Page 25 of 194 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575125 ... LastLast

Thread: Minneapolis PD Suspect Dies On Video While Handcuffed. FBI Investigating.

Site Supporter
    Where is the National Guard?

Site Supporter
    Local TV news reporter caught adding fake gunshots to report. This is my not shocked face...

Site Supporter
    Name:  E90E9D10-198A-49BF-B2C4-004868F792AF.jpg
Views: 663
Size:  38.7 KB

No action on my security cameras overnight, which is relieving. My wife and I were kind of nervous going to bed last night, and I don't think either of us slept well, loaded guns in easy reach for both of us notwithstanding. There was apparently some significant activity at a mall within only a few miles of us last night.

Edit: @HCM, that Spongebob meme is...um...well, let's just say it's both kind of horrible and also made me laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    No action on my security cameras overnight, which is relieving. My wife and I were kind of nervous going to bed last night, and I don't think either of us slept well, loaded guns in easy reach for both of us notwithstanding. There was apparently some significant activity at a mall within only a few miles of us last night.

Edit: @HCM, that Spongebob meme is...um...well, let's just say it's both kind of horrible and also made me laugh.
    Sounds like all PFers are ok at this point. Excellent. Stay safe.

Well Columbus took a big hit last night. Looting, burning and they tried to break into the state house. Made it through the outer set of the doors and then were confronted by state troopers coming from the inside and they took off. Trashed downtown Columbus pretty bad.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    My daughter & son-in-law went to go check on some of the buildings his employer owns close by. I cannot show the pictures, but I can confirm that there are "Roof-top Koreans" protecting their businesses.
    Quote Originally Posted by helothar View Post
    You getting a lot of smoke where you're at? I'm closer to the north end and I just got a whiff of it standing outside

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    You guys ok?

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    Peaceful protests work fine for little stuff, but not for systemic changes. Tibet is going on what, 60 years of peaceful protest?
    Did I wake up in Tibet? You could affect systematic change here by getting everybody who doesn't vote to vote for your candidate.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Where is the National Guard?
    What, exactly, do you think the NG will do?
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    AED is like 4x more effective.
    Depends on the etiology of the arrest. AED will do you no good if they are in PEA - won't even fire. Even then, ultimately good quality chest compressions are the only thing that will send blood from their heart to their brain, which is what is actively dying every second that it does not get life-sustaining, freshly oxygenated blood from the heart.

In field cardiac arrests are hard because time is brain, if the patient has an unwitnessed cardiac arrest with an unknown amount of down time, odds aren't great. If they arrest and immediately get high quality CPR, and the etiology of their arrest can be treated (i.e. hypothermia, hyperkalemic arrest in a ESRD patient), they have much better odds. Always worth giving it your best good faith effort in the field.

Trauma arrests (GSW, high mech MVC/blunt injury) dont do so hot.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    I did CPR on an ICU patient during my EMT training rotation at a small ER back in the day. Scared out my skull and I hope to never do anything like that again. I am not a very good EMT.

From my limited experience and less limited training/reading - if the heart stopping/getting jacked up is from Trauma CPR is close to useless.
    Yeah per above. Trauma arrests are bad news. That said it depends on the etiology of arrest and how fast they get to a good trauma surgeon. Penetrating trauma arrests (i.e. GSW) tend to do better at our institution (~10-15% survive to d/c) - we have good trauma surgeons and mostly if they are in tamponade or limited injury to myocardium/GVs then its a problem that can be addressed surgically.

If you get your chest run over by a city bus and you're bleeding from basically every solid organ between your neck and your pelvis, then no, CPR is not going to help you at all.

The worst thing about chest compressions besides the rib crunching is how sweaty I get. I always end up sweating on the patient which I find kind of gross for reasons that are hard to articulate.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post

What, exactly, do you think the NG will do?
    Obviously I'm not law enforcement, and this is only from my personal .civ Florida post-Hurricane context, the NG can:

- Provide a physical uniformed presence in the streets (augmenting the physical uniformed presence normally provided by LEO)

This might be nothing more than a couple Guardsman standing next to a Humvee. But as a citizen, it does provide a sense of "order". This may or may not be imaginary, but it does help me feel better knowing "someone" is out there "in authority".

- Assist leo in providing additional vehicles, transport services, electronic/communication

Additional vehicles could offer transport to local leo teams, if local leo team's squad got burned up or wrecked in violence. Communications/radios same; a NG team could offer to set up additional radio nets.

- Assist leo and first responders by making available trained medical personnel

Medical staff attached to NG units could support local medical personnel dealing with emergencies brought by crowd violence.

- Obviously if things go really south, protection of life and limb from armed and dangerous looting crowds, NG have significant weaponry availble; but I am (very) far out of my lane here in terms of discussing the pros and cons of armed use of force by Military personnel on US soil against US citizens. I have a feeling that's a whole different can of worms.

Just my 0.02. Obviously we have a fair number of actual LEO here and I would welcome their (and your) viewpoint. I would have hoped that local emergency services would have had a think on this well in advance, and have a game plan in place to execute. But from the shitshow we've seen on the news so far, maybe that's not the case.

User Tag List