Page 143 of 194 FirstFirst ... 4393133141142143144145153193 ... LastLast
Results 1,421 to 1,430 of 1937

Thread: Minneapolis PD Suspect Dies On Video While Handcuffed. FBI Investigating.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I know they exist, but I think these people are a diminishing minority. What percentage of our population has military service today vs, say 1950. How many people apply to be police today vs 20 years ago? How many people volunteer in person vs good feels on social media?
    It is a tricky problem, and I don't know the exact numbers. My knee jerk reaction is to point out that we have not needed to use the draft to maintain staffing, the way we did for some of our major earlier conflicts, but I think that misses the point. I think @peterb hit on it a bit, in that basic requirements for participating in a meaningful way in many professional fields are increasing. Hell, when I enlisted, there was cuthroat competition to get certain job slots, and the biggest issue that recruiters had was getting qualified applicants who passed the ASVAB with high enough scores and who did not have some sort of other disqualifying medical or personal issue. The days of being given a choice of jail or Army seem to be well behind us. Not a lot of folks need or want unskilled entry level labor, and the folks who do, frequently pay under the table for it - its where a lot of the jobs in seasonal harvesting and outdoor work that I did growing up went away too when folks switched away from using high schoolers. I can't tell you about Police departments nation wide, but some of the departments where I grew up seemed to have the ability to be pretty choosy in who they hired - I don't know, are the applicants going down, or are standards going up?

The volunteering in person question is a tricky one. I get pretty frustrated with the stupid online "activism," but I have also seen quite a few folks showing up in person at various protests and events, sometimes to the point where they are willing to end up extra spicey at the end of the day. I have no numbers and I can't tell you what ratio are willing to put their money where their mouth is, but it is some.

I could just be constructing myself a narrative so I don't write my country off, but I guess I am a bit of an optimist as well that even if I really don't agree with folks, there is a certain percentage who do want to make a difference (and maybe also looking at the nostalgic look back with a more critical eye). I am more concerned that they are going to decide to make a difference by outlawing beef because cows fart methane and mandate that everyone join together with the global consensus because nation states are bad or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Amazon Prime takes a stand.
    At least Amazon donated some money - https://blog.aboutamazon.com/policy/...ice-and-equity

Which is more than I can say for 99% of the people who put up black squares on the social media profiles on Tuesday.

But it is all virtue signaling to me.

I'm just at the point where I am on full ignore mode for this shit.

Besides, I have a garage to setup and get working in.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    At least Amazon donated some money - https://blog.aboutamazon.com/policy/...ice-and-equity

Which is more than I can say for 99% of the people who put up black squares on the social media profiles on Tuesday.

I'm just at the point where I am on full ignore mode for this shit.

Besides, I have a garage to setup and get working in.
    You are right. I should be Dry Practicing. Reread my copy of BS’s “Practical Pistol (Reloaded)” on the flight home yesterday. I ordered a Comptac open top range holster for the P365XL today. Can’t wait to get back to regular practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    The years I spent in the ER really opened my eyes to how much of society's problems are dumped on the first responder system, which seems to be expected to sweep the pieces under the rug. Particularly re: homelessness/mental health. It was often deeply tragic. A lot of frustration and heartbreak.

I think every American should have to spend a year in HS/college doing weekly ridealongs, candystriping in the ED, volunteering with a shelter or social service-oriented non-profit. It might convince enough people that this is not somebody else's problem.
    You'll be happy to know, Neph, that I volunteered for a few years at a local hospital while in high school. (It's part of the NYU system now.)
    Worked in the ER, ICU, CCU, Pathology, (including autopsies), X-Ray etc. I did a whole lotta stuff I wasn't supposed to, under doctor supervision, and learned a tremendous amount about a lot of things. It was a great experience.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    You'll be happy to know, Neph, that I volunteered for a few years at a local hospital while in high school. (It's part of the NYU system now.)
    Worked in the ER, ICU, CCU, Pathology, (including autopsies), X-Ray etc. I did a whole lotta stuff I wasn't supposed to, under doctor supervision, and learned a tremendous amount about a lot of things. It was a great experience.
    That's awesome. You'd never get that opportunity now. Between the hyper-specialization of hospital jobs and increased medicolegal burden, even as a medical student it's hard to get meaningful hands on training unless you are very assertive about looking for it.

I think the ER is a particularly special place because in the space of about an hour you'll get a glimpse into 20-30 different people's lives, and all the drama entailed. It's probably not going to be end up being what I do with the rest of my career - frankly, I'm better at other stuff, and I fear I would burn out too hard - but it was a life lesson I won't soon forget.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    We've passed virtue signalling and are into virtue posturing.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by WeepingAngel View Post
    Should I wear my Elmo mask?
    Wizard hat at the cleaners?
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I think every American should have to spend a year in HS/college doing weekly ridealongs, candystriping in the ED, volunteering with a shelter or social service-oriented non-profit. It might convince enough people that this is not somebody else's problem.
    I'd be in favor of requiring 1 year of (paid) military or social service as a college entry requirement.

We do a lot of "reality" volunteering. In particular, as a HS senior my daughter spent over 300 hours volunteering in 2 local hospitals, as part of of a Clinical Studies class. In the first 2 weeks she witnessed a natural birth, a cesarean and 2 people being taken off life support and passing. At 16.5 years old. She was always a grounded kid, but the experience certainly helped shape the person she is today.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    I may apply for a job writing commentaries for professionals who need to posture before the world. For high class call girls, I will write confessions exclaiming guilt for not screwing black men. They will feel better as they continue to serve old white men exclusively. For everyone else, I will offer choices of generic confessions, highly customized to fit confessions, and other. The last category will be for obviously stupid people who need to bray on FB. 10 minutes ago I had a phone conversation with a developmentally challenged person who posts on Pistol Play. He has agreed to represent me there for a fee. Business looks good.

Site Supporter
    That requirement is nice virtue signaling but BS. Several million students enroll each year. Where is the money and physical plant to have such a program? This isn't WWII. Many of the entering students have to go part time. Taking them away for a year will disrupt their family finances unless you pay them significant stipends. It will disrupt their family care. You will have to have such a program apply equally to men and women. Women with families?

Folks have fits about Medicare for All and free college - now you want to put folks through another large mandatory program?

Half the country thinks the conservative virtue signaling mantras are BS. Let's teach them all to shoot! Let's teach them
    military tactics! Actually, I think that is good thing for the defense against tyranny.

But YES - get those bone spur commandos in da Army!! NO medical deferments for BS rich kids! Ivankas and Chelseas and Erics and Jareds and Malias - make sure they don't get community service - front line grunts for them. Empty out the prep schools for da Army!

User Tag List