Page 137 of 194 FirstFirst ... 3787127135136137138139147187 ... LastLast
Results 1,361 to 1,370 of 1937

Thread: Minneapolis PD Suspect Dies On Video While Handcuffed. FBI Investigating.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    This might be the final push I need to get off Facebook. I like the posts from @Dagga Boy on there, but beyond that it's just not worth it any more. I used to like it to keep in touch with friends that were spread out across the world, but I'm getting to the point that if you're not in my phone, we're not that close and that's okay. I guess I'm just tired of how everyone's an expert on the internet.

I'm in my 30s, so still relatively young. I've never seen attitudes like this towards law enforcement in my adult life, and it scares me that we're going to start getting the police forces that people seem to want. Is this a pendulum swinging that will eventually go back, or is everyone REALLY on their own from here on?
    I just had this conversation with my wife. I am taking a time out. I like to keep up with family and friends but it is becoming too much.
    @Dagga Boy has just been killing it though. His posts are long, well thought out and very well written. He is in his element and deserves a wider platform.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    I just had this conversation with my wife. I am taking a time out. I like to keep up with family and friends but it is becoming too much.
    @Dagga Boy has just been killing it though. His posts are long, well thought out and very well written. He is in his element and deserves a wider platform.

Last night, I finally made the decision to dump Facebook. I only got involved to keep up with my kids and they're smart enough to stay off anymore. Social media should bring us together in an unparalleled way. Instead, it's the biggest social cancer imaginable. I'm done with it.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    It's the 60's all over again. I have a grand daughter that adores hippies and listens to Led Zeppelin. She can recite volumes of information about those 60-70 bands and can play their music on her guitar.

The defunding of the police isn't unlike the defunding of the military during the Vietnam war. There was no commitment by the pentagon to ever leave Vietnam. They just ran out of money when congress slashed the defense budget. The draft also ended in 1973 so that changed a few things for the military also.

Not many people around that remember the 60's but the times were not that much different. It was a cultural revolution on a grand scale. Having lived thru that I'm not terribly worried.
    I was there during the 60's. My opinion is that the hippies were a small fraction of the majority. The man in the street, black, white, and brown did not support their world view. The greatest generation's heroes and heroines were in their 40's. National mindset was law and order. Americans who could were fleeing cities and seeking prosperity in suburbs. They deserted the inner city and its problems. These were men and women raised by parents most of whom were born before 1900. Voting age was 21. Minority voting strength was diluted. Now we are seeing the "Establishment" endorsing ideas that had been heresy.

Never would I have dreamed that so many would be blaming police for stupidity of a handful. Many teachers, preachers, and youth directors have stood in line to fuck children. Believe me when I say that minority children have not fared well in this respect. Where is the outcry for this? Why all of a sudden are leaders standing in line to fuck cops? "Florida Man" is setting public policy. The thought processes scare me.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    I was there during the 60's. My opinion is that the hippies were a small fraction of the majority. The man in the street, black, white, and brown did not support their world view. The greatest generation's heroes and heroines were in their 40's. National mindset was law and order. Americans who could were fleeing cities and seeking prosperity in suburbs. They deserted the inner city and its problems. These were men and women raised by parents most of whom were born before 1900. Voting age was 21. Minority voting strength was diluted. Now we are seeing the "Establishment" endorsing ideas that had been heresy.

Never would I have dreamed that so many would be blaming police for stupidity of a handful. Many teachers, preachers, and youth directors have stood in line to fuck children. Believe me when I say that minority children have not fared well in this respect. Where is the outcry for this? Why all of a sudden are leaders standing in line to fuck cops? "Florida Man" is setting public policy. The thought processes scare me.
    People would rather buy into fairy tales, optics and narrative than face hard truths...hell, any truth, it seems.

Screw Covid masks, a guy could make a killing selling blinders.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    So there's often more factors there. As far as getting stopped more by LE, absolutely true. Because systematic racism or because more blacks live in high crime areas, high crime areas have more cops assigned, and more cops per capita in a given area logically results in more opportunities to be stopped by the police for the same sort of infractions?

How can you simultaneously argue that 'perps get less time for killing them' and 'prison sentences' when the vast majority of black victim cases are also black suspect cases. Does jury sympathy play in? Do folks find it more socially acceptable to kill a drug dealer then a doctor who's house you broke into? Yup, they do. Do plea bargains consider the strength of the case and do how cooperative and sympathetic (as in not criminals engaged in criminal activity at the time) consider that? Yup. I've had juries let whites and blacks go who OBVIOUSLY shot or stabbed somebody illegally but the victim was such a shit bag or was engaged in criminal activity and the jury figured they had it coming.

Not everything that happens to a black person is BECAUSE they are black.
    My thoughts on this are complex enough that I probably never should have brought it up.

Super short form: I view most of the racially disparate outcomes in this country are more the effect of being poor/ living in a poor community rather than folks acting on racist ideas. Black folks live disproportionately in those communities. No surprise that therefore, since more crimes always happen in poor areas v.more affluent ones, more black folks get shot by the cops, more black folks kill people per capita (but they get much harsher sentences for killing whites than blacks, that's probably a more classically racist problem), and so on.

So, "systemic racism" is probably not really the right term. It's more like systemic resource access problems. White folks are much more likely to have family with money to help during bad times than black folks , hence the "fragility" of the black middle class. (But that's getting worse for whites, too)

(ETA: and this is why policing the police (while needed at times) will never fix the actual problems that people are protesting and rooting about--really, people need better economic situations)

But that's just like my opinion, man.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Last night, I finally made the decision to dump Facebook. I only got involved to keep up with my kids and they're smart enough to stay off anymore. Social media should bring us together in an unparalleled way. Instead, it's the biggest social cancer imaginable. I'm done with it.
    I deleted my account 10 years ago. Back then it was because I realized I didn't care what my third cousin was baking for supper and the whole social media thing was a time suck. The idea of keeping up with old friends in far-away areas is nice, but my life is here and my friends are here. Aside from LinkedIn for the business, this forum and one other are the only places I have an online presence. I can't be all things to all people.

It's become so ingrained in modern society, and I truly agree that it's a cancer. People are so naturally tribal, and those echo chambers that are social media reinforce faulty ideals in a way that simply wasn't possible when I was a kid in the 80's into the '90's. There's a quality of fakeness that simply pervades our culture today, with everyone needing to grandstand and die on every hill. The ongoing polarization of our society and the continued rise of extremism sickens me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanye Wyoming View Post
    Am I only one who finds it heartwarming that the white supremacist cops have become so inclusive?

Attachment 55402

https://www.lawofficer.com/2-atlanta...cessive-force/
    According to the ATL media the white officer was the 'leader' of the group and so clearly must had forced them into their actions. The same outlets are also insinuating that the increased charges against Chauvin and the charges filed against the other 3 have directly lead to the reduction in violence/looting/arson in the otherwise peaceful protests.
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    I just read an interview where the author was arguing that one of the problems with modern policing was that the police were being asked to do too much social work. The idea is that that the task of dealing with things like homelessness and drug abuse -- which are fundamentally social issues, not law enforcement issues -- should not fall on the police, because the tools of law enforcement are not appropriate and often lead to more conflict. Your thoughts?
    Note: I am not a patrol officer, nor particularly skilled in policing concepts for the public. I'm a subject matter investigator. So, my views may diverge as I'm essentially an outsider, and I know for a fact that my views diverge with @BehindBlueI's (a patrol sergeant) and the role of police.

With that disclaimer, I agree 100%. There's things that need to be addressed and society is trying to use cops for the wrong things. I think the move towards social workers with guns is counterproductive, as well. Do you want a cop or a social worker? With the exception of threat management units that deal with people making threats towards officials/the public and work to get them set up with help, the movement towards social workers with guns is producing half assed cops that are shitty social workers, which ends up undermining the law enforcement mission and standing of the police department.

I think society is looking at cops to fix all the wrong things, and looking to fix cops in all the wrong ways. At some point we need to realize that the role of police isn't to catch good PR giving out candy to disadvantaged children or making dance-off challenge videos, and no matter how much you do that it's not going to fix the problem that society has with police these days.....because, at some point the police are going to need to police, and society just doesn't like that because society has fucked up, skewed, impossible expectations for police.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TBone550 View Post
    I deleted my account 10 years ago. Back then it was because I realized I didn't care what my third cousin was baking for supper and the whole social media thing was a time suck. The idea of keeping up with old friends in far-away areas is nice, but my life is here and my friends are here. Aside from LinkedIn for the business, this forum and one other are the only places I have an online presence. I can't be all things to all people.

It's become so ingrained in modern society, and I truly agree that it's a cancer. People are so naturally tribal, and those echo chambers that are social media reinforce faulty ideals in a way that simply wasn't possible when I was a kid in the 80's into the '90's. There's a quality of fakeness that simply pervades our culture today, with everyone needing to grandstand and die on every hill. The ongoing polarization of our society and the continued rise of extremism sickens me.
    I feel exhibitionist enough sharing my personal details on this forum.

I feel about FB like I do about open carry: rarely, it's constructive (a 625 on my hip resulted in a 100% reduction in death threats for me as a convenience store clerk) but mostly don't do it.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by DC_P View Post
    According to the ATL media the white officer was the 'leader' of the group and so clearly must had forced them into their actions. The same outlets are also insinuating that the increased charges against Chauvin and the charges filed against the other 3 have directly lead to the reduction in violence/looting/arson in the otherwise peaceful protests.
    To drift a little bit, kudos to the Atlanta mayor through all this. Her words emitted from Orange Man Bad’s mouth and it would have been off to the races with racist fascist Trump.

User Tag List