Page 123 of 194 FirstFirst ... 2373113121122123124125133173 ... LastLast
Results 1,221 to 1,230 of 1937

Thread: Minneapolis PD Suspect Dies On Video While Handcuffed. FBI Investigating.

Site Supporter
    To return to my other post on insurance, for folks who want to shoot someone (not here really, but quite a few on the Internetz), if you have some kind of legal, self-defense plan - you might check to see if it covers what actions in a riot. The ACDLN sent out a cautionary email to be really careful in property defense if it does not entail self-defense also. Defending someone else's property as the guys standing in front of the Alamo - not going to be covered.

As far as insurrection, if it is declared and Trump tower got torched - no coverage? That might be a nasty nuance.

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    And that's where discussions break down so quickly into "That's racist!" "I am not!". The word is used mean anything from "white supremacist" to "has an account at a bank that has racist lending policies" to unconscious biases.

It doesn't necessarily mean that there is bad intent. It's often used to mean something like "disproportionally affects people of color."

If you're going to have a productive discussion about race, both parties have to define what they mean when they use the word.
    That will never happen. IMO, the use of the words racist, racism, are two of the most powerful weapons that the left has, anything can be described as racist or as a form of racism, defining its meaning would strip them of those weapons, and, that just isn’t going to happen.. When your goal is to take control of the country, the last thing you want is productive discussion.. “If you tell a lie big enough,and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it” That’s a partial quote from Geobbels..Hitlers propaganda minister.. trouble is, it pretty much applies to the MSM, and both parties of our government.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Fentanyl is a synthetic opiate narcotic used for procedural sedation or pain control and is not known to have either of the effects you describe. Quite the opposite, if anything.

True.

It can cause muscle rigidity though. That certainly doesn't help when you are struggling to breathe. So while it wouldn't have lead to agitation as a side effect in terms of opioid receptors, any muscle rigidity may have contributed to his struggling to breathe and his sensation of breathlessness.

Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    That will never happen. IMO, the use of the words racist, racism, are two of the most powerful weapons that the left has, anything can be described as racist or as a form of racism, defining its meaning would strip them of those weapons, and, that just isn’t going to happen.. When your goal is to take control of the country, the last thing you want is productive discussion.
    I don’t want to take control of the country. I’d like to have conversations with individuals that don’t deteriorate into name-calling.

I don’t want to take control of the country. I’d like to have conversations with individuals that don’t deteriorate into name-calling.
    As would I, but unfortunately, that’s going to be very difficult, the non stop spewing of tripe from the MSM, combined with politicians on either side who will do/say anything for a vote, virtually guarantees nothing meaningful will happen. Change will only happen when people turn off the MSM, and the political parties, and start talking among themselves. Our government needs a serious overhaul, term limits for everyone, would be a good start..Being a Senator, or House Rep was never intended to be a lifetime career..

And that's where discussions break down so quickly into "That's racist!" "I am not!". The word is used mean anything from "white supremacist" to "has an account at a bank that has racist lending policies" to unconscious biases.

It doesn't necessarily mean that there is bad intent. It's often used to mean something like "disproportionally affects people of color."

If you're going to have a productive discussion about race, both parties have to define what they mean when they use the word.
    A system that produces racist results doesn't really require any of the people involved to be racists, IMO.

Folks hate precisely defining terms because it shuts off so many crappy ways people argue their points these days. But I agree, it is vital if we are going to actually fix anything.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Site Supporter
    Fentanyl is a synthetic opiate narcotic used for procedural sedation or pain control and is not known to have either of the effects you describe. Quite the opposite, if anything.
    My experience with speedballing suspects when I was on patrol and in the DWI unit says otherwise. Once mixed with meth, or tradtionally cocaine (meth is more applicable here) all bets are off. IF he was speedballing, which there seems to be some evidence of, there is no real telling of how he will present. It seems to be a real crapshoot with individual physiology being a huge factor.

In Pulp Fiction there was a comment "my bitches can handle their high". Speedballing seems to make that high a very individual thing.

pat

Site Supporter
    ....Change will only happen when people turn off the MSM, and the political parties, and start talking among themselves. Our government needs a serious overhaul, term limits for everyone, would be a good start....
    Term limits, yes. But who to vote them in?

As to the first part, I agree, but that would require people to turn their brains on and think for themselves, and to be willing to *change their minds* about basic beliefs. Not just other people. Us too. Compromise is a dirty word to people on both extremes, "their" extreme and "ours" as well. It's not compromise when the other person is forced to come completely to my side of the understanding. I have to move, too. My ground can't be Holy.

An interesting side note. My originally-typed version of that third-to-last last sentence went like this:

"It's not compromise when the other person is forced to come completely to your side of the understanding."

That's how innate our sense is of how *other* people should change. I knew something was wrong with that sentence, but I had to read it three times before I caught it, and then I added the last two sentences.

I consider myself a moderate; although I unfailingly vote R, I see 'my side' as the lesser of two evils as opposed to a shining beacon of truth. If I can be that much of a hypocrite, so can others.

Site Supporter
    While not necessarily fentanyl, some of the most irrational, aggressive, raging out people I've dealt with are opioid addicts. The effects of it on someone who abuses it for a long time can be different than someone using it as directed or for occasional recreational use.

That will never happen. IMO, the use of the words racist, racism, are two of the most powerful weapons that the left has, anything can be described as racist or as a form of racism, defining its meaning would strip them of those weapons, and, that just isn’t going to happen.. When your goal is to take control of the country, the last thing you want is productive discussion.. “If you tell a lie big enough,and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it” That’s a partial quote from Geobbels..Hitlers propaganda minister.. trouble is, it pretty much applies to the MSM, and both parties of our government.
    Do you really think every person who identifies as "left" has a goal to "take over the country?" Of course, that's how many folks see everyone on the right.

I work from the assumption that most folks who care enough about politics to engage in public debate want their ideas implemented because they think it will result in a better world. With that position in mind, I have a far easier time talking to folks with very different opinions on solving problems than mine, because we can actually talk about facts and issues, not start evaluating our relative evil.

That being said, I am just as scared of totalitarianism as anyone, as my participation in the "Critical Theory" thread in CC shows. But I also think many things seem impossible to change because we buy the idea that people can't have their minds changed. That doesn't happen in a single discussion, or a few discussions. It takes many conversations and a lot of time.

And with that, I'm going to recommend Caleb's YouTube video "a guide to talking to liberals," again. Useful for many issues beyond the 2nd Amendment .
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

User Tag List