not sure enough to say 'no, we need to put him on his side.'

I'd be willing to bet that if Lane had a little more time on the road he would have said something like 'okay, humor, me, we're going to roll him up on his side, I'll get him.' But at this point he's still operating on woobly new-born police legs.
    Thanks for posting this, as I hadn't seen it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    Can you elaborate? Is a knee-on-back-of-neck an acceptable restraint technique there? (I ask because it appears that it may be elsewhere)
    I don't think the knee across the neck is as much of a big deal as how long his knee was on Floyd's neck. Though I normally try to put my knee across the upper back, between the neck and shoulder blades. The point is to control the upper body and keep the person from moving and getting up.

Also, I have a question for the LEOs on the forum. Officer Lane apparently said something to Chauvin about rolling Floyd onto his side once they had him cuffed, and he got ignored. So, the question: what were Lane's options at that point? Should he have Gibbs!slapped Chauvin? Yelled at him? Called it in?
    I think Lane was brand new when this happened. It would be hard for him to speak up, or if he did, he'd probably be ignored (like what happened).

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post

Lane again asks about rolling him on his side right around the time Floyd lost consciousness. And from this earlier comment about foam around his mouth, it sounds like the onset of Floyd's medical crisis preceded the officers' involvement:

Name:  Screenshot 2020-07-09 at 1.19.19 PM.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  22.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    Lane again asks about rolling him on his side right around the time Floyd lost consciousness. And from this earlier comment about foam around his mouth, it sounds like the onset of Floyd's medical crisis preceded the officers' involvement:

Name:  Screenshot 2020-07-09 at 1.19.19 PM.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  22.6 KB
    When he says 'I was just hooping earlier' did you think he meant playing BBall or the gerbiling without the gerbil thing?

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    What are the appellate courts like? Because if the judge "misinterprets" the law or procedure, his feet should be held to the fire. Or do they exhibit the same proclivities?
    I'm unsure of the appellate court. FYI - the judge handling the case of these officers issued a gag order yesterday.

https://thepostmillennial.com/attorn...uld-be-dropped

The attorney for one of the four fired Minneapolis police officers charged in the George Floyd case argues that charges should be dropped against his client, alleging that Floyd overdosed on fentanyl while resisting arrest and contributed to his own death.
    #RESIST

The article i read about it claimed Floyd said that he could not breathe 6 times before he was put on the ground. I had not heard that before.
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Quote Originally Posted by DC_P View Post
    The article i read about it claimed Floyd said that he could not breathe 6 times before he was put on the ground. I had not heard that before.
    Yes, that came out a few weeks ago when the transcripts of the body cam videos were released. I don't remember if it was 6 times, but he definitely said it.

User Tag List