Page 183 of 194 FirstFirst ... 83133173181182183184185193 ... LastLast
Results 1,821 to 1,830 of 1937

Thread: Minneapolis PD Suspect Dies On Video While Handcuffed. FBI Investigating.

Site Supporter
    good God imagine being a juror on this case...

Site Supporter
    The jury selection will be a horror show. The firestorm about racial composition and the grounds to dismiss jurors, even for pre-emptory grounds will be a mess. The trial will be long and sequestering is a possibility.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    It reads to me like Floyd died from the result of his incoherent uncooperativeness colliding with MPD's bad policy on how to restrain people. I can understand a world where Chauvin winds up with a manslaughter conviction, but I think murder is going to be a tough sell unless there are some salient points which are not publicly available.

ETA: I would not be shocked if MPD ends up having to pay out a big settlement to Floyd's family and being forced to change their policy on how restraint is done.
    Taking all emotion and pre conceived notions out of it, Lane's motion to dismiss provides some contextual background that alters the narratives more than a little bit.

Site Supporter
    https://www.revisor.mn.gov/court_rules/cr/id/26/

A quick scan looks like a def in MN can waive his rt to a jury trial and go bench trial.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Does it have to be a jury trial? Do the local laws allow a judge? Although, I've read that juries and judges give similar verdicts.

The jury selection experts will make a buck, if someone will pay for them.
    Justice is blind however, in Minnesota your odds of drawing an activist judge or even a BLM / DSA / ANTIFA supporting judge are quite high. Not sure I'd roll the dice on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by 36trap View Post
    Justice is blind however, in Minnesota your odds of drawing an activist judge or even a BLM / DSA / ANTIFA supporting judge are quite high. Not sure I'd roll the dice on that one.
    What are the appellate courts like? Because if the judge "misinterprets" the law or procedure, his feet should be held to the fire. Or do they exhibit the same proclivities?
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    It reads to me like Floyd died from the result of his incoherent uncooperativeness colliding with MPD's bad policy on how to restrain people.
    The MPD's policy is just fine. This little fuckup was an extreme example of that policy not being followed.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by tjmitchem View Post
    The MPD's policy is just fine. This little fuckup was an extreme example of that policy not being followed.
    Can you elaborate?
    Is a knee-on-back-of-neck an acceptable restraint technique there? (I ask because it appears that it may be elsewhere)
    What is the MPD’s policy for dealing with suspected Excited Delirium? Does it mention keeping the subject prone in that circumstance?

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    Can you elaborate?
    Is a knee-on-back-of-neck an acceptable restraint technique there? (I ask because it appears that it may be elsewhere)
    What is the MPD’s policy for dealing with suspected Excited Delirium? Does it mention keeping the subject prone in that circumstance?
    My comment was based on prior reporting in this thread which stated that the officers were in fact following policy, at least as they understood it. According to that reporting, there was MPD documentation stating that keeping somebody prone like that was correct. If that reporting was incorrect, then I imagine we'd all like to have a good understanding of what the actual policy is; without that, it's hard to have any kind of intelligent discussion about the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    Can you elaborate?
    The MPD's policies were available, at one point, on their website. They disappeared about 48hrs after this shitshow happened. Assuming I read it correctly, and I'm not guaranteeing that, here's the gist.

There was no mention of knee-on-the-neck at all, either as a "do" or "don't do". There was mention of using the minimum necessary force to get them and keep them immobile so they can be properly restrained. The big one is that it's explicitly stated that the suspect needs to put in the recovery position, or preferably, moved into a sitting position, immediately after they're restrained. The "immediate" part was emphasized. This obviously didn't happen.

Excited Delirium wasn't mentioned at all that I saw. Also, there are more policies specified by the state that all LE organizations are supposed to follow. I haven't looked at those yet.

Also, I have a question for the LEOs on the forum. Officer Lane apparently said something to Chauvin about rolling Floyd onto his side once they had him cuffed, and he got ignored. So, the question: what were Lane's options at that point? Should he have Gibbs!slapped Chauvin? Yelled at him? Called it in?

User Tag List