Page 65 of 194 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775115165 ... LastLast

Thread: Minneapolis PD Suspect Dies On Video While Handcuffed. FBI Investigating.

Quote Originally Posted by ford.304 View Post
    So I get "complying with lawful orders" and all that, but that's going to be a hard sell to a lot of people when all she's doing is standing on her porch 50 ft away with her phone. I pretty much can't imagine most people thinking that will mean "or we're going to light you up" for not obeying orders but also not posing a threat.

That middle ground of "not doing what the police said quickly enough" seems to be where a ton of the disagreement about appropriate use of force comes in.
    It seems like an over-reaction, but at the risk of being labeled a “bootlicker” by The Social Media, the curfew was in effect and widely communicated by the time these guys came down the street. If you want to help the police protect people from being victimized by rioters, a curfew gives you easy instructions: Stay Inside.

I love the taste of shoe leather in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I counted no less than 10 times of being told to go inside.

I guess during a city with riots, go inside might mean go the fuck inside.
    I can't disagree strongly enough.

Text of the curfew order: https://mn.gov/governor/assets/EO%20...055-434218.pdf

FAQ explaining the curfew as of 5am this morning: https://web.archive.org/web/20200531...Pages/faq.aspx

Key portion highlighted:
    "Can I be outside my house (on my property) after 8 p.m. and before 6 a.m.?
    Yes.

Can I have a backyard fire?
    Yes
    ."

Note that they have now changed the FAQ to this - they know they were in the wrong: https://dps.mn.gov/macc/Pages/faq.aspx

Yes. You can be on your porch, yard, patio, etc., but if a law enforcement officer or other public safety official asks you to go inside, or take any other action, you must follow the instruction.
    "

It's really hard to find a justification for rolling through a residential neighborhood shooting pepper balls at folks on their own porches after they were explicitly told that they could do just that. That is the kind of attitude and actions that can drive a pretty damn solid wedge in between a community and a police force.

Quote Originally Posted by JDD View Post
    The police were enforcing the curfew in accordance with the text you provided, which included both public and private property with general access to the public, including but not limited to xxx. The definition of a porch is literally private property that the general public has access to, hence its classification as curtilage.

Given that, the FAQ was obviously amended because the FAQ was erroneous.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by JDD View Post

Text of the curfew order: https://mn.gov/governor/assets/EO%20...055-434218.pdf

FAQ explaining the curfew as of 5am this morning: https://web.archive.org/web/20200531...Pages/faq.aspx

Key portion highlighted:
    Yes.

Can I have a backyard fire?
    Yes
    ."

Note that they have now changed the FAQ to this - they know they were in the wrong: https://dps.mn.gov/macc/Pages/faq.aspx

Yes. You can be on your porch, yard, patio, etc., but if a law enforcement officer or other public safety official asks you to go inside, or take any other action, you must follow the instruction.
    "

It's really hard to find a justification for rolling through a residential neighborhood shooting pepper balls at folks on their own porches after they were explicitly told that they could do just that. That is the kind of attitude and actions that can drive a pretty damn solid wedge in between a community and a police force.
    Cannot disagree.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Portland just had a 2nd night of riots despite a curfew. The curfew was not broadly or strongly enforced. Could that be why the destruction and violence continued?
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I'm with @JDD and @Lon on this one @TGS...fwiw.

Had there been exigent circumstances, I'd be completely on board. But apparently they didn't like having their "authoritah" disrespected.

There's nothing civil about this war.

After I spent some time working on the FJ we hopped in and took a little cruise towards downtown, just to see what we saw. We just got to the South Loop area when things started getting a little sporty, heavier presence of both police and protesters, lots of shouting at the cops who were standing, just observing. On the way back we saw more of that, lots of people screaming at the cops. We got caught in a little traffic jam, with about 20-30 cops in riot helmets, near Guaranteed Rate Field (White Sox)

I kinda of wish I'd had a couple of cases of water. I wanted to stop and hand water to the cops AND the people driving by screaming at them. That's just my idealistic nature showing through thinking that the symbolism of giving water to all might cause people to think, "Yea, we can support each other even if we disagree." - Not that I think many cops disagree that the death of Floyd was senseless and quite potentially unnecessary. We all agree, that it was wrong to keep him in that position, even if we question whether or not it exacerbated the problems leading to his death.

We cruised by where some looting occurred here in the neighborhood about a block and a half away. They hit the locally (black owned) liquor store, the drug store, the Xfinity store, the Target, and a community owned grocery store. Windows were boarded up and lots of signs on windows noting that business are community/black/minority owned aka, "Please don't target us."

Traffic started getting heavy and a lot of folks had decided that traffic laws were suspended. We were passed by several Code 3 CPD unmarked units, that were subsequently pursued by private individuals (presumably) in personal vehicles. With that last little bit, we decided it was definitely time to head home and call it a day. It's clearly going to get sporting out there on the streets again this evening. We're safe and secure we'll walk our dog about 7:30-7:45 for the last time this evening (well in advance of our 9pm curfew) and then hole up.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I'm with @JDD and @Lon on this one @TGS...fwiw.

Had there been exigent circumstances, I'd be completely on board. But apparently they didn't like having their "authoritah" disrespected.
    So, I’m thinking this is one of those situations where LE “can” use a certain level of force.
    But also where more consideration could have been given as to whether they “should”.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    But apparently they didn't like having their "authoritah" disrespected.
    I think that's precisely the point, actually. This isn't a situation of self-defense. This is the state imposing its will to establish the rule of law, no questions asked. This is about mercilessly setting and enforcing the boundaries.

Whether you think it's worthwhile, will drive a wedge in the community, etc is a different conversation. ETA: ...and not one I would really disagree with, but going to every person violating orders under the EO and having a heart-to-heart and hugging it out is obviously not the goal here like it is in Flint, Camden, or other places where people were orderly. Making people respect the rule of law is the goal. That's going to hurt, and its not going to be pretty.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I think that's precisely the point, actually. This isn't a situation of self-defense. This is the state imposing its will to establish the rule of law, no questions asked. This is about mercilessly setting and enforcing the boundaries.

Whether you think it's worthwhile, will drive a wedge in the community, etc is a different conversation.
    The ACLU threatened to sue the City of Chicago and the mayor last night.

"The Chicago Mayor cannot unilaterally create a curfew across the entire city!"

My wife started cracking the fuck up, "Someone didn't tell the ACLU that a state of emergency has been declared in Illinois since March, did they?"

She's got a valid point.

User Tag List