Page 85 of 194 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795135185 ... LastLast

Thread: Minneapolis PD Suspect Dies On Video While Handcuffed. FBI Investigating.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    That's a good question. I think down the road we'll find out we have a racist cop. That isn't to say that there are a lot of racist cops because I don't believe that. But LE isn't any different than the rest of the population. You're just going to have a bad apple in every box that needs to be culled. They probably failed to cull that one when they had the opportunity and now we have some serious push back.
    A couple of bad apples spoils the barrel:

Fifteen years ago, after the Rodney King beating, the Los Angeles Police Department was in crisis. It was accused of racial insensitivity and ill discipline and violence, and the assumption was that those problems had spread broadly throughout the rank and file.

But when the L.A.P.D. was investigated by a special commission headed by Warren Christopher, a very different picture emerged. Between 1986 and 1990, allegations of excessive force or improper tactics were made against eighteen hundred of the eighty-five hundred officers in the L.A.P.D. The broad middle had scarcely been accused of anything.

Furthermore, more than fourteen hundred officers had only one or two allegations made against them—and bear in mind that these were not proven charges, that they happened in a four-year period, and that allegations of excessive force are an inevitable feature of urban police work.

A hundred and eighty-three officers, however, had four or more complaints against them, forty-four officers had six or more complaints, sixteen had eight or more, and one had sixteen complaints. If you were to graph the troubles of the L.A.P.D., it wouldn’t look like a bell curve. It would look more like a hockey stick. It would follow what statisticians call a “power law” distribution—where all the activity is not in the middle but at one extreme.

The Christopher Commission’s report repeatedly comes back to what it describes as the extreme concentration of problematic officers. One officer had been the subject of thirteen allegations of excessive use of force, five other complaints, twenty-eight “use of force reports” (that is, documented, internal accounts of inappropriate behavior), and one shooting.

The report gives the strong impression that if you fired those forty-four cops the L.A.P.D. would suddenly become a pretty well-functioning police department.

https://housingmatterssc.org/million-dollar-murray/

Quote Originally Posted by TheRoland View Post
    I think a bunch of these looters are not in the demographics you think they are. There's video going around of a youtuber looting in Scottsdale, who pulls in more money in a year than most members of this forum.
    I'm going to go out on a limb and call that guy an outlier. Something tells me there aren't thousands of youtubers making $200k/year running the streets of Brooklyn...

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I'm going to go out on a limb and call that guy an outlier. Something tells me there aren't thousands of youtubers making $200k/year running the streets of Brooklyn...
    ...or West Philly...

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I thank god almost weekly for all the motherfuckers that told me I wouldn't amount to anything.

I also thank god for those, some of them the same people, that told me I COULD.

When popular culture tells entire demographics that it's ok for them not to, and that it's not their fault,and that someone else should pay for it... sorry. fuck that.
    Taxes are going up to help pay for this. I hope everyone is OK with that.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    While some may believe the reason Mr. Floyd is dead is because he is black, I think it is more likely a result of something he did while in police custody that caused the police to do something to him that caused his death. I'd like to know if that was the case, and what it was he did, or perhaps if the police chose to hold him down simply because he was black. If there is an action that I can take or avoid, that would preclude this happening to me, I like to know.
    I'd like to know what justified proning out Mr. Floyd on the asphalt and then kneeling on his neck for eight minutes, while two other cops helped hold him down.

That was, in essence, a murder, done on camera for all the world to see.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Out and about in the Cathedral Hill district of St Paul; dog went to the vet there for a checkup and some annual vaccinations. (He's fine, the very model of a healthy Dachshund.)
    This area is the cream of St Paul architecture & history, and some of the finest city mansions yet built in the US are here. it's also right at the crux of two highways and looks down upon the Capitol Complex.
    Look up Summit Avenue and St Paul Cathedral on Google Maps, and you'll see what I mean.
    For Opsec reasons I won't give streets, addresses or numbers, but there was a large National Guard presence, and they were clearly in charge.
    I saw no SPPD, State Patrol, or Ramsey County Sheriff vehicles or staff at that time. Virtually all of the troops were in full kit including chest plates, excepting NODS gear. Every M4 had optics and a mag, and were front-slung with a hand on the grip.
    The discipline and easy confidence shown told me that these guys were experienced. Not a lot of passers-by, but the NG members were chatting with locals, including a couple holding protest signs.
    Most of the businesses were boarded up. All of the restaurants and service businesses were supposed to be able to open today...

Passing by the Governor's Mansion on Summit Ave on the way home, there was a small contingent of protesters- maybe 10-12. Two of them were African American, the rest Caucasian. One of the palefaces held a sign called for abolishing all police forces. I remarked to the hound that I didn't remember if I was ever that young and naive. I might have been imagining it, but I thought I could hear him snicker like Muttly in the old cartoons.

We are back home now and there are two Blackhawks flying patterns above the neighborhood. I may have to drive several miles north to find a place to buy some beer and bananas. What fool loots a Trader Joe's?
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRoland View Post
    I think a bunch of these looters are not in the demographics you think they are. There's video going around of a youtuber looting in Scottsdale, who pulls in more money in a year than most members of this forum.
    Confused...

So we know who a particular looter was in Scottsdale, and we know his/her annual income?

ETA: okay, so we know who one trespasser was in Scottsdale.
    Copy, a self-aggrandizing You Tubing douche. Doing what those guys do.
    Last edited by GyroF-16; 06-01-2020 at 04:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    Out and about in the Cathedral Hill district of St Paul; dog went to the vet there for a checkup and some annual vaccinations. (He's fine, the very model of a healthy Dachshund.)
    This area is the cream of St Paul architecture & history, and some of the finest city mansions yet built in the US are here. it's also right at the crux of two highways and looks down upon the Capitol Complex.
    Look up Summit Avenue and St Paul Cathedral on Google Maps, and you'll see what I mean.
    For Opsec reasons I won't give streets, addresses or numbers, but there was a large National Guard presence, and they were clearly in charge.
    I saw no SPPD, State Patrol, or Ramsey County Sheriff vehicles or staff at that time. Virtually all of the troops were in full kit including chest plates, excepting NODS gear. Every M4 had optics and a mag, and were front-slung with a hand on the grip.
    The discipline and easy confidence shown told me that these guys were experienced. Not a lot of passers-by, but the NG members were chatting with locals, including a couple holding protest signs.
    Most of the businesses were boarded up. All of the restaurants and service businesses were supposed to be able to open today...

Passing by the Governor's Mansion on Summit Ave on the way home, there was a small contingent of protesters- maybe 10-12. Two of them were African American, the rest Caucasian. One of the palefaces held a sign called for abolishing all police forces. I remarked to the hound that I didn't remember if I was ever that young and naive. I might have been imagining it, but I thought I could hear him snicker like Muttly in the old cartoons.

We are back home now and there are two Blackhawks flying patterns above the neighborhood. I may have to drive several miles north to find a place to buy some beer and bananas. What fool loots a Trader Joe's?
    You didn't go to Costco and buy enough beer to last 2 months when the rona hit? I can understand not buying bananas.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

A different type of Florida Man response:

https://twitter.com/@twitter/status/1267539936401592320
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

As I posted in another thread, there's some poor people that wouldn't accept an opportunity if it came knocking on their door wearing a spangled robe and singing the opportunity robe. Some people wouldn't turn up to a job doing inventory for a paraplegic liquor store owner. Work with some people a while, and it becomes apparent a lot of poverty is self-inflicted.

Give them a job, and they stop coming. If they do come, they drag and slack and wander off and ask to go home early, and make it so everyone else has to work harder to make up for what they're not doing. Given them a house or car, and they trash it. Give them money for rent and food, and it's blown on cigs, booze, and dope. It gets frustrating to put time into helping someone, only for them to trash it, and then demand a replacement.

People tend to abuse free stuff- the difference between personally owned firearms and department/ military arms comes to mine.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

User Tag List