Page 182 of 194 FirstFirst ... 82132172180181182183184192 ... LastLast
Results 1,811 to 1,820 of 1937

Thread: Minneapolis PD Suspect Dies On Video While Handcuffed. FBI Investigating.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    One non-trivial question is "how do we find a jury for this that we can even pretend is impartial and doesn't have a pre-conceived idea of guilt or innocence."
    Jury selection will be a high stakes poker game. I was dismissed from one fed court jury because I was a vet. Boom, you're otta here. IIRC the charge was aggravated murder.
    Last edited by Borderland; 06-16-2020 at 08:48 AM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Even if one or the other source is of questionable factual or medical evidence, it may very well be sufficient to raise a reasonable doubt as to whether the actions of the officer had any ill intent.

What I'm wondering is whether he can get a fair trial without the state or the judges capitulating to the public hue and cry. Because if the judicial system caves, we have nothing.
    If it does go that way (the court allows exterior interference to dictate process and outcome), defense will have all kinds of running ground for an appeal. While I hold the system ''suspect'' in many cases, especially in these inflammatory times, I do have faith that a reasonable and just outcome will result.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Quote Originally Posted by the Schwartz View Post
    If it does go that way (the court allows exterior interference to dictate process and outcome), defense will have all kinds of running ground for an appeal. While I hold the system ''suspect'' in many cases, especially in these inflammatory times, I do have faith that a reasonable and just outcome will result.
    I hope you're correct. I'm a bit less than sanguine lately...but I'm hoping to be proven wrong.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I hope you're correct. I'm a bit less than sanguine lately...but I'm hoping to be proven wrong.
    Having our respective career perspectives, we both know how wrong things can go during legal proceedings. It's difficult these days to maintain that faith in the system, but it is all that we can do. More often than not, the process works, but I "get" the concern. I am concerned, too, and watching this all with great interest.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

That's a pretty tough read. I can't imagine a sane, sober person responding to officers in the way that Floyd did. Of course that doesn't mean he deserves to be dead, but holy crap did he seem uncooperative and twitchy.

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post

Chauvin: Is he going to jail?

Floyd: Please listen to me

Kueng: He's under arrest right now for forgery

Floyd: Forgery for what? For what?

Lane: Let's take him out and just MRE

In this context, what is MRE?

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    Interesting read. Floyd shouldn't have died for something so trivial, but I also don't see a whole lot of verbalized intent to do him harm. That transcript really humanizes both sides.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Interesting read. Floyd shouldn't have died for something so trivial, but I also don't see a whole lot of verbalized intent to do him harm. That transcript really humanizes both sides.
    It reads to me like Floyd died from the result of his incoherent uncooperativeness colliding with MPD's bad policy on how to restrain people. I can understand a world where Chauvin winds up with a manslaughter conviction, but I think murder is going to be a tough sell unless there are some salient points which are not publicly available.

ETA: I would not be shocked if MPD ends up having to pay out a big settlement to Floyd's family and being forced to change their policy on how restraint is done.

Site Supporter
    Does it have to be a jury trial? Do the local laws allow a judge? Although, I've read that juries and judges give similar verdicts.

The jury selection experts will make a buck, if someone will pay for them.

User Tag List