Page 70 of 194 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280120170 ... LastLast

Thread: Minneapolis PD Suspect Dies On Video While Handcuffed. FBI Investigating.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    He did an awfully bad job at running down protestors since he swerved from one and stopped, not hitting anyone.
    Would your reaction be the same if someone pulled that stunt toward a line of cops?

Quote Originally Posted by Jac View Post
    Would your reaction be the same if someone pulled that stunt toward a line of cops?
    Probably would have been shot.

I'm just not sure if he was trying to run them down. Usually people trying to run down other people, like the dude in Charlottesville, don't lay on their horn, threshold brake and swerve to avoid other people.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    He did an awfully bad job at running down protestors since he swerved from one and stopped, not hitting anyone.
    The local news are assiduously avoiding showing the cell-phone video parts of him being dragged out of the stopped truck and beaten by a huge crowd.

He's the only one in the hospital over this, and it's unclear if it was rank stupidity, accident, or actual malice.
    The news folks are making it all about the truck driver wantonly endangering women and children (!) illegally blocking 8 lanes of a major interstate freeway that was going to be closed to all traffic within an hour, anyway.
    I want to kick the heads off the shoulders of half the media right about now.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jac View Post
    Your premise is flawed. I have no sympathy for criminals blocking highways. Those blocking the highway are the ones “pulling a stunt.”

The driver was dragged out of the vehicle beaten and is currently in the hospital. If you want to see what a commercial truck can do to a crowd of pedestrians by someone actually trying to run people down take a look at what happened in France a couple years ago.

I’ll be honest, I’m tired of the people sitting home in safety spouting this we should be nice to assholes bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I haven't seen a lot of cops running for office. Without people putting themselves out there, as candidates, then the elected officials that you get are the one that you can choose. If none of them were cops, that's how it goes.

I expect a lot of what you have raised, the training, etc., will all be fleshed out in the upcoming civil litigation. Unless the city settles to avoid having those subjects aired out (among other reasons).
    Al Lamberti ran for Sherriff in Broward county. Unfortunately, he is a certified LEO, republican, and well liked by the other deputies.

He didn’t stand a snowballs chance in hell of getting elected in SE Florida.

Well, a group of protesters just marched down my street. Thankfully, besides being loud, they were otherwise peaceful. But about 4-blocks away they are looting stores. Suffice it to say, the wife and I just ran through a quick refresher on the firearms in the house, safeties, spare ammo, etc. I staged up some gear as well.

Hopefully none of it will be necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanye Wyoming View Post
    Any known or apparent flaws in the data or methodology here?

If not, should we go so far as to permit data to play any role in our perceptions of the world?

https://phys.org/news/2019-07-white-...inorities.html
    There are some critical responses to the research on the National Academy of Sciences site where it was presented, but I’m not a knowledgeable person about these things.

http://www.pnas.org/content/116/32/15877

Previous discussion here awhile back: http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...cesario+police

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    The local news are assiduously avoiding showing the cell-phone video parts of him being dragged out of the stopped truck and beaten by a huge crowd.

He's the only one in the hospital over this, and it's unclear if it was rank stupidity, accident, or actual malice.
    The news folks are making it all about the truck driver wantonly endangering women and children (!) illegally blocking 8 lanes of a major interstate freeway that was going to be closed to all traffic within an hour, anyway.
    I want to kick the heads off the shoulders of half the media right about now.
    There was a little bit of live news coverage when it happened. There was obviously a fight/beating going on, but it was unclear who was at the center. It appeared that some of the crowd was trying to intervene, albeit not successfully. Then 3-4 squad cars rolled up on the other side of the highway. I have not seen that footage replayed.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    https://www.psypost.org/2020/05/new-...tdjBslWF50xpcs

New psychology research finds extreme protest actions reduce popular support for social movements

New research indicates that extreme protest tactics tend to undermine a movement’s popular support in the United States by alienating both neutral observers and supporters. The findings have been published in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology.

“I’m interested in social change and progress, and was curious what social movement strategies might be most effective at influencing popular opinion,” said Matthew Feinberg, the corresponding author of the new study and an assistant professor of organizational behavior at the University of Toronto.

The researchers conducted six experiments with 3,399 participants in total, in which they assessed how different types of protest behaviors influenced support for a variety of progressive and conservative social causes, including the Black Lives Matter movement and the anti-abortion movement. They found that more extreme behaviors — such as the use of inflammatory rhetoric, blocking traffic, and vandalism — consistently resulted in reduced support for social movements.

This was true even when participants were already politically or socially sympathetic to the social movement. “We found extreme anti-Trump protest actions actually led people to not only dislike the movement and support the cause less, but to be willing to support Trump more,” Feinberg said. “It was almost like a backlash.”

The researchers also found evidence that extreme protest actions led to a loss of support because they were viewed as immoral. These perceptions of immorality were associated with reduced feelings of emotional connection and less social identification with the movement.
    We are seeing this play out locally. A suspect tagged the Alamo Cenotaph a day prior to a protest yesterday. The protest was peaceful until it got dark but then went sideways and turned into a riot at Alamo plaza. Local reaction has been negative and there was a spontaneous movement of volunteers down town today helping to clean up. Some of this is that most Texans, regardless of politics hold the Alamo sacred, but the research above is a big part of it.
    Last edited by HCM; 05-31-2020 at 07:59 PM.

It has been suggested that the late 60's unrest and rioting helped elect Nixon in '68.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

User Tag List