Page 142 of 194 FirstFirst ... 4292132140141142143144152192 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,420 of 1937

Thread: Minneapolis PD Suspect Dies On Video While Handcuffed. FBI Investigating.

Quote Originally Posted by WeepingAngel View Post
    Should I wear my Elmo mask?
    Only if you can manage to fire off a high-pitched "Ah haha heehee oh wow, that tickles"

Quote Originally Posted by JDD View Post
    Where we are failing, is that we are not providing enough opportunities for folks to get engaged in a productive way and that starts at the high school level. A lot of things are not economically viable because unless you have parents that can pay to support you, you can't volunteer, or take that unpaid internship, or do the whatever thing, because you have to try to offset the crippling student loans that are accompanying even an in-state and community college based education.

I don't want to get into a finger pointing discussion, but I think some of the doom and gloom about civic responsibility is a response to a number of folks in key positions who clearly DGAF about pretty much anything but their own comfort - but the pushback and engagement is impressive. I just kinda wish that folks would understand that engagement starts with voting.
    Where I live the small volunteer fire/EMS services are having increasing difficulty finding recruits. Social change and a loss of community spirit is certainly a factor, but so are the increasingly difficult requirements to become licensed/certified. Everyone wants better trained first responders, but when you add all the training hours and call hours to a full-time job and family, something's going to give.

We had some luck by educating folks that you didn't have to be an interior firefighter to make a useful contribution to the department -- there's a lot someone can do to help that doesn't require going into burning buildings.

Due to safety and liability concerns, volunteer positions of all kinds require training that wasn't required a couple of decades ago. It's not a huge barrier but may be enough to discourage some folks.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Yeah, I've heard of pacing. Was the guy pulled over for 3 over in a pack paced? That's be pacing level: expert.

I've also heard of tint and that it's quite a bit harder to see into a lot of modern cars vs the box-mobiles of days gone by. I seldom know the race of people I stop before I stop them. The exception would be watching for illegal turns at an intersection when I can see through the windshield during the day, something I haven't done for 8-9 years.
    You've beat me down and won..

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    It is a discussion forum, after all.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    @RJ

Spotify made sure to fill a couple of my weekly music lists with some feel good virtue signaling music.

I feel like I scrubbed a few years off purgatory...by golly.
    Yep.

It made me feel like, hey, so if I watch these shows, and post on FB that I did so, y’all leave my business alone, right?

A few things about where we seem to be headed.

Urban renewal aka buying a loft in an emerging redevelopment district inna hood will disappear. Condo buyers and apartment seekers will increasingly favor gated, or at least drive-in walled complexes. Strong fencing, 24/7 guard services, e-gates and off street garage parking will command a premium.

Higher end shops and services will migrate to similar controlled entry, vetting clients prior to allowing on the premises. Same private security concept will be used. Armed guards will start to appear at stores like Target and WalMart.

Sales market for otherwise unremarkable vehicles with crowd- or riot-deterrence measures, including large 4WDs, will increase.

Corporate business will give lip service to the optics of ‘end systemic racism Now!’ but follow the money, and slow roll rebuilding looted stores and inventory until they can rewicker their security protocols to deal will 300 ‘protestors’ rolling up on stores with skateboards and wheelbarrows. See above.

Guns and ammo will get scarcer. Private security rates will go up.

I’m honestly not optimistic things are going to get better, for a long while, and I’m an optimistic person.

Sigh.
    Last edited by RJ; 06-05-2020 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Tai Poh

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Cool. Let's move on. Are officers more or less hesitant to use force on blacks today due to attention from the brass, media, and public.

Guess which in custody deaths get more media.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Yep.

It made me feel like, hey, so if I watch these shows, and post on FB that I did so, y’all leave my business alone, right?

A few things about where we seem to be headed.

Urban renewal aka buying a loft in an emerging redevelopment district inna hood will disappear. Condo buyers and apartment seekers will increasingly favor gated, or at least drive-in walled complexes. Strong fencing, 24/7 guard services, e-gates and off street garage parking will command a premium.

Higher end shops and services will migrate to similar controlled entry, vetting clients prior to allowing on the premises. Same private security concept will be used. Armed guards will start to appear at stores like Target and WalMart.

Sales market for otherwise unremarkable vehicles with crowd- or riot-deterrence measures, including large 4WDs, will increase.

Corporate business will give lip service to the optics of ‘end systemic racism Now!’ but follow the money, and slow roll rebuilding looted stores and inventory until they can rewicker their security protocols to deal will 300 ‘protestors’ rolling up on stores with skateboards and wheelbarrows. See above.

Guns and ammo will get scarcer. Private security rates will go up.

I’m honestly not optimistic things are gong to get better, for a long while, and I’m an optimistic person.

Sigh.
    Rich, I dunno. Things have a way of surprising us...at least some of the time.

For starters, I'd be happy just not having someone else's version of what's true, right and factual rammed down my throat. Especially the media's version and that of those who have hopped on the virtue train. I feel like I've proven the ability to think critically over these past several decades.

I'm all for dialog...but not having the truth shouted into me.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Français View Post
    It is a discussion forum, after all.
    I agree. Perfectly willing to discuss things. Know when it is no longer productive.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post

I think every American should have to spend a year in HS/college doing weekly ridealongs, candystriping in the ED, volunteering with a shelter or social service-oriented non-profit. It might convince enough people that this is not somebody else's problem.
    Comming from a former case manager in a homeless shelter I could not agree more with this statement.

User Tag List